Cam Belt Life Skoda UK answers

Rensyeti

I have had a query re life cycle of the cam belt so asked SUK here`s the answer

Reference Number SD-2014/08-002179

Dear Mr Renshaw
I refer to our telephone conversation on 04 August 2014 regarding your ŠKODA Yeti.
I can confirm that our Technical Department has confirmed that the recommendation for changing your cam belt is at 140,000 miles
or 4 years, which ever comes the soonest.
As I explained during our telephone conversation, the recommendation is based on the date of registration. Your vehicle which
was registered May 2010, then the 4 year rule comes into place. Had your vehicle been built after September 2010, the
recommendation would have changed to 5 years.
I hope this information is of use to you. Thank you once again for contacting ŠKODA UK Customer Services.

Kind regards

John Good, Customer Relations Manager
ŠKODA UK | Selectapost 34 | Sheffield | S97 3FA
Tel: +44 (0) 333 0037504 | fax: +44 (0)844 8267855
[email protected] | www.skoda.co.uk | www.skoda-auto.com

It's probably not Graham but still, 140k IS a lot of leg on a belt.

If it were mine, I'd rather not run it up to that without having it done.

Isn't the general rule of thumb belt AND pump? Really don't know, but surely as it's all hanging out it's peace of mind.

• Like 1

It is interesting that private individuals that have maybe not even covered 40,000 miles in 4 years are doing the replacement,

&

fleet and lease vehicles that might be doing 45,000 miles a year have the same Cam Belt fitted when they go to auction at 3 year old.

george

Interesting; according to the on-line parts book there are two cam belt part numbers for the CFH* engine series;

03L109119C - up to 04/10/10

and

03L109119J - no dates given

Found the latter on ebay from a dealer;

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GENUINE-AUDI-COMMON-RAIL-CR-DIESEL-TIMING-CAM-BELT-CAMBELT-03L109119J-/380704022889

Don't quite match September 2010 for a change in spec :wonder:

Tension pulley also changed part number later in October that year and a month later the idler pulley got a new number.

TP

If I recall correctly from looking at the service book for the common rail 2.0 oil burners there is a mileage limit but it is not time bound (it was on the VAG PD motor that was). No idea really if it is and just not stated when other time bound items are. It was the same on my last Seat Ibiza 1.6 diesel, a mileage limit but again not time bound. Probably worth doing though after 4-5 years for piece of mind

As for the water pump (not stated at all in the service book if I remember correctly) this was advised back in the VAG PD diesel days. Maybe the water pumps have a shorter life than some and it makes sense to change when it's easy to get to when the belt is off. My old common rail Mondeo 130 went 100K and 10 years without a replacement water pump (or anything else engine mechanical wise for that matter) but that did have a cam chain not a belt so maybe there is extra tension on the belt may add wear to the water pump bearings..... I'll have to look at my service book again when it has a first service in a few weeks.

It is interesting that private individuals that have maybe not even covered 40,000 miles in 4 years are doing the replacement,

&

fleet and lease vehicles that might be doing 45,000 miles a year have the same Cam Belt fitted when they go to auction at 3 year old.

george

I agree. Nevertheless the biggest wear factor on a cambelt is the number of cold starts. Hence the apparent disparity between 140k miles and 4 years.

• Like 1

I agree. Nevertheless the biggest wear factor on a cambelt is the number of cold starts. Hence the apparent disparity between 140k miles and 4 years.

Also ex fleet/lease cars are serviced to suit bean counters who have no interest in the future life of a vehicle at the end of three years their beans all counted they are only concerned about what they have had to spend until that point. 

• Like 1

We will need to see how many Yeti form 2009/10 are still actually on the road come 2020,  and getting ready for their 3rd cam belt change.

george

I Bet most people wont do that mileage in 10 years 

Well I'm more than half way there in 4!!

We will need to see how many Yeti form 2009/10 are still actually on the road come 2020,  and getting ready for their 3rd cam belt change.

george

Well at least they won't have rusted into oblivion like a Suzuki!

Calm yourself Dude, it is not a challenge to your manhood. 

(my 2003 Suzuki is original & totally rust free by the way with 45,000 miles on it.)

Edited by goneoffSKi
  • Like 3

Our Dealer couldn't give a definative answer to when belt needs changing other than "don't worry it's not needed at 4 years".

Don't Skoda Dealers just fill you with confidence they know their product...I don't think!!!

Maybe getting rid of it soon so maybe will leave it as is. I bet if the belt did go they would deny

all knowledge of previous advice.

Really not impressed with 'can't be bothered' attitude of our current Dealer and will vote with feet

come change time. In past we have had to do all the prompting.

By the way what are the consequences if it does go (cam belt, not chain cam)??

I'm assuming it's not critical..A/C,Alternator etc!!! UNLESS YOU KNOW DIFFERENT.

Edited by kibby

Our Dealer couldn't give a definative answer to when belt needs changing other than "don't worry it's not needed at 4 years".

Don't Skoda Dealers just fill you with confidence they know their product...I don't think!!!

Maybe getting rid of it soon so maybe will leave it as is. I bet if the belt did go they would deny

all knowledge of previous advice.

Really not impressed with 'can't be bothered' attitude of our current Dealer and will vote with feet

come change time. In past we have had to do all the prompting.

By the way what are the consequences if it does go (cam belt, not chain cam)??

I'm assuming it's not critical..A/C,Alternator etc!!! UNLESS YOU KNOW DIFFERENT.

:think: You have the 1.2 which has a chain not belt,  Broken belt = broken engine ££££££££££££ 

Obviously he hasn't heard of it !! Or Service reception hasn't a clue. Will recheck at next service.

You are talking about the fan belt, that drives the air con, alternator and power steering pump, and they get changed when they are worn, usually has a indicator on the tensioner pulley and if they break it more of a inconvenience than a costly exercise.      

If I recall correctly from looking at the service book for the common rail 2.0 oil burners there is a mileage limit but it is not time bound (it was on the VAG PD motor that was). ...

My PD cambelt is changed every 4 years. Though not especially relevant to the different CR engine in the Yeti ... ;)

george

Also depends if your talking about Yeti's built pre or post WK45/09. In the case of the TDI CR 140, first generation VAG CR CBDB before that date and after second generation CR CFHC.

Each has a different service regime when it comes to the cam belt; more frequently I believe for the earlier engine.

Also the earlier engine has a chain driven oil pump the latter belt.

TP

When my Yeti had its 4th yearly service and 2nd MOT in July this subject was discussed with the servicing dealer, Hughes Skoda at Farnham. My car has low miles, less than 30,000. It was agreed that the cam belt would be inspected during the service, and if it looked OK, renewal would be left for another year. The dealer cost of replacing, which takes about four hours is around £400.00

Edited by jeep

4 years cam belt replacement con... still going on after 15+ years.  Go and phone dealer in every country outside UK, I dare you to find one that tells you to replace cambelt after time limit and not mileage limit. Timing belt needs to be inspected from about halfway mileage mark and then replaced if it shows signs of wear or if it reached mileage limit. If you add to this the quality of workmanship at quite a few dealership workshops, you are far more likely to damage the engine by replacing the belt at 4 years than by driving it till belt mileage limit expires. Been there, done that.

Quite why VAG allows this con to persist in the UK is not clear, there must be some EU car law against it that the UK has opted out of...

The new Conti belt will last 140k miles without problems, both the belt and the camshaft gears have been redesigned to account for stresses on the belt, plus with CR the load on the belt is much more consistent than it was with PD injectors or injection pump.

• Like 2

It is like the Service Con,  when a Minor Service is a Oil & Filter, Fluid Checks and look see, 

& a Major Service (Inspection Service) is a Oil & Filters (Filters) and a look see.  

& the Wheels might never be off the car for more than 3 years.

People with rear drums might still never get the Wheels and drums off at Major Services.

It is a Lost in Translation thing the Service & Maintenance, it is just get the Vehicles in and do some normal Oil Services and look see,

Maybe Plug it in, maybe not, and maybe get some extra 'Up Selling' on Important things,  

Brake Fluid that should be Checked for Moisture, Brakes and Suspension & Belts etc are all about Location, Useage, and circumstances of use.

It is a pity by now that Volkswagen Group Engines, Gearboxes and components that should have evolved over the Decades to the point of almost 100% reliability 

are still subject to common failures and components with less than the available longevity.

They have customers interested in Trinkets & Flash, and less importance is on Mechanical Reliability and Safe Service & Maintenance,

It is all about keeping Workshops in Work with Annual 'Look See Servicing.'

george