Replacement Engines, Engine Numbers, V5, DVLA, Skoda UK. What Happened.

Please,

Just a question for those that have had a New or Refurnished Engine Fitted by a Skoda Dealership in the UK.

Really only those that experienced the process yourself. 

(no interest in what you have heard happens, from anyone that has not had the Experience themself.)

?

So what was done by the Dealership or what were you told?

Did the New/Replacement Engine Numbers get put on the V5 and sent to the DVLA with a Covering Letter or Invoice 

& the V5 changed, and Skoda provide new VIN stickers for the car with the Replacement Engine Numbers on?

(Is the Service Book written up with the date and mileage of the Engine Change?)

The Dealership told you that the engine came without Engine Numbers and they Stamped your old Numbers on and nothing 

required doing with the V5.

(Is the Service Book written up with the date and mileage of the engine change?)

Something Else !

In my case there was no change to engine number. Therefore no change required to the V5. The replacement engine carries the same number as the original engine. The dealership stapled a photocopy of the replacement engine's identification sticker in the back of my service record together with an entry noting the date of the change. The old engine is returned to the factory for refurbishment at it's original number voided.

George, no new engine number, no need for me to tell dvla, nothing in my service book and NO actual info given for the stealers, no invoices etc etc

considering this was done over 1 year ago, ive ONLY just had a letter confirming that the engine change was carried out as i just kept asking Slowda over and over again, should i have needed to do this, not acceptable imho

• Like 1

I am hoping for a Reply from 'austenw90' because he went over it with Skoda UK.

One thing is for certain, in the UK, EU, US and around the world,  & that is New Engines and Refurnished /Refurbished /Remanufactured engines have permanent 

Engine Numbers on them as a ID, and anyone Removing them and Replacing with other Numbers need good Reason like they are a Engine Rebuilder.

Then they keep records of Numbers, have Stamps and someone Responsible to Restamp and Change the Numbers.

Blank Engines are not sitting in Stock for sale and Transportation around the World.

& the Driver / Owner is responsible now or in the Future if the Engine Numbers do not match Different Government Agency Data Bases.

So being professional Skoda, Skoda UK & Skoda Dealerships will no doubt do things properly.

Odd that there are so many Variations among what has been said to happen & people have been told just among those in this section over the past 3 years.

george

A very interesting and important topic here for anyone having an engine replacement or had one already.

I contacted VOSA who advised speaking with the DVLA. Their exact words were:

"VOSA do not need to be notified if the engine is changed in a vehicle,

however you do need to notify the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency

(DVLA)"

I contacted DVLA and as expected they confirmed that any change of engine number or engine capacity needs to be advised by completing the relevant section in your V5 logbook and sending off to them. They will then re-issue a new log book.

Now when speaking with dealers and Skoda UK, they seem to be saying don't worry there is no need to do anything so seem to be misleading customers.

I was told the engine number won't change but fail to see how this would be true. Surely every engine has a unique number for the reasons outlined above.

I never got round to sorting it before getting rid.

I got a copy of the invoice which gave a detailed breakdown of all parts. It appeared they didn't even bother putting new spark plugs in or at least couldn't confirm afterwards. Shocking service and possible cost cutting to the penny.

Edited by austenw90
  • Like 1

I know that you, the OP said don't butt in if you have not been involved in this yet, but, forgetting all the fuss about government agencies needing to know the correct number of the engine now fitted - there is a more important issue for the current owner and future owners and that is this - when sourcing any replacement parts, exactly how can any tie up with what has been fitted to that engine, both originally at engine build and later at VAG engine refurbishment.  What I am getting at is, any engine model (type/code), throughout its "production life" will get changes/mods, some cosmetic some slightly more serious and some that have a knock on effect on exactly what parts need bought on later rebuild. VAG will hold a record off all these production changes and their POE (point of embodiment).

The smart money should have always been for VAG to add an identifier to an engine serial number, but to always retain that engine's "as built" serial number, and that means if you are getting a replacement off the shelf then you MUST be getting a replacement engine with a new serial number - otherwise how do VAG expect to control this, or do they not give a ***k about what happens further down the line/life of that car, which seems strange as they are meant to be able to give service/parts support for at least 10 years.

• Like 2

Cheers,

Regarding the engines this Post and Questions were about. 1.4 TSI Twincahargers 132 -136 kW , CAVE & CTHE as fitted to the Fabia Mk2 vRS,

(Polo GTI. Audi A1 185 ps, Seat Ibiza Cupra.)

The Replacement engines supplied for replacement is for the engines produced from 2009-2012 for cars for sale from 2010-2012 while designated CAVE

are sometimes said to be New, and sometimes admitted that some are Reburbished, and have parts from the CAVE and some Upgraded parts,

as in the Engines produced from late 2012 - 2014, Designated CTHE Engines.

CTHE Engines and ECU's do not go in cars that originally had CAVE engines.

The truth behind if you get a New or Reburbished CAVE engine is for the person getting it fitted to ask Skoda if they are bothered.

& the truth if it is just a like for like replacement as to standard CAVE or there are any internal part upgrades and improvements 

is just something Skoda can tell you.  Best ask in writing.

george

Edited by goneoffSKi
  • Like 1

I have had a replacement engine fitted by skoda UK. they say i do NOT need to inform the dvla and there's no changed to my v5 needed but can you confirm this as i always though a new/replacement engine would have a unique engine number or can skoda do this change and keep the original engine number?

ive just sent this email to the DVLA, lets see what they say about all this, wonder what chain of events this starts

Edited by the mad monk
  • Like 2

I was told, by both dealer and Skoda Customer Service person that arranged my engine change, that I need do nothing, the same engine number is on the new engine.

This has always baffled me because I was always under the belief that any engine had a unique number, otherwise there are now probably hundreds of same number engines knocking around somewhere?

I'll watch this thread with interest as I record all my phone calls and will be digging them out if needed!

• Like 1

John Good @ Skoda UK is a Customer Relations Manager,

and might be a good person to address any enquiry about Engine Numbers, to get a written reply giving the full story.

It has been up in the air for long enough with the Dealers & Skoda UK saying the Same Numbers are on the Replacement Engines as the original.

New Engines delivered minus Engine Numbers and numbers stamped at Dealerships etc.

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/264592-new-14-tsi-engine-fittedbut

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/271147-have-i-been-fooled

Dear Mr xxxx

Thank you for your email received on 6/8/14. Your email reference number is xxxxxxx.

You will need to notify us if you had a new engine put in your vehicle. Every Skoda engine will have its own unique engine number.

The V5C Registration Certificate must be filled in with the new information on section 7 and signed the declaration in section 8 as the Registered Keeper.

If the changes do not affect your vehicle tax, you will need to send the V5C and any additional documentation to:

DVLA

Swansea

SA99 1BA

now then, this really does concern me, the DVLA are saying we DO need to inform them. Am I, and others, driving illegally thanks to Slowda?

something as simple as changing one thing for another should be as clear cut not as clear as mud as slowda would have us believe

• Like 3

Mad Monk, please can you forward a copy of that email from the DVLA to Skoda customer services and ask them to comment?

You might want to add that there are now a number of Briskoda members concerned that Skoda are not acting within the law by using the same engine number for the replacement engines.

Thanks.

• Like 1

I bet they recon other faulty engines. Whilst doing this remove the engine number. Then replace the engine number with the 'new' customers before it gets to you.

Sent from my Galaxy S5

• Like 1

^^

I'd second that. 

What Skoda cannot do it to have two engines with the same number in public domain, which is never the case. Faulty engine gets effectively decommissioned by the manufacturer and goes for full refurbishment. Rufurbished CAVE without engine number, just factory serial ID number arrives at the dealers and they stamp it to correspond with the one which was just taken out faulty for total refurb. All fine, you never have two engines with the same serial number and you do not change engine number in your car. 

This way there is no public record of how many engines were changed as authorities do not need to be notified - clever.

The New Engines  'Base Engines' were coming from Stock around the World, not Return & Exchange.

I have seen the Invoices for these Engines at over 4,000 Euro.

(Early on Short Units and Rebuilds of your own Engine were a different thing,

but as Skoda Uk's Customers Services Relations Manager John Good told a member not so long ago, 

we only supply Complete Units not Short Units.)

Then we were told that there were a Stock now being held in the UK to speed up the replacement, & that was only over 1 month ago.

Again these were Complete  1.4 TSI Base Engines', wrapped and with the attached Paperwork& Stickers / Barcodes.

So no the VW Remanufacturing are not Producing Engines with Clone Numbers in the Knowledge the Twin Number will get back to them in a few weeks or months.

The Replacement engine can be delivered within a few days, sitting in the Crate next to the car with the faulty engine still in the car,

and the components and changed over, and the Faulty Engine transported back.

So the People changing Numbers will be in the Workshop Exchanging engines. If they are Stamping the Originals on a Block with a 

Unique Engine Number already on it.

george

A pinched picture from the forum, of a members Replacement 'Base 1.4 TSI' awaiting the fitting off.

Edited by goneoffSKi

If it's any help, we replaced an engine under warranty (non VW brand) in a car and that came ready stamped with the same number as the engine which we were replacing.

So it could be common procedure across a number of manufacturers to pre stamp the engine for a specific car.

Many of these engines are coming from Stock held in the UK,

not in direct from Germany as they were when there were greater delays.

Edited by goneoffSKi

• 1 month later...

In answer to the original post by goneoffski, 

1) No

2) No

3) Nothing.

Nada, zilch. Skoda UK and retailer completely silent on almost everything.

No stamps in book, no writing up, no stickers in book or anywhere on car and only advice given was that I didn't need to inform DVLA which is obviously at odds with madmonk information above.

I have written to Skoda UK today to pursue a host of issues, let's see what happens.

• Like 1

Following a telephone conversation with Skoda UK earlier today I can now confirm that the official word from them is that the replacement engine came "blank" and was then stamped by the retailer who changed the engine with the same engine number as the one that was replaced, nothing has been noted in my Service book as yet although that is still under discussion. Skoda UK solution takes the form of a 2 line email confirming an engine change took place, they have said I can print off the email if I want and then append to the back of the Service book. Therefore as it is the same engine number they seen no need to inform DVLA of the engine change.

I don't want to put too much on here as I understand Skoda UK have people reading here regularly, but I will say this; the parameters you set when you risk assessed exactly how little you could get away with doing in terms of Customer Service are going to come back and bite you on the backsides, and big time at that. It is a disgrace that a global manufacturer cares so little about customer, so little about said customer's rights, or indeed the inconvenience and disruption that their poorly manufactured product can and has caused. At various times today during the conversation I got the distinct impression that they were p****ng down my leg and telling me it was raining. Unfortunately for them, neither me or indeed any other member or customer that I will help from here on in came up the Clyde yesterday in a banana boat. I will be taking this further.

To give a flavour of why I am so irked, imagine having Skoda UK try to tell you that the replacement of the failed product, the engine, was a goodwill gesture in itself. Ffs the car is still under manufacturers warranty until May next year. Their poor product failed at 2 years old and 21k on the clock because of their inadequacy, not mine. 

Or that despite all the hassle, disruption, inconvenience and downright cheek from one of their franchised dealers, that no other goodwill gestures would be forthcoming. Apparently that's because I bought the car from Arnold Clark ford rather than a skoda dealer, and therefore no loyalty to the brand.

I'm not great with the search function on here, and vrskeith and george have been brilliant, can someone point me in the direction of austenw30 letter to Alistair Stewart? I'm in the middle of pondering exactly where to pitch this and his letter would be very useful.

The Engine Numbers are on the Block, and they were on the Block of Short Units.

But the Replacement Engines are 'Base Engines', New or Refurnished.  & that is what the Engine Is.

A Cylinder Head can also have a Number, but here it is Replacement Engines we are talking about.