Few questions about 1.9 tdi mk2

So yesterday i bought a 54 reg mk2 1.9 tdi

Its got fsh 3 owners 118k on the clock

Got full vrs kit with interior and all is well

1st thing is while im driving some times the car doesn't wont to go into 3rd gear, so il put it back into neutral and then into 3rd and it will slip in /:??

Could this be gearbox fluid needs changing as someone said to me its a closed unit or some bollo*s.

2nd when car is warm and i check oil or take the cap off a little bit of smoke will come out like cigarette smoke, not alot just a little and before you say head gasket theres no milky signs anywhere car is not over heating and is not dropping in coolant level

3rd thing the clutch has a little area were i can just press it and nothing happens, this is in the 1st 1/4 travel of the pedal, is this normal for a diesel?

Apart from them 3 everything else is good starts 1st time and no warning lights or anything

Thanks in advance for any advice

Congrats on getting a 1.9 PD.  Lovely motor.

Usual symptoms of low/worn gearbox oil are notchy or baulky changes into first or when cold, so the problems with third might be a synchro thing, but first off check the condition and adjustment of the gear change linkages.

The gearbox isn't sealed, so the level can be checked and the oil changed.  On the 5 speed box there's no level plug, so you will need to drain and refill.  Do a search on the forum for a 'how to'.  Skoda don't actually recommend changing the gearbox oil, but I would if it's done over 100k, and it just might solve the problem in 3rd.

Don't worry about the clutch.  If it's fully engaged with your foot off, and fully released when you've pressed it to the floor, it's working OK.

Can't comment on the smoke, but I've never seen this on mine in 50k.

The 1.9 PDs won't be hurried, they're dedicated to giving you a smooth relaxed ride.  Don't try to rush the box.  Relaxed smooth gear changes with a teensy hesitation in neutral between each gear are the way to go.

• Like 1

Yes i tent to change slowly, 3rd is usually slip in but sometimes another try always gets it,

I need to get it serviced and front brakes changed anyway so ill get the gearbox fluid changed and update you all soon thanks

Hello

Matilda seems okay on Halfords fully synthetic 5W30.

As said above, she won't be hurried. It is a bit like driving Queen Victoria really.

When I've had to top up the oil (a rare event) and the engine is still quite warm there has been a wisp of smoke but given the heat in there I am not surprised.

Matt

The smoke is normal when removing the oil filler cap with a hot engine.

I too would recommend only oil with VW 507.00 on the container, however as the 1.9 TDi does not have a DPF (diesel particulate filter) you can get away with VW505.01 (fixed service intervals) or VW 506.01 (variable service intervals)...

http://www.opieoils.co.uk/c-742-vw-engine-oil.aspx

I changed the gearbox oil on our 2008 2.0 TDi Octavia (6 speed box), and this made the world of difference!

Any pictures? Sounds like a loved car if someone has gone to the effort of making a vRS out of a standard OCtavia.

Also last but not least, how do i check the linkages as i have no clue

Sorry about all the questions

The stick-to-box gear linkages are worked by Bowden cable and cranks.  Cable can stretch over times and may drop out of adjustment. 

Never adjusted them myself, but suggest you get hold of the Haynes manual (no. 5549) and go from there.  Looks a bit fiddly, but only rates '2 spanners' out of a possible 5 for difficulty.

Ill get some pictures up tommorow, im guessing soneone smashed there actuall vrs because this completely just vrs'd out, interior also, loving the car but i really would like the gears to all be smooth:(

All i need to do is get a cd changer service it which i should hopefully do tommorow, and hopefully change gearbox oil and maybe get linkages adjusted

Edited by DanialA11

+1 on changing the gearbox oil. It is a good idea every couple of years anyway.

A small amount of vapour from the filler is not uncommon, not lots though.

The gear linkage on mine was very stiff when I first got it. A furtle round the cables at the gearbox end and a bit of lube worked wonders.

Don't be tempted to use non spec oil.

The cams on the PD are very narrow so the fit injector elements fit in, the resulting high pressures on the cams and followers causes rapid wear with the wrong oil.

A small amount of vapour from the filler is not uncommon, not lots though.

How much i small amount and for how long should it last? Also im

Guessing it will come out of the dipstick also?

The oil i have is halfords 5w30 however says on the bottle vauxhall opel from 2003 onward,

If its no good ill just buy sone proper stuff however i had this fresh bottle in the shed thought id just use it and get rid?

Alsooo, i watched a video how to adjust the gear linkages which i did however had to take the airbox off and one nut was rust to f*ck, however did this and has made a diffremce however does seem to struggle much less now so will be changing gearbox oil and if that still does not cure it then new linkages it is :)

As updates go iv only got hold of a 6000k xenon kit :D

What i need is a under tray, rear interior light as i broke it from the screws trying to change a bulb -.-, service and front brakes, hopefully all this done in weekend as really busy at work,

Will try getting some pictures up from photo bucket when i get a chance

Anything more than say a cigarette (remember them?) and I'd start to show concern. I guess it depends on your personal worryometer. How much is the oil level dropping? Cheap crap oil is more likely to do this. "Proper" oil will be more thermally stable.

Oil is cheap, engines are dear.

VW/Skoda don't just specify a particular grade of oil just so they can rip you off at service time. There are anti wear & anti scuff additives in the specified grades which do a particular job as I outlined. Engines using the correct grade of oil have been documented to go on to prodigious mileages.

Whenever I visited my local indie, he would show me knackered top ends from the latest pd 1.9's he was working on. Cheap, not to spec oil, he reckoned.

Whatever oil you use make sure it has the VW spec on the back... otherwise don't touch it!

As above it is for a reason. The PD oil has special additives to reduce wear on the cam due to the design of the unit injectors. Oil that doesn't meet VW spec is likely to cause premature wear of the cam.

Phil

Is there anyway of uploading puctures my my phone intrnet onto the forum or does it have to be on the computer?

I use the photo bucket app, it allows uploads from your phone.

Then you can paste the img link on here in your posts

Does sound like a nice car, especially with all the Vrs bits

I use the photo bucket app, it allows uploads from your phone.

Then you can paste the img link on here in your posts

Does sound like a nice car, especially with all the Vrs bits

Thanks for that here you go i took these the day i purchased the car so on monday i think,

2E1CC539-BB58-4637-9652-8D3232BEE57C_zps

8C27C240-CEAC-4448-8A56-B357A8289FD1_zps

So far i have put a set of skoda vrs number plate holders on, bought xenon headlight kit however not fitted

The front fogs dont work not sure why atm /:

The number plate come with the car

Any feedback welcome

• Like 1

I've had a HID kit fitted to mine for 3yrs now, you have to have canbus friendly ones or that will happen

It's the same if you plan on fitting any leds

Edited by JohnSTV6