2012 Yeti Urban?

triple7

The exhaust tip trims look really good, and the sill kick plate protectors look great too. 

The exhaust tips will actually polish up quite nicely with a bit of autosol and elbow grease for anyone who'd rather not take a hacksaw to their exhaust!

The exhaust tip trims look really good, and the sill kick plate protectors look great too. 

The exhaust tips will actually polish up quite nicely with a bit of autosol and elbow grease for anyone who'd rather not take a hacksaw to their exhaust!

Very true but I much prefer the whole look and the wider circumference of the trims

Got my Urban in August 2012, it's been a brilliant car but has had minor cosmetic problems.  The roofs strips cracked or have been reported as peeling off, I had mine removed and the roof repsrayed.  Also, there have been one or two reports of lacquer failure on the Matterhorns.  This I have been advised is replaceable under warranty.

Here's my Yeti, taken on Tuesday after I applied a coating - Artdeshine Keegan followed by Nano Gloss Paint Sealant V2 (NGPS V2).

20140903_133549.jpg

20140903_133600.jpg

20140903_133608.jpg

20140903_133522.jpg

20140903_133504.jpg

20140903_133449.jpg

• Like 3

It looks like I have a little patch of laquer failure on one of the rear wheels .....is it worth taking it in to Skoda and getting them to take a look?

Yes, absolutely.  Provided there are no signs of kerbing on the wheel you'll probably get a new one.

• Like 1

I think in general term this type of finish is more prone to failure in the shorter term

than an ordinary paint finish with a clear laquer top coat (if that's the way the alternative is done).

Nature of the beast ?? and I assume if you damage the area it fails quicker or is more

noticed than the painted alternative finish.

Edited by kibby

It's worth taking them in and getting them done under warranty, they replace the badges for the same thing.

I did buy some CarPro DLUX to do the trim with but haven't got round to applying yet so have just used the Artdeshine NGPS V2, it's a very versatile product.  I also have it on the rear and side windows.

• Like 2

Be aware that a few people have reported problems with the plastic strips along the roof coming away.

Well, has the car a month now ... Been keeping an eye on the roof strips as I've been made aware of the strips cracking and I've read a few posts on the subject.

Until now they've been fine ... And today I noticed this :-/

0CC0D4C6-8DA5-4E18-98DB-E85187EC4F04.jpg

Off to the dealers I guess.

Replace / remove? I Would like to know what others have done and how it's worked out for them ...

Triple7 go on the "other" Yeti Forum and look for the Urban Trim thread (pages long), this is a well documented piece on Codheads problems with the roof trim. As he says it is simply not worth your while having them replaced.

Tony

Ok .. Dealer is going to look into the roof strip problem and get back to me. Looks like its a new one to them - I was hoping they'd come across it before.

I've explained my concerns after reading the threads (particularly codheads) on here but I'll let them come back to me to see what they say before I make any decisions.

They will replace the Matterhorn .. Good result!

Thanks for everybody's input

That's a good result on the wheels and they have no choice but to fix the roof trim as it's to well documented now.  I would get your wheels sealed when they are replaced, I used G3 Ceramic coating on mine and haven't had any lacquer problems.  May I suggest you look up CarPro DLUX or Gtechniq C5 to coat your wheels with.

Edited by CodHead
  • Like 1

Thanks codhead .. Been umming and ahhhing over getting the C4 for the black trim so the C5 on the wheels would be a very good idea.

Just waiting to see what they come back with on the roof strips issue. Not feeling overly confident with how this might pan out but I'll wait and see what they come back with

They will have to replace them or take them off, it's a known problem now.  If the dealership give you the run around just ring Skoda UK direct and they will put a rocket up their arses, I did that after they failed to replace mine and I ended up with £150 cheque and a £100 credit note as compensation.  Also, stipulate that they don't wash or polish the car.  The "Skoda" approved bodyshop that resprayed my roof thought they would mop the car for me and made a right mess.

• Like 1

Thanks Codhead ... Already had plans to ask them not to wash it ... Think I'll leave a big notice in the car too!

Only 1 strip has cracked at the moment. The lad I spoke with didn't know if they'd come as a set of 4 or just single. I pointed out that if he changes one the other 3 could just as easily be next.

I also mentioned the chew others have had in removing them so they need to make sure the jobs done right.

I'm hoping they can replace all 4 in such a way that the new ones won't crack (different bonding agent or something? I don't know tbh !) . failing that I think complete removal will be on the cards.

Should be interesting to hear what they propose.

• 2 weeks later...

Just a little update. Received a call from the dealer today to book the car in to get the roof strip changed. Unfortunately I couldnt speak to the lad I'd been dealing with so I have some questions still to ask. Will all roof strips be changed? Are they confident they won't crack again? Are they confident they can get the strips off??

The girl has said they'd need the car for a day.

From what codhead and others have said I'm not sure a day is really going to be long enough.

They've not done this job before and tbh that concerns me given other people's experiences.

So the car is booked in for a fortnights time. I'll try to speak to them beforehand to find out their intentions.

In other news it looks like both rear matterhorns will be replaced :-)

Warning sign straight away there, one day will not be enough for them to properly bond, it's supposed to be a minimun of 48 hours.  I'd also ask them if they intend to get a bodyshop to respray the roof as I will guarentee you they won't get them off without damaging the paintwork.  The bonding agent used to originally fix them is rock hard and is thought to be the reason why the trim is cracking as it's not flexing enough with the body shell.  Make sure you make them aware of all the (known) problems I and the others have had before letting them touch the car as I hate to see you go through all the hassle I had, I'd even go as far as insiting the get a bodyshop to do the work.

Neil

• Like 2

Thanks Neil .... I am worried for the reasons you say.

I think I will pop in and see them through the week and voice my concerns. If you don't mind I'll mention the points you have mentioned and tell them about your experience.

• Like 1

This is definitely a common problem with the Urban. All of mine cracked and I had them removed and replaced. 2nd time around all seems well but as CodHead says, there are some horror stories out there about the removal process. My dealer had my car for a week. The whole sorry saga of the Urban roof stripes can be read here...

It seems that I've picked up all the Urban issues mentioned in this post as I too have lacquer / whiteworm issues with the Matterhorns and blow me down if I didn't notice a paint blister on the very bottom of the passenger door!

Stephen

Hi, this is the paint blister...

paint_blister.JPG

And these are my wheels with the laquer issue...

wheel_1.png

wheel_2.png

wheel_3.png

It's gone into dealers today for the paint, wheels and faulty air con unit to be fixed. And I've got a Black Edition Roomster for the week for my trouble!

• Like 1