Alex's red Mk1 Fabia vRS BMN/BLT 16v hybrid - GTBvklr

alex_e3

Mega thanks to Adam (Southy on here), who did the machining work to my block. He's done a cracking job of it! The crank has been polished as well. Picked it up yesterday afternoon...

36939042446_1cb6bfe6ac_z.jpg

36314714143_cacb07f8ca_z.jpg

36314714733_139fcf445d_z.jpg

Adam also kindly ordered my new pistons, main and big end shells...

36314715613_b9b6a0e348_z.jpg

Since my engine was BMN and had the PPD piezo injectors, I've bought some BKD PD injectors too. Also picked up some new seals...

36314718013_b8098752d8_z.jpg

36314716163_72a2d3004d_z.jpg

I will be getting the car up and running on standard nozzles first. What with this being somewhat bespoke for John (Faboka) to map properly. After that, I'll get some Firad 120's on there to fuel more power :)

I also bought a second hand cam cover off a BKD, as the BMN one is very tall and has the CCV pointing upwards. I'll be getting this carbon dipped at some point...

36314717013_f9155b67b1_z.jpg

I've also ordered the ARP stud & nut kit from Darkside, along with a bottom end rebuild kit. So pretty soon I'll have everything I need for the bottom end to get built up. I have a second hand BKD metal inlet manifold on the way too. As the BMN has swirl flaps in and is plastic.

Next job is for me to get the the wire drill attachment over the faces of the block, to get as much paint and rust off as I can. I've ordered some Bilt Hamber Deox C, and will be soaking the ends of the block and water & oil channels, so that it's all cleaned out nicely. After that, it's off to Camcoat with the block, new pistons and both manifolds! :)

Edited by alex_e3
  • Like 3

The block looks like it's just been painted!

It looks immaculate really.

Great update though, been waiting for this to come together :)

It was painted pretty much a year ago! Should be documented in this thread some pages back.

It's the front that's the problem. Rust has come through the paint on it. Hence I want to ensure it's well treated this time.

• 1 month later...

Got on with it today. Soaked the block at several different angles to get everywhere. After that, took it out, hosed it down, then dried it off meticulously to prevent surface rust forming in any crevice or thread. Then a good dose of penetrating oil to lower the risk of surface rust appearing.

The block has come out nicely. The worst face still has some corrosion, but it's looking a LOT better than it was. I could have left it soak for longer, but a friend found out the hard way that Deox-C is strong stuff, and subsequently ruined his block by leaving it in for too long! Hence I'm happy with the results. Cam Coat assure me that rust won't be a problem once they have worked their magic! :)

Not very interesting pictures, but all cleaned off, dried and oiled ready to go...

36986029561_06854301cf_z.jpg

36939037816_f93d451a07_z.jpg

36291929674_1f96ac23da_z.jpg

Also cracked on with cleaning the inlet manifold up. Got a huge load of crap out of it, since it had been softened overnight. A does of foam oven cleaner came next, and another good rinse out. I've now left it to soak again filled with another bottle of oven cleaner solution. I still think it'll need another couple yet, such was the horrid gunk on the inside.

Glad I've got that job out of the way. Pretty messy couple of afternoons down the unit. Once the inlet is clean, it's all ready for ceramic coating :)

Edited by alex_e3
  • Like 2

Looking good mate, be nice to see the finished results!

I jet washed out my BKD plastic inlet manifold a few weeks ago and don't imagine it has every been off the car before in its 7 years of life. The plastic inlet manifolds seem a lot less prone to as much carbon build up as the aluminium ones.

Edited by AshVrs
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Small update. Just got back from Camcoat in Warrington. They've done a stirling job of all the bits! I'll let the pictures do the talking...

36939034816_62f3ea196c_z.jpg

36986020361_8d180ced99_z.jpg

36939033716_224f481622_z.jpg

36939033306_10c86172cb_z.jpg

36730674200_4f4bc05f87_z.jpg

36939032016_83bfd9b829_z.jpg

36986014151_d6b05ca7e3_z.jpg

37127966795_84b97f3f26_z.jpg

36939031216_c77e44623c_z.jpg

36939030876_00361b3694_z.jpg

36291827854_539c4545dd_z.jpg

36957003542_d9f734da6e_z.jpg

The pictures don't do the parts justice to be honest! The block looks a million times better, especially on the front face. Plus the coating will actually help to draw heat away from the block. All I need now is to buy some new thrust washers and a new sump, then I will be building the bottom end up :)

Edited by alex_e3
  • Like 3

Beautiful, don't wait to long, I want to see this running before Christmas :p

Kev has a point! It's nearly a year since the engine let go. Time goes quick...  If I got it done before Easter next year, I think that would be an achievement. There's lot of work to be done yet. Considering a spray job too...

Holy c**p! This is awesome! I usually get annoyed when I see the way fabias are going on the Facebook pages but this (and lofy's thread) gives me hope :)

Keep up the good work

Cheers! Agree with you - I've had many a moment where I've thought about selling up due to the recent image problem of Fabia vRS's  :wonder:  :think:

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Not much been happening lately. Mainly due to the fact that I'm a wuss and really can't be arsed doing anything in the freezing down my unit. Started doing a few things again now the weather is slowly starting to improve. Unfortunately, I've got a load of jobs to do on my other cars - Focus and 2nd vRS. So having to prioritise them at the moment. Doing my head in having most things ready to build up!

I have managed to get something sorted recently though. Took my TT Comps to City Powdercoaters again. Opted for dark grey this time. As nice as the gloss black looks, it's an absolute 'mare to keep them looking mint - small scratches always appear no matter how hard you try not to! Got the wheels back yesterday. Very impressed with the finish on them, especially for £20 a wheel...

36730754960_f909f02ff6_z.jpg

I've also just bought some Nankang NS-2R semi-slick tyres. Never tried any before, and these seem to have good reviews. Will be getting these fitted on Friday. All ready to go!...

36291929214_26f219f6a7_z.jpg

I love the red lip on them, so I've bought a set of 'Rim Blades' in red, which will be fitted after the tyres.

On another note, I'm ditching the Brembo's, in exchange for some Tarox 6 pots B)

Cylinder head has also gone off to get a light truth skim and rebuilt. I'm keeping the head and cams stock for now. Will get it up and running and see what it makes first. Then consider head work and cams if required.

Edited by alex_e3
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, Lofty said:

Wheels look loads better in grey, it makes them look less heavy. Will the tarox calipers clear the spokes?

Yeah I'm well impressed with them - they look ace!

Yes mate they should clear no problem. The Comps have excellent clearance as standard. Clear my Brembo's fine, and I believe they're worse than the Tarox.

Very nice up dates. The taroxs should clear fine. Compared to the brembo there's quite slim, do you know which model you've gone for? 

If only I wasn't planning for a wedding I'd have had the brembos off you for my car if you were selling them. 

I've also been running the NS-2R's for about a year now, there not bad wet but do need a bit of heat in them to really feel the grip benefits, some I found quite hard to do on the road. 

And in regards to the wheel blades if it's the type I'm thinking of that hammer in between the wheel and tyre then make sure it correctly installed. A girl at work had them for a few months then one detached itself and destroyed the door and wing.

Edited by stevobeavo
  • Like 2

• 3 months later...