QI Charging.

vindaloo

I recently got a "puck" style QI charger off eBay for small money, around a fiver. If I leave the screen unlocked/open on my Nexus 4, sometimes, the charger kicks in intermittently. Light shows charging, then it drops the charge, then tries again within a couple of seconds.... and repeat.

It's an irritating "feature". Though I'm generally pleased with its performance and keeping my fumble thumbs away from plugging it in all the time.

Would like to hear of others' wexperiences with this tech. And any issues/problems you may have encountered.

J.

The one that came with my phone (Nokia branded, but probably the same internally) has an unerring ability to start charging, then develop a charging fault, so you have to remove the phone and replace it. two or three goes, and it usually settles down.

I'm finding it nice, if I can only get the placement right every time.

I have a Nokia charger, and an eBay special. The eBay special very rarely charges, and it gets my phone very hot very quickly, at which point the phone stops charging. The Nokia one is perfect, although the phone does get hot occasionally.

It does seem you need to align the coils very precisely to get it to work.

Ah balls, mentioned the background, then forgot the more irritating bit. During the described charge/not charge, if the phone is unlocked, I've observed manic behaviour from the touchscreen. App icons highlighted/selected and apps starting up. That's the irritating bit.

Also seems related to positioning.

Have noticed phone getting hot but only when charging from low battery. i.e. hardly warm when topping up from80%.

Done some more digging.

Apparently my weird "artifacts" when charging are down to something called "grounding issues" or "Grounding effects". Environmental effects causing the hardware/software to misinterpret screen touches or ghost touches. Thankfully, my problem seems to be minor compared to some others' issues. (more on tablets than phnes though).

Also found a teardown of the Nexus 4.

https://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/Nexus+4+Teardown/11781

It shows the QI charging coil is directly under the battery - 3/5ths to 2/3rds of the way down the phone would seem to be the best place to position it on the charging puck.