18x9.5 alloys 2009 estate?

I was talking to wheel place today and he said that 18x8.5 on front and 18x9.5 on the rear will be dead on. He also told me my tyres 225-40-18 will fit on to them.

Any advice on this from anyone. 2009 fl estate.

18x8.5 on the front should be ok if et is around mid 40s. 225 on there will be stretched a little. 18x9.5 I'm not sure about as offset will play a big part for caliper clearance and tuck, 225 tyres on 9.5 ? Some serious stretch ! More info needed mate, I'm trying to get 19s fitted at 8.5j with 225s and a low offset of 32. They will have a wee bit of poke. Maybe someone else can clarify better !

18x8.5 on the front should be ok if et is around mid 40s. 225 on there will be stretched a little. 18x9.5 I'm not sure about as offset will play a big part for caliper clearance and tuck, 225 tyres on 9.5 ? Some serious stretch ! More info needed mate, I'm trying to get 19s fitted at 8.5j with 225s and a low offset of 32. They will have a wee bit of poke. Maybe someone else can clarify better !

the guy that selling me them is from a big wheel company that sells thousands of alloys so I hope he knows what he is talking about or I will have to tell him to send 9.5 back and order more 8.5s for rear. but I don't want to have to stick on any silly camber ect. the only reason I thought he was making sense was the rears do look like they sit in a good bit.

18x8s can stick out with the wrong offset, you can use 8.5 and 9.5 but if the offset is wrong its going to look pretty bad. 225/40 will fit, but they have a lot of stretch on the 9.5 rim. To avoid stretch and keep the 225s you need an 8 inch rim really with an offset of around the mid 40s.

Tyre manufacturer's recommendations

Tyre widths you can fit
to the rim width: 8.5"

Minimum tyre width 225

Ideal tyre width 235, 245

Maximum tyre width 255

Tyre widths you can fit
to the rim width: 9.5"

Minimum tyre width 245

Ideal tyre width 255, 265

Maximum tyre width 275

My rears sit just about flush at et40, theyre 18x9 et45 with a 5mm spacer, I would imagine you would want to be around mid 40s offset wise on a 9.5 and it should sit quite nicely

My rears sit just about flush at et40, theyre 18x9 et45 with a 5mm spacer, I would imagine you would want to be around mid 40s offset wise on a 9.5 and it should sit quite nicely

Yours do look like a tight enough fit. Are the spacers to clear the strut or just to get it sitting where you want it. Have you any photos of just the rear wheel arch to show how it sits?

I've got 9.5" on the rear of mine. Think the ET is 45. No bother, but my tyres do have a bit of stretch on them.

Any photos? And also do you have any problems with rubbing on the rear. What tyres are you using on rears 

Just looked in my manual and the widest rim you can use legally with 225/40R18 tyres is 9 inch. 9.5's would be illegal.

Now you have put the cat amongst the pigeons.  Just wait for the die-hard tyre stretchers to leap in to say it's not illegal.

Will check what tyres...

6una3ete.jpg

avesy7ub.jpg

7yhegazy.jpg

No problems with arches or scraping... It's currently about 50mm lower than standard too.

Is that a vRS? 50mm lower?  It doesn't look any lower than my standard height vRS hatch.

The pics are on H&R 30mm cup kit. It's now on coilovers with no issues with clearance.

looks very nice. does not stick out as far as I thought it would. Are you having to run any camber ect to clear the arches on the coilovers? I will prob run my 225-40-18s until I can afford maybe a slightly wider tyre on the rear.

nice motor

I was talking to wheel place today and he said that 18x8.5 on front and 18x9.5 on the rear will be dead on. He also told me my tyres 225-40-18 will fit on to them.

Any advice on this from anyone. 2009 fl estate.

Personally i'd never fully trust the advice of someone who is trying to sell me something.  He might be right but you'd be better off doing your own research to be sure.  As above the offset is the key, plus personal preferences e.g. if you're happy with poke/stretch/tuck etc.    The offset calcultors on-line are easy to use so its not difficult to work out how your new rims will sit vs. oe.   The Octavia rears are a narrower track so you yes you could have wider rim or reduced offset to match the fronts. 

On mine with a 30-40 mm drop i found 8" wide and ET45 perfect at the fronts - rears might have been better at ET40 but they don't make the rims in that size.  Also if you have same size front and back you can rotate your tyres more easily.

Spacers on the rear of mine are purely for the look, I've spaced the fronts 3mm for strut clearance however as they are 18x9 all round. I'll have a look if I have a pic as those wheels are off at the moment as I did have a buyer for them but as always it fell through lol.

for the 3 guys who posted pics. all 3 look nice on the setups you have. can I just ask when you hit a big bump ect do the rear wheels clear the arch as in go up inside the arch without hitting.

I have actually put of buying my wheels just for now as my work situation has changed slightly but I will be getting back to this lol. the wheels I WILL get at some point soon are Bola B1.

bit different from the normal euro look. cant post a pic of them I take it you need photobucket or something like that.?