Columbus query

Does anyone who have columbus fitted do this when it's on 3d mode

39E9E19C-7B98-4469-9AA5-C082DDEBDF54_zps

Also my fm signal is crap and keeps dropping off does anyone else get this, do I need new swirl or signal booster

Thanxs ian

Also my fm signal is crap and keeps dropping off does anyone else get this, do I need new swirl or signal booster

I'm not sure what a swirl is but the problem is probably down to the aerial base.

There is a way to see the signal strength so await further instructions from someone who knows how to see that!

I'm not sure what a swirl is but the problem is probably down to the aerial base.

There is a way to see the signal strength so await further instructions from someone who knows how to see that!

hahahaha not swirl I meant aeriel lol ow cool any help be good cause signal is really bad :(

Hold down 'Setup' until you get to 'Radio' menu. Press 'FM' on the screen. Reception strength will be displayed.

Is yours a pre-FL car? If so, it probably only has one aerial whereas the Columbus has two. Yours may be connected to the wrong one to get FM (it needs to in the one nearest the GPS connector).

If it's a new development any not new Columbus fitting related, then it's probably the aerial base on the roof getting water ingress & corrosion.

PS: if you zoom in on the map (turn right dial) the blue sky / horizon line will disappear.

Hold down 'Setup' until you get to 'Radio' menu. Press 'FM' on the screen. Reception strength will be displayed.

Is yours a pre-FL car? If so, it probably only has one aerial whereas the Columbus has two. Yours may be connected to the wrong one to get FM (it needs to in the one nearest the GPS connector).

If it's a new development any not new Columbus fitting related, then it's probably the aerial base on the roof getting water ingress & corrosion.

PS: if you zoom in on the map (turn right dial) the blue sky / horizon line will disappear.

Yh mines pre fl, I took some pics does this look ok

D84EEE07-BA6A-4659-81C5-E81092C33840_zps

951B278E-66C9-471C-A851-E29C01617ED6_zps

You only have one antenna connected. Good news is that it's the right one for FM.

In the location you are in the pictures, the reception isn't great. Q: Mono is fair obvious. RDS: 99 is as good as it gets and your bar across the bottom is quite low.

However, drive a couple if feet and that may change: at least it does around here!

Your firmware is 5270, so that's very up to date. It's ibviously been updated with a modified firmware as it's a pre-FL (unless it's a retro fitted Columbus bought recently).

Map version of 7918 is, I believe, v.10 so again very up to date.

My guess is your poor reception is down to only having one aerial (awaits discussion about adapters) and, more importantly, probably down to water ingress into the roof mounted aerial base.

• Like 1

You only have one antenna connected. Good news is that it's the right one for FM.

In the location you are in the pictures, the reception isn't great. Q: Mono is fair obvious. RDS: 99 is as good as it gets and your bar across the bottom is quite low.

However, drive a couple if feet and that may change: at least it does around here!

Your firmware is 5270, so that's very up to date. It's ibviously been updated with a modified firmware as it's a pre-FL (unless it's a retro fitted Columbus bought recently).

Map version of 7918 is, I believe, v.10 so again very up to date.

My guess is your poor reception is down to only having one aerial (awaits discussion about adapters) and, more importantly, probably down to water ingress into the roof mounted aerial base.

thanxs for the info fella big help I will prob get a new aeriel just see if makes a difference? Is there a uprated aeriel they do for the octy maybe fl or mk3 aeriel fit?

Also I have a spk function on columbus do I need a mic for this to work? Also I've ordered my aeriel spilt for back columbus see if that makes difference!!

Aerial splitter won't make any difference to the reception. It's still working off the same aerial!

It may show that both antenna inputs are connected and clear the 'open circuit' fault code stored in the car (visible with a VCDS scan).

There is a different aerial for the FL. You can also get a VAG shark fin antenna which does FM & GPS and has a stubby antenna. You'll need to run the GPS cable (which you'll also need to buy) above the headlining to the A-pillar & behind the dash to the back of the Columbus.

The only problem is that the pre-FL aerial uses a RAKU-II connector whereas, I believe, the FL uses FAKRA connectors. If you are lucky you can still get companies in China (via eBay) to make a short (15cm) adapter to convert between the two. When I got one the RAKU connectors were in short supply, so good luck.

A lot of faff, but sort of what I did.

I've got a GPS & GSM shark fin on the roof (no radio reception) and have replicated the Octavia rear side window aerial pattern on both sides linked to a FM module on one side and AM/FM module in the other side taken from a Touran.

Apart from having broken a pin in the double FAKRA connector on the back of the Columbus, it all works fine.

[quote name="KBPhoto" post="3886116" timestamp

I've got a GPS & GSM shark fin on the roof (no radio reception) and have replicated the Octavia rear side window aerial pattern on both sides linked to a FM module on one side and AM/FM module in the other side taken from a Touran.

Apart from having broken a pin in the double FAKRA connector on the back of the Columbus, it all works fine. would like to see that

post-59543-0-03182500-1407599020_thumb.jpgpost-59543-0-83513200-1407599071_thumb.jpg

Not as neat or as thin as I would like, but it works.

The roof antenna is GPS & GSM only. The OS side window is FM (antenna 2) and the NS is AM / FM (antenna 1).

Any questions feel free to ask. I don't know of anyone else who has done this.

Did 'them'?

It's not an off the shelf thing as I couldn't find any stick on FM antenna or any thing remotely useable.

The line is painted on by me using demister repair paint. I did contemplate the orange used in the demister, but couldn't find any.

As the car is silver, I do to think it looks too bad. If I take out the rear sun shades it's even less noticeable.

• 2 weeks later...