2012 Yeti Urban?

triple7

My wife and i are looking to change our Fabia Vrs SE for a yeti and the Urban model has caught our eye.

I know from doing a search that a few people on here ordered one of these special edition models when they were released in 2012, I just wondered if there are still members on here with one?

I guess I'm also interested in people experiences with the 2.0 110bho Diesel engine, I was a Bit surprised it only had a 5 speed gearbox. I'm not expecting the performance of the fabia but is the 110bhp generally enough ?

I will be posting a full for sale advert at some point for the Fabia Vrs SE so keep an eye out if you are looking for one.

The 110 has plenty enough poke according to those that have one...  some saying it feels very little different in the real world from the 140. 

My wife and i are looking to change our Fabia Vrs SE for a yeti and the Urban model has caught our eye.

I know from doing a search that a few people on here ordered one of these special edition models when they were released in 2012, I just wondered if there are still members on here with one?

I guess I'm also interested in people experiences with the 2.0 110bho Diesel engine, I was a Bit surprised it only had a 5 speed gearbox. I'm not expecting the performance of the fabia but is the 110bhp generally enough ?

I will be posting a full for sale advert at some point for the Fabia Vrs SE so keep an eye out if you are looking for one.

I have a 2012 Yeti Urban TDi.

The performance is adequate, although noticeably slower than the 140 BHP I last drove. My fuelly link below covers just under 40K miles of motoring and reveals an average around 46 mpg.

I run winter tyres on 16" rims during the winter, so don't miss the added complexity of 4WD.

I fitted the spare wheel kit and found this reduces the boot space considerably. The is however more than made up for by a roof box.

I've have it serviced every 10K, rather than going by the computer on variable servicing. This made sense as the car was supplied new with x3 "free" services.

The seats in the Urban are better than those is ANY Yeti I've tried thus far (S, SE, Elegance & L&K). They are termed as sport seats and feature lumbar support as standard.

I especially value the added extras - Amundsen+ Sat-Nav, DAB radio, multi-function steering wheel, Bluetooth and the ability to play music via an SD card. I run it with a 64Gb SDXC card, formatted as FAT32. 

There have been no major mechanical failings, although I've suffered with extensive paint blistering, requiring the lower areas of both front doors to be repainted under warranty.

The 5 speed gear box has approximately the same gearing in 5th, as the 6 speeder in 6th. From memory the car pulls around 2K revs at 70 mph. The 5 speed gearbox has wider spread ratios, compared with the 6 speed gearbox, so requires less changes in day-to-day use. In my experience the 6 speeder is however a little slicker in operation.

Mine is white, which I personally think is by far the best option for both the Yeti, and specifically an Urban, featuring silver roofbars and Matterhorn alloys.

I've read various threads on here stating the front brakes on the 110 TDi are under specified, but in my personal experience have always found them to be reassuringly positive and adequately powerful.

Remapping is an option, although requires the ECU to be physically opened. I understand tuning boxes may offer a more discreet route to a power boost.

I did look at trading mine in recently and was offered anything between 10K - 12K, dependent upon the car is question, although I've noticed a definite softening of used Yeti pricing recently (a local garage has a 2013 13 plate 140 TDi Elegance with ~12K miles on the clock for £14999). This compares with my first Yeti returning virtually it's list price when it was traded in at 1 years / 10K miles. The car is falling behind much of the competition now in terms of CO2 emissions, specs etc, so I imagine this is only to be expected.

I've just replaced both front tyres at 37K miles, although run winters November - March.

My first Yeti was a 1.2 TSi SE, although I didn't rate this engine in the Yeti. It returned poor fuel economy and suffered a noisy timing chain.

Please let me know if you need to know anything else regarding the TDi Urban.

Pink panther - thank you very much for that. I appreciate the information.

Just a few questions come to mind:

I didn't notice an SD slot on the Amundsen but I assume it's on the main head unit? I have probably just missed it!!

The spare wheel - the car I've looked at today does not have one. I gather it was an option when the car was ordered that wasn't taken.

I'd be happier having one in the car. Assume you could order a space saver from Skoda (at a price!)?

Is it housed under the boot carpet? is there a well for it to sit in? How does that take up further boot space - does it protrude into the boot?

The spare wheel is available as an aftermarket kit, with foam inserts, tool kit, jack etc and a new boot carpet. They are available from dealers, and usually appear on EBay cheaper. This link gives you an idea of how much space it takes up, (although you do gain storage space under the floor), and useful part No's if required.

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/156798-spare-wheel-assembly/

My dad went from a 140bhp (PD) 6 speed Audi A3 to a FL Yeti elegance with the 5 speed 110 CR engine. He hasn't found the lack of 6th an issue. Also the power delivery of the CR is different to the PD engine. He isn't exactly lead footed though.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Has he ever been over 40 mph.?i guess there must be a noticeable difference between the two engines and gear ratios.?

Is there a significant difference in the final ratio? He's on course for 10k plus a year and does a fair it of motorway cruising and he is happy with the performance.

Certainly on some previous VAG cars the final drive is the same ratio and the 6 speed just has an extra gear below this.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Pink panther - thank you very much for that. I appreciate the information.

Just a few questions come to mind:

I didn't notice an SD slot on the Amundsen but I assume it's on the main head unit? I have probably just missed it!!

The spare wheel - the car I've looked at today does not have one. I gather it was an option when the car was ordered that wasn't taken.

I'd be happier having one in the car. Assume you could order a space saver from Skoda (at a price!)?

Is it housed under the boot carpet? is there a well for it to sit in? How does that take up further boot space - does it protrude into the boot?

The Urban has the Amunsden+ - integrated Bluetooth and DAB (excellent for Test Match Special / Radio 4 extra in stereo). The SD card slot is adjacent to the Radio / Media buttons - as below:

amundsen_zps6e9f5328.png

In my opinion it is an excellent unit and integrates well with the rest of the car (Maxidot, parking sensors etc).

I purchased the spare wheel kit from Rainworth's. It is considerably more costly than if specified new, but came into it's own when I had a nail through the sidewall on the west coast of Scotland. The kit includes a replacement boot floor, carpet, foam inserts and jack / toolkit. I seem to recall the whole thing was between £200 - 300.

• Like 2

Has he ever been over 40 mph.?i guess there must be a noticeable difference between the two engines and gear ratios.?

The 110 BHP in fifth is pulling similar revs to a 140 / 170 BHP in 6th - very similar gearing in top gear, just closer ratios in the 6 speed box.

• Like 1

Picked the Yeti up today! Absolutely loving it so far. Early days yet so will see how it goes. Plenty of questions to come I'm sure.

I've already ordered some door sill protectors and a boot liner.

Quick pic I got this morning

E6001E9B-2F6D-44BB-BE43-B497615045F3.jpg

Starting to look like the local skoda dealer out my back.. :-)

E1F1E80A-4B7F-4EC4-B093-F27A9C6D9D24_2.j

As the previous owner of a 110bhp 2wd Yeti and a current owner of a 1.9turbo diesel Fabia estate, I can confirm that the fabia with this engine(100bhp) is considerably more nippy than the yeti. It accelerate much faster, but the Yeti seemed to hold the road better, maybe because the fabia has done over 70k miles and is a bit tired and sloppy on the road. My new Yeti Greenline is even slower compared to the Fabia which my wife uses, but I still prefer driving the Yeti, much more composed and comfortable overall. 

The genuine skoda yeti exhaust tips - just how difficult is it to DIY cut the exhaust tailpipes to fit these?

Would a decent hacksaw do it or Am I better off taking the car to a local exhaust place and giving them a few quid to trim the ends?

The genuine skoda yeti exhaust tips - just how difficult is it to DIY cut the exhaust tailpipes to fit these?

Would a decent hacksaw do it or Am I better off taking the car to a local exhaust place and giving them a few quid to trim the ends?

Yes it can be done with a decent quality blade that will cut stainless steel. Someone had a good tip on the forum that I adopted. Put the blade upside down in the hacksaw and wrap tape on the blade and hacksaw frame ends to prevent bumper scuffs, much easier to cut downwards than upwards. It is hard work but it can be done.

Edited by jeep
  • Like 1

Exhaust tips arrived today. I'd decided that if they looked a bit 'cheap and tacky' then I wouldn't bother putting them on but I was genuinely suprised at the quality solid feel of them.

So a quick before and after:

AA5B18DF-0D07-41F4-8DFE-86E90B5EDB36_1.p

505B44FF-EE18-444C-BD53-40C39CC7EE63_1.p

As you can see I have them ever so slightly staggered.

I'm not 100% sure if they should be like this or flush with each other???

I think it suits the rear of the car. The superskoda pics on the Internet show them like this.

I'd be interested in people's opinions.

I followed this up with fitting the sill protectors :

AD0D5929-C2D8-45B9-9184-41EEA9230CAC.jpg

And the yeti got it's first bath today :-)

• 2 weeks later...