fault code 17573 now!

Just tried driving with the MAF disconnected. I couldn't feel any difference really. Maybe a tad slower accelerating.

Codes appeared:

But I unplugged it before starting.

Am I supposed to unplug it while its running?

Edited by Brit24

Many thanks to Gizmo68! I am planning to meet up with him to use his vcds this weekend.

I had a good look for air leaks this evening by spraying carb cleaner around the hoses/joints etc but no changes in rpm.

As he suspects it might be the MAF as there was no change in performance when I unplugged it.

Old Bosch MAF was making it ping and brought up lean codes. New cheap aftermarket MAF makes it run a little rich (at least no pinging), unless there is an air leak I haven't found.

Looking forward to seeing the vcds in action. The local skoda garage used vcds but probably chose not to look into the trims in detail. They just printed out the fault codes and said well it could be x, y or z, we'll start by changing x.

(in fact I almost bought a used one on ebay today but the price skyrocketed in the last couple of hours)

Met up with Gizmo68 this afternoon and he very kindly used his vcds on my AZJ engine.

We found a few codes.

One was that the MAF was not working properly (aftermarket!!) - low output

Air intake temp sensor - high output intermittent  (incidentally I could not find the location of this? Is it located on the throttle body itself?

16497 - Intake Air Temp. Sensor (G42)
P0113 - 35-10 - Signal too High -Intermittent

16486 -Mass Air Flow Sensor (G70)
P0102 -35 -10 - Signal too low - Intermittent

But we had a very high short term fuel trim at around 25% indicating an air leak somewhere. But where? We had a look and couldn't find anything obvious. All lines were in very good shape he said. Engine was too hot to spray on them.

Have to have a spray around again when it cools down. Or at the last resort take it in for a smoke test.

In  the meantime I need to source an original Bosch MAF.

What about misterauto? Are these 3 likely to be original Bosch parts? I have used misterauto before.

Carpartsuk do not have the correct model for my engine.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/291112947499

or

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/291064907313

or

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/160686491816

My local TPS is a bit of a trek away unfortunately.

Edited by Brit24

Had a triple check for air leaks today. around every hose possible including up to the brake servo. Should be a significant leak with 25% fuel trim but can't find anything.

Was suggested on the VW forum that it might be the MAF causing this also.

Cannock skoda do a smoke test for 35 quid. Maybe worth it especially considering the extra fuel its burning.

Did a lot of searching today and finally purchased online a Bosch from GSF car parts in Birmingham with a 30 pound refund on the old unit. TPS wouldn't help me! 

Hopefully will arrive tomorrow and fingers crossed.

On your air temp sensor, you could try dropping it in an egg cup full of Isopropyl alcohol, to see if it makes an improvement.

Also, you could check if you have a thing called a brake jet valve fitted like they have on the auq engines, as these are a plastic y pipe and have a habit of splitting in the cold.

On your air temp sensor, you could try dropping it in an egg cup full of Isopropyl alcohol, to see if it makes an improvement.

Also, you could check if you have a thing called a brake jet valve fitted like they have on the auq engines, as these are a plastic y pipe and have a habit of splitting in the cold.

If I could find it! I'm having trouble locating it the temp sensor!

Looking everywhere and can't seem to find it. Very strange. Looked at images on google for hours but nothing came up.

I'll have a look at the brake jet valve thingy if it has one.

Cheers

If I could find it! I'm having trouble locating it the temp sensor!

Looking everywhere and can't seem to find it. Very strange. Looked at images on google for hours but nothing came up.

I'll have a look at the brake jet valve thingy if it has one.

Cheers

Had another good luck around the bay. The AZJ engine seems to be quite unique compared to the others. Actually quite simple but cannot find any guides or manuals for it.

From the brake booster there is one L shaped connector and the one way valve a bit nearer the engine. Both these areas I have checked and sprayed cleaner around them while idling.

One area where I haven't sprayed properly is the bottom of the inlet manfold around the gasket area near the engine block. Will try that tomorrow in the light.

Apart from that I believe I have followed all of the vacuum lines.

Maybe a valve. There is a cap on the top of the inlet manifold which I don't know what it is. If it comes off or not. Also the cap at the front of the plenum chamber. Will get some photos up shortly.

Cheers

Edited by Brit24

Got some questions here.

The cap on top of the inlet manifold. What is this for?

Throttle body and tube up to it doesn't appear to have any intake air temp sensor. Shouldn't it be located here?

The valve on the front near the dipstick - is this a one way valve? Can this cause vacuum leaks?

And is this the MAP device with the sensor wires coming out (with the metal clip on the throttle body)?

Thanks

post-118772-0-04702800-1408391541_thumb.jpg

post-118772-0-65583100-1408391541_thumb.jpg

post-118772-0-16210500-1408391542_thumb.jpg

post-118772-0-62057300-1408391542_thumb.jpg

post-118772-0-16313400-1408391786_thumb.jpg

Edited by Brit24

Just checked on Elsawin, and the air temp sensor is integral with the g70 air mass meter - so fix one, fix both by the looks of it;

Cheers!

Just read the same in the Haynes manual an hour ago also. Except for the 1.4, and the 1.8 has an additional sensor.

So looks like the new Bosch 0280218060 I ordered today should fix both fault codes, MAF and air temp sensor. So no wonder we couldn't find any extra sensor.

Fingers crossed.

New Bosch MAF arrived with all the correct seals and stickers on it in original box from GSF parts in Birmingham.

5 mins later and engine idling well.

going out on the road later.

What I did notice is that the miles left on current amount of fuel went from 50 miles yesterday to 60 miles today. Maybe a hint that its working as it should.

We'll see!

Sending the aftermarket maf back for a full refund and the old bosch back for an exchange refund.

Just got back from a shopping run and all ran very well. Just have to give it some time to adjust and hope no lights come on.

Engine did feel smoother, crisper, not too lean or rich.

Accelerated very nicely to 80 in 3rd gear!

Edited by Brit24

The car starts up from cold so much better now. After 2 days of sitting it idles at 1150 so smoothly and then settled down to 850 or so with no fluctuations . Good sign that the original Bosch is working well so far.