Cam Belt Life Skoda UK answers

Rensyeti

You only need to read any cambelt related thread here on Briskoda to see that the mileages are known to vary even on two different cars that are of the same model/engine/year.

I have read ALL the cambelt related threads on this forum and have seen the variance in recommended mileages but for me it's only time that is the issue and the message throughout the threads is simply that's it's not clear.  The vast majority of the threads on here (and other forums) say four years but the current information appears to be five.  Five clearly suits me better but I just want to make sure.

Frankly, you will make your own decision, but my experience with dealership belt replacement ended up in a repeat of the job a year later, and a head gasket replacement on top, all for my money, an I am not alone in this or similar experience.  The only snapped belts (or belts that jumped timing) I personally heard about on cars with known prior history (as opposed to having been bought used 6 months earlier) were after workshop belt jobs. So I'd rather keep the belt for as long as possible (and inspect it), then DIY replacement.

There's a lot of truth in that! 

For me any mileage limit is not an issue as my car is very low mileage and I'm trying to fully and correctly understand if the recommendation if 4 or 5 years.  While I have an extended warranty I need to keep up with recommended servicing and maintenance to avoid disputes with any future claims.  Once the warranty expires (when the car is five) then I will be able to take a pragmatic view on the cambelt change.  However, if the belt is due at four years then I will have to get it done regardless.

Cheers

Rog

I have read ALL the cambelt related threads on this forum and have seen the variance in recommended mileages but for me it's only time that is the issue and the message throughout the threads is simply that's it's not clear.  The vast majority of the threads on here (and other forums) say four years but the current information appears to be five.  Five clearly suits me better but I just want to make sure.

The 4 years has always been clear, the unclear part is peoples willingness to adhere to it when the rest of Europe isn't as short.

The change from 4 years to 5 years was very recent, only a few months ago.

I have the same issue with my wifes fabia. I had the first belt changed at 6 years old and 50k miles, ignoring the 4 yr recommendation at the time.

The car is now 11 years old and has reached 71k. As the car is worth less than £1.5K, (a 1.9td estate), it is a major expense on a car of that value. Yet on the fabia forum everyone says change at 4 years old for peace of mind, I am already past that!

I am sure the service book that came with the car said 80k miles to first chang, with no time limit at all. The car is driven gently and does less than 5k/yr, so how long can I take the risk?

I had intended to change it next year and run the car until it is scrapped/sold at about 18yrs old when I retire and we can share one new car.

I can see both sides of the argument. A belt change, done properly gives you peace of mind, but surely the belts are really designed to last much longer than this anyway. Are we changing them when there is a 1% risk of failure in the next 10k miles or is it worse than that. I would put it off if it was as large as a 10% risk on a car as old and valueless as our fabia!

Edited by kenfowler3966

The issue with your predicament is that all is good the longer you ignore the advice of the manufacturer, right up until the belt lets go.

Then you think, dammit, for £300 I should have just changed the belt.

With your Fabia getting older now and the value decreasing then I'd be looking at a low cost independant to replace the belt. Get it done at the same time as a service and you should get it even cheaper.

Just had an offer from our local skoda dealer, on any skoda, will change the belt for £220 if done before 8th Sep. Tempted...

Wish my dealer was doing that!  They want £459 to change...

Just had a call from Skoda UK and they have said 4 years.  I told them that the dealer said 5 years and they simply said that the dealer was wrong.  Apparently 2010 was the changeover year for Skoda.  Cars registered before Sept 2010 are 4 years and after Sep 2010 are 5 years. 

So, I'm back to where I started with unclear information and a £500 bill to look forward to...

Cheers

Rog

Edited by rriggs

Why not find out how much an independent would charge? It doesn't have to be done by a main dealer.

Mine will be done at the next service, which is just under 5 years and will be by my local garage.

Why not find out how much an independent would charge? It doesn't have to be done by a main dealer.

Mine will be done at the next service, which is just under 5 years and will be by my local garage.

Independents are all quoting more than Skoda. They vary between £468 and £520 against £459 at the local main dealer.

Cheers

Rog

Wish my dealer was doing that!  They want £459 to change...

Just had a call from Skoda UK and they have said 4 years.  I told them that the dealer said 5 years and they simply said that the dealer was wrong.  Apparently 2010 was the changeover year for Skoda.  Cars registered before Sept 2010 are 4 years and after Sep 2010 are 5 years. 

So, I'm back to where I started with unclear information and a £500 bill to look forward to...

Cheers

Rog

And erm, myself being the owner of a late Sept 2010 registered Octavia, and having recently difinitivly informed by a reputable Skoda dealer it is 5 years, but ud have bin 4 years if the car was registered prior to Sept 2010.

Left me scratching my head in bewilderment.

What changed in such an arbitary fashion?

Clearly NOT based on a build date or chassis No.(due to some change in belt technology)

So why?

cheers

marcus

I do not believe it is a new issue with the VAG group and cambelt change intervals.

In 2004 I bought a new VW Touran. The book/service schedule said 5 yrs. When my 4 yr service was due I was contacted advising me of a change of policy and the need to have belt replaced, with an advisory on water pump whilst everything was exposed. When questioned I seem to recall the change was brought about by early cambelt failure on the Audi TT. I do not know if this excuse was spin of fact.

I ignored the advice and had the belt done at 5rys along with the water pump. I got a price from a well known and family run local independent, who VW then price matched.

Colin

Not for the modern carbon fibre belts.

I've also been advised to get the water pump changed at the same time.

If all the bearings continue to run true I guess that would be ok.....if not would it be guaranteed to be picked up in time and done earlier?

If something can go wrong......

I don't believe the change from 4 years to 5 years has anything to do with a change in the belt itself.

The marketing team at Skoda UK have decided to extend the interval to 5 years and needed a start date for the move from 4 to 5 years for their communication to their customers.

September 2010 was plucked out of the air and this is where we are...

The only possible reason I can think of for using the registered rather than build date would be if they recognised that it is far more difficult for owners to determine their cars build date compared to checking the V5 for the registered date. So knowing when an 'improved' belt was implemented at their factories and baking in shipping times and the potential for a car to be sat at the docks or in a dealer compound somewhere for a further 6 months meant that they were able to provide a 'registed' date that would ensure all cars registered after this date would have an improved longer life belt? 

Nah, who am I kidding. The belt's haven't changed. We all know Skoda UK better than they do!

Got the Yeti booked in for a cambelt next week now at local Skoda dealer. They were cheapest in the end (at a whopping £459) and the overall consensus was four years so I've gone with that. I understand all the counter arguments but eventually decided for ultimate peace of mind - helped by half the bill being paid by the non-Skoda dealer who I bought the Yeti from and the other half on 0% Barclaycard so as long as paid off by Yeti's fifth birthday next year I'll actually be no worse off than if I'd waited.

The dealer the capr is booked in with also agreed with the pre-Sept 2010 four year recommendation.

Cheers

Rog

Does that include the water pump for £100?

Skoda's fixed pricing policy has the cambelt and waterpump for £459...

http://www.skoda.co.uk/owners/service-and-maintenance/national-pricing/maintenance

It does include the waterpump. He gave me the option of not doing the waterpump for £100 less. I did try hard to get some money off but fixed prices really does seem to mean just that. Then they are cheaper than any of the local independents...

Cheers

Rog

• Like 1

Could the September cut off be due to the phasing out of the 8v/PD engines by then? I know that would apply to Octy II as I have a PD Scout. Was informed if I had waited a few weeks I would have had a CR. Not sure when it would have been delivered. My Scout was ordered March, delivered in June 2010.

Fin

• 1 month later...

I've just checked with Skoda UK myself to double check that my CR140 was 5 years (Built 20/10/10 Registered 23/11/10) I spoke to John Good at Skoda UK, Who actually dealt with the OP's query too.... He confirmed that with my build date that it is 5 years or 140,000 miles and that some dealers may still say 4 years but to inform them i have spoken with Skoda UK who have confirmed via VIN check that it is 5 years.

He did say the "official" reason Skoda have given for the change was a change in belt design / reliability.

Looks like the Skoda UK customer centre is based in the area (Ventura in Wath-upon-Dearne) so any issues and i think i'd go and see them in person :)

**edit**

Actually just had an e-mail right now from the dealership i bought the car from saying my cambelt is due!!!!! Oh how wrong they are. :)

• Like 1

So the inability of Skoda UK to effectively inform their franchised dealer network of a significant service interval change strikes again.

It's not like either of them have anything to gain by charging £359 unnecessarily is there?

Skoda UK - try harder, it can't be that difficult to ensure your dealers toe the line!

• Like 1