New To Me!

Hi there,

Here are some pics of my new (to me) 2011 CR170 Elegance manual in, well, Candy White! She's in lovely condition, albeit with a couple of minor dings that I'll be getting get sorted over the next few weeks.

After looking at all the discussions on the DLR, I ordered Cree LED's from HID Direct ahead of the car being delivered, and just changed them and think they look a lot better; hope you agree. Don't know whether to keep the Superb badges on the front doors, but I do think they look good. Be interested to hear your views. I would like to get the aerial painted or wrapped in white too; anyone done this mod?

Cheers...

post-499-0-16366000-1407163184_thumb.jpg

post-499-0-65386500-1407163207_thumb.jpg

post-499-0-30163600-1407163232_thumb.jpg

post-499-0-73769400-1407163271_thumb.jpg

post-499-0-11937700-1407163300_thumb.jpg

post-499-0-67478700-1407163328_thumb.jpg

post-499-0-05517800-1407163341_thumb.jpg

post-499-0-76365700-1407163354_thumb.jpg

Welcome to the superb club. :)

Personally I'd go with the previous two comments and remove the side wording and keep the aerial black.

Cheers

Dave.

Welcome to the superb club. :)

Personally I'd go with the previous two comments and remove the side wording and keep the aerial black.

Cheers

Dave.

Thanks for your comments. Understand about the side wording but why not paint/wrap the aerial? Not being colour-coded just looks a bit?

I thought the same when I first got the car and thought it would look better matching the colour of the car but I've since seen quite a few other VWs and Audis with the same black aerial so I guess it's just one of the VAG querks.

Anyway maybe I've just gotten used to it but I don't mind the black aerial now.

Cheers

Dave.

Don't know a lot about wrapping but it strikes me as a difficult shape to cover. Would painting give you a decent finish? Doesn't the black plastic have a textured surface?

Sent from my XT890 using Tapatalk

Nice car.

Never seen one with the door badges before, were they standard, optional, or did the previous owner put them there?. My initial thought was to remove them but now I'm thinking why not leave them, they're not so bad and give it a different look to other Superbs.

The bulb upgrade looks great too. 

I've seen a few people mention the Cree's lately for pre FL models. I have a 2013 FL with factory LED's and xenons but standard cornering fogs and am now wondering if they will be ok in the FL so they match the LED's and headlights at night time when corner function/reversing is active.

Anyone tried them yet in the FL fogs?.

looks great!

ditch the badges - they'll catch lots of crud in that location. Personally I'd de-badge the boot as well. Its the first thing I did!

You could try Plasti-dip on the aerial as you can easily take it off if you dont like it or mess it up.

Yeah I think I'm going to keep the badge on the doors. Not sure about the aerial as yet. Need to change-over the reversing bulbs to LED and going to test the puddle and door mirror lamps too. Really looking forward to having a long drive at the weekend.

Anyone tried them yet in the FL fogs?.

As CREE bulbs are projector type, I don't think they will work very well as fog lights on the car - the beam pattern comes from the reflector housing, which will need the correct [incandescent] H8 reflector bulb.

• Like 1

As CREE bulbs are projector type, I don't think they will work very well as fog lights on the car - the beam pattern comes from the reflector housing, which will need the correct [incandescent] H8 reflector bulb.

Good point - I just don't think the standard bulbs go too well with the LED DRL's and xenon headlights. 

Good point - I just don't think the standard bulbs go too well with the LED DRL's and xenon headlights.

I agree with you there for sure. I think it all looks very odd as you effectively have three different lighting types at work, xenon, LED and yellow halogens. Having said that the fogs are fairly redundant given the strength of the xenons although you have to use them of course if you want to switch on the rear ones. Front fog lights are not even offered on some cars anymore

Nice looking Superb, they do look good in white.

Front parking sensors too, is that part of Park Assist?

I'm not a fan of the door badges, a little too 'Halfords' for me.

I've also yet to see a set of LED's that are as bright as the halogen DRL's, even the CREE's. There is nothing as good as the standard bulb for utilising the reflector to maximise output so I've stuck with the factory set-up.

I put my efforts into the rear cluster LED upgrade instead to maintain the OEM look...

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/317380-skoda-superb-mkii-pre-facelift-led-rear-light-cluster-conversion/

I'd like to see the roof aeriel colour coded - give it a try and report back!

• Like 1

I agree with you there for sure. I think it all looks very odd as you effectively have three different lighting types at work, xenon, LED and yellow halogens. Having said that the fogs are fairly redundant given the strength of the xenons although you have to use them of course if you want to switch on the rear ones. Front fog lights are not even offered on some cars anymore

I've rarely had to use them as fogs, but as cornering lights they come on a lot when the xenons are on, and when you select reverse they both come on when the xenons are on. Given they get quite a bit of use for cornering and reversing they are not as redundant as you might think.

I've rarely had to use them as fogs, but as cornering lights they come on a lot when the xenons are on, and when you select reverse they both come on when the xenons are on. Given they get quite a bit of use for cornering and reversing they are not as redundant as you might think.

Yeah they do come on a lot as you say but I just don't find them of any real benefit as cornering lights either. I find it difficult to differentiate the halogen glow from the xenon but maybe its just me!

I have these mtec super white bulbs on my pre-FL. Much better colour match to the xenons (@4350K) than the warm-white halogens:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/271133011931

http://www.hids-dire...9004-9005-9006/

I also have CREE DRLs, which are again a good match for the xenons (although you never see them on together on mine), and also pure white LEDs for the parking lights (which are on at the same time as the xenons on mine).

Edited by JakeBlade
  • Like 1

Yeah they do come on a lot as you say but I just don't find them of any real benefit as cornering lights either. I find it difficult to differentiate the halogen glow from the xenon but maybe its just me!

I agree fully with your comments from a drivers point of view, it was more the point that someone outside the car really notices the different bulbs when you are manoeuvring - just doesn't look quite right.

Are these mtec for your fogs Jake? What about sidelights? Anyone managed to get these whiter. Would get the front of the car all singing off the same hymn sheet

Sent from my XT890 using Tapatalk

Yes, the MTEC for the fog lights.

Assuming that the FL sidelights are the same as in the pre-FL (w5w/t10) I have these installed: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/130976781942

Nice white light, no hint of blue.