Sparkly's Racing Barge 1.8tsi 4x4

Sparkly

Superb vRS sounds great! Should be cost effective as well with a well trodden path of upgrades.

I think your biggest challenge will be handling and less so stopping :)

You can always go original and supercharge it instead turboeing it ;)

• Like 1

There you go, I found a perfect one for you and if you do not know what you are looking at people will think you run normal turbo!!

http://www.paxtonauto.com/product.php?id=157

You will need to coach me on the technical aspects of how you would achieve this conversion :D

I can only assume it is more complicated than taking a ready to bolt on kit like the APR K04 conversion or Loba options.

Those power figures are immense but I imagine they don't reference the 1.8TSI, I hadn't imagined that a Supercharger would really suit the character of the 1.8 and would have thought it would massacre fuel consumption.

Short term plan is to get the APR downpipe, perhaps S3 intercooler also and jump straight to Stage 2. Would hope to get around 220/230bhp from the car.

A nice starting point.

• Like 1

Stuff the yellow wrap and taxi sign. Wrap it in batternburg colours add a few lights and have some fun hehe

Sent from my Galaxy S5

On the same tuning principle, I was looking at a boot lip spoiler. Gotta be worth equivalent of 20bhp in Aero yeah?

Sparkly, with reference to the supercharger post by Jabo and fuel consumption, I can confirm that bigger turbo or supercharger would increase fuel consumption greatly.

At Blyton Park the Golf did 60 miles on 3/4 of a tank of fuel, I worked this out to be approximately 5 mpg.   :doh:

Any upgrades to your 1.8 with regards more boost will probably compromise your daily drive economy.

• Like 1

Sparkly, with reference to the supercharger post by Jabo and fuel consumption, I can confirm that bigger turbo or supercharger would increase fuel consumption greatly.

At Blyton Park the Golf did 60 miles on 3/4 of a tank of fuel, I worked this out to be approximately 5 mpg.   :doh:

Any upgrades to your 1.8 with regards more boost will probably compromise your daily drive economy.

I'd expect the Super to be a much worse offender, both K04 Yeti's seem to give normal consumption when not receiving the boot.

I'm an optimist and genuinely think there's a moderate chance of not hurting MPG too hard (when driven gently)

On track MPG is neither here nor there as not a big factor in annual fuel costs.

I'm braced to be proved wrong too of course.

I am out of the country until the 16th, collect the car on the 18th.

Not invisible, just a rather uninspiring silver.

Ahh fair enough, the 18th seems like ages away! 

• Like 1

Oh well, I thought you wanted something original since Yeti wtc are already ;). You flow more air you burn more fuel you get more power, physics :).

Granted, off the shelf kits tend to be more practical and almost always cheaper...

It's just... I don't know, everybody can do it, like no challenge in it, just write a cheque and hey presto one of many 1.8 TFI with K04 /loba bolt on. Nothing wrong with that of course and unless I was building a track toy I'd the same thing :).

Oh well, I thought you wanted something original since Yeti wtc are already ;). You flow more air you burn more fuel you get more power, physics :).

Granted, off the shelf kits tend to be more practical and almost always cheaper...

It's just... I don't know, everybody can do it, like no challenge in it, just write a cheque and hey presto one of many 1.8 TFI with K04 /loba bolt on. Nothing wrong with that of course and unless I was building a track toy I'd the same thing :).

Don't know how you read my post Jabo

I was genuinely asking how this might be achieved as opposed to criticising the idea. I have not got the tech expertise of how you convert a turbo'd car to a super. In particular a chain driven lump like the 1.8tsi. My brain can just reach to the principles of bolt on bigger turbo, but I am no mechanic and have no shame in saying as much.

Bolt on option, is an easy path, and in my mind nothing wrong with that, as you say the plan for the Superb is that it is not solely a track toy. But it may just be something a little different solely by virtue of being a Superb, that's pretty much it. I am not, and never will be, claiming I am anything more than a collection of bits of info accrued on here from smarter people and engine-wise I am more than likely going to tread the path of greater men than myself and step in their far larger footsteps. If that means writing a cheque, then so be it, I'll have to do it at some point as I haven't the faintest how to switch out a turbo or remap an ECU.

But it doesn't diminish my interest in making something a little different

So I genuinely am all ears

• Like 1

Don't know how you read my post Jabo.

But I was genuinely asking how this might be achieved as opposed to criticising the idea. I have not got the tech expertise of how you convert a turbo'd car to a super. In particular a chain driven lump like the 1.8tsi. My brain can just reach to the principles of bolt on bigger turbo.

Bolt on option, is an easy path, and in my mind nothing wrong with that, as you say the plan for the Superb is that it is not solely a track toy.

But it doesn't diminish my interest in making something unique.

So I genuinely am all ears

Unique? Well a black and yellow chequer roof for a start ..... What are you going for on suspension? H&R?
  • Like 1

Unique? Well a black and yellow chequer roof for a start ..... What are you going for on suspension? H&R?

Springs and ARB's from H&R to get up and running, hoping Alex at AKS can sort me out.

As for how to do it it'd have to be a fully bespoke job. First hurdle is installation as space would have to be found in the engine bay (not such a big problem) then solid fixing method developed and fabricated to allow for it to be belt driven from the existing system. Different belt would have to be sourced as well. Potentially a magnetic clutch as in Fab vRS could be an option for NA low load cruise mode. Best thing about that Paxton is boost from idle and very cool running compared to turbo giving the engine increased boost ceiling and more power.

Biggest challenge would be mapping. Either bespoke ECU or hybrid system with separate blower ecu supplementing OEM one.

What I personally really like about it is the looks of it (like big a$$ turbo :D ), low heat load of the charge, instant boost and huge power available. Also, no need for great intake sticking from the top of your bonnet like on US blowed cars and being one of its kind.

What I do not like is the amount of buggeration involved and large cost of such a project due to it being fully bespoke compared to buying a kit. I was very inspired by fully electric Skoda at Blyton - what an excellent piece of engineering!

Having said all of that I'd personally go for an off the shelf kit :)

I was genuinely asking how this might be achieved as opposed to criticising the idea. I have not got the tech expertise of how you convert a turbo'd car to a super. In particular a chain driven lump like the 1.8tsi. My brain can just reach to the principles of bolt on bigger turbo, but I am no mechanic and have no shame in saying as much.

You'll never keep the "built not bought" boys happy, but very few of them build their own intercoolers, turbos and map thier cars.

Nice stickers though. :)

Fortunately the tuning hobby is diverse and there is space for all of us.

At least most of this kit will go on a 1.8tsi Yeti later on... ;)

• Like 1

You'll never keep the "built not bought" boys happy, but very few of them build their own intercoolers, turbos and map thier cars.

Nice stickers though. :)

Fortunately the tuning hobby is diverse and there is space for all of us.

At least most of this kit will go on a 1.8tsi Yeti later on... ;)

At the end of the day it's down to personal preference! Arguments like that really doesn't bother, as you say how many of these people build their own engine mounts or mill their own flywheels? I will be attempting to do a lot of my stuff myself but that's only because of my trade I couldn't give a damn if I built it or someone else did it's my car and it goes how I want it to and that's all that matters!
  • Like 1