Off to look at a 1.8 tsi 4x4

Hi Guys,

I'm looking at switching my much loved Mk2 Fabia vRS very soon and out of left field the Superb 2 1.8tsi 4x4 has come out as a likely replacement.  I have done my bit of searching in the sub forum and picked out some useful nuggets of info on the car.

Intended use will be an approx 10k miles a year in commuting to work, option of B road blast or motorway run, 2/3 times a year run down to the South West coast for surfing hols and the odd track day, (intent on lightly modifying the car and taking advantage of the 1.8 tsi lump)

So I'm looking for any and all useful input, be that on buying the car and things to check, general comments on ownership, any 4x4 owners who can comment on the drive and anyone who has entered into modifying their own luxo-barge.

I'll be testing the car out over the weekend, so can come back with my own findings too.

Thanks

Sparkly (AKA Mark)

• Like 1

Just for info, my Yeti (same drivetrain) is averaging 28mpg when it's not on track.

Is that by any chance in part due to some light tuning? Or about same as when stock. 

I appreciate that it won't be the best on fuel but it's annual miles aren't huge, have seen reports of 40+ mpg on motorway runs for the 1.8 Superb, will be interesting to see what it does on my test drive.

I would expect that the Yeti has a weight benefit (although not as much as I first thought),  but perhaps a small disadvantage when it comes to Aero, especially for Motorway use.

• Like 1

Is that any worse than when it was stock for the light tuning?

I would expect that the Yeti has a weight benefit (although not as much as I first thought),  but perhaps a small disadvantage when it comes to Aero, especially for Motorway use.

It's not changed from stock in terms of daily fuel consumption.

30mpg is a good day.

I expect you are right, the Yeti is probably around 50-100kg lighter and has more overall drag.

It's not changed from stock in terms of daily fuel consumption.

30mpg is a good day.

I expect you are right, the Yeti is probably around 50-100kg lighter and has more overall drag.

Good news that it is no worse for the tuning.

Mercifully the 1.8tsi is one of the lighter Superb's, I suspect for track some weight shedding will be moderately important :giggle:

Any actual Superb owners kicking about today?

Good news that it is no worse for the tuning.

Mercifully the 1.8tsi is one of the lighter Superb's, I suspect for track some weight shedding will be moderately important :giggle:

Any actual Superb owners kicking about today?

I'm kicking about. Have had the 2 litre petrol (not 4x4) for two years, my driving seems similar to your pattern. Went for petrol over diesel as it is quieter & I do quite a few short runs. It never feels heavy, in fact it's a real pleasure to drive. I bought mine new so really cannot comment on what to look for. i have not had any issues with mine at all.

• Like 1

I'm kicking about. Have had the 2 litre petrol (not 4x4) for two years, my driving seems similar to your pattern. Went for petrol over diesel as it is quieter & I do quite a few short runs. It never feels heavy, in fact it's a real pleasure to drive. I bought mine new so really cannot comment on what to look for. i have not had any issues with mine at all.

Have I missed a trick, what year cars is the 2.0 tsi available on?

Mines a 2012 model reg in September. I think that shortly after that they discontinued the 2.0

I was originally going for the 1.8 but was swayed to the 2.0 purely because it has the same 4 exhaust set up of the 3.6 v6. it just looked nicely balanced.

• Like 1

Mines a 2012 model reg in September. I think that shortly after that they discontinued the 2.0

I was originally going for the 1.8 but was swayed to the 2.0 purely because it has the same 4 exhaust set up of the 3.6 v6. it just looked nicely balanced.

What a beauty, and rare too, I can only find one second hand on autotrader.

And a much easier tune to 250bhp.

• Like 1

4X4 uses more fuel, don't let anyone tell you different, you have 4 loading rather than 2 so naturally the further you go the more you will pay,

1.8 may burn oil

1.8 may do it's bores in,

Personally I'd look for a 2.0CR diesel myself, you'll still possibly use oil but you'll be in the 50MPG bracket with that assuring torque.

2.0 tsi versions are super rare. Love the 4x4 it suites the car well and even with the 3.6 lump as standard it handles nicely. It's pretty easy to drive around and park. I get about 29-36 mpg lately from my 4x4 3.6

4X4 uses more fuel, don't let anyone tell you different, you have 4 loading rather than 2 so naturally the further you go the more you will pay,

1.8 may burn oil

1.8 may do it's bores in,

Personally I'd look for a 2.0CR diesel myself, you'll still possibly use oil but you'll be in the 50MPG bracket with that assuring torque.

I understood Haldex was switchable only driving the rears when the fronts slip, extra consumption is as much down to added weight as the Haldex no?

Not overly worried about MPG I want 4x4 and the lovely tunable 1.8 tsi

2.0tdi CR 140 has pretty limited tuning potential as an engine, and doesn't float my boat. My only other option would have been the V6 which is lovely but again harder to tune 1.8 tsi has a well trodden path to 300bhp+ with a K04 conversion.

As for oil issues, bwahahahaha, did you see what car I am coming from? :D

Besides I have bought it now.

• Like 3

Nice. Definitely buying a 4x4 next time.

Stick some photos up of your new toy

Sent from my XT890 using Tapatalk

Thanks, will do, won't be for a fortnight now, few bits and pieces to sort on the car and I am out of the country for 2 weeks from Tuesday.

nice - I drove a 2.0tdi 170 4x4 and really liked the way it went and handled, but it wasnt a good example of the car itself. Was going to go for a new 4x4 but at the last minute just decided to go FWD and winter tyres - my mileage is higher and i decided i didnt want the full-time mpg penalty. I was surprised how much different the mpg was even in a well run-in model I drove.

Enjoy it though and look forward to the thread.

• Like 1

I understood Haldex was switchable only driving the rears when the fronts slip, extra consumption is as much down to added weight as the Haldex no?

Not overly worried about MPG I want 4x4 and the lovely tunable 1.8 tsi

2.0tdi CR 140 has pretty limited tuning potential as an engine, and doesn't float my boat. My only other option would have been the V6 which is lovely but again harder to tune 1.8 tsi has a well trodden path to 300bhp+ with a K04 conversion.

As for oil issues, bwahahahaha, did you see what car I am coming from? :D

Besides I have bought it now.

I didn't realise you'd already signed on the line with it,

Knowing what you've just posted I would've said buy the 3.6 tbh, PTWR would mean there wouldn't be a whole lot in it mpg wise between the two,

Anyway, you've nailed it down now so I hope it's a good buy for you.

I didn't realise you'd already signed on the line with it,

Knowing what you've just posted I would've said buy the 3.6 tbh, PTWR would mean there wouldn't be a whole lot in it mpg wise between the two

Signed up to it yesterday.

I fancy the 1.8 tsi may actually return a few more MPG driven sensibly with some tuning and restrictions out of the way. Others have reported this and My vRS does at Stage 1 with some choice mods. The V6 is lush a really lovely motor but initial cost to buy is something else entirely and insurance too, tuned or stock it's a more expensive proposition and it's a heavy lump for weight distribution for track.

I'm happy with my choice

Signed up to it yesterday.

I fancy the 1.8 tsi may actually return a few more MPG driven sensibly with some tuning and restrictions out of the way. Others have reported this and My vRS does at Stage 1 with some choice mods. The V6 is lush a really lovely motor but initial cost to buy is something else entirely and insurance too, tuned or stock it's a more expensive proposition and it's a heavy lump for weight distribution for track.

I'm happy with my choice

It'll deffo be more eco than the V6, but all things considered with the tuning etc it might've been better to go for the boosted model,

Anyway, hope it turns out all you desire and you enjoy it, it's a pumpy little unit anyway tbh.

• Like 1

I understood Haldex was switchable only driving the rears when the fronts slip.....

The Haldex 4 fitted to your car provides a minimum of 2% drive to each rear wheel all the times unlike earlier versions.

• Like 1