Alex's red Mk1 Fabia vRS BMN/BLT 16v hybrid - GTBvklr

alex_e3

Cheers Kev!

It actually opens slightly higher now, which suits me fine :)

Thats handy :)

As mine with the single lifter is slightly lower than standard, so you end up hitting the back of your head on grille if not careful! :(

Thats handy :)

As mine with the single lifter is slightly lower than standard, so you end up hitting the back of your head on grille if not careful! :(

It'd be worse for me if that was the case.... as you have hair to cushion the blow ;):D

Cheers Furby :)   Be interesting to see pics of your Merc seat install...

• 3 weeks later...

Ok, so time for a fairly big update!

2260 has landed :)

Huge thanks to Kev for helping with the fitting and much banter  :thumbup:  :D

Ok so I've had the car off the road for the last week so that I could take my time with the install. As expected, things got a little tight for time due to a few reasons.

Started off stripping the old exhaust and PD150 hybrid turbo off. Things came apart relatively easily in all fairness, due to the turbo having not long been changed.

Then the rebuild started....

Stripped the original oil feed with use of the vice and mole grips, then fitted one end onto the 2260. I also had to transfer across a few studs from the old exhaust manifold. The turbo was then offered up. Turns out that due to the size of the turbo that the actuator would have fouled the driveshaft once the car was lowered back down. So off it came again and the housing rotated to move its position. It was then bolted up to the correct torque (that comment is for Kev :D ). Kev fiddled with the oil feed for a while - pain in the backside to fit unless your hands are tiny! So the pressure switch was removed in the end to help fit it. I was busy faffing about with the oil return under the car. Turns out that due to the size and position of the turbo, the oil return was kinking. So I had to remove it to modify it.

In the meantime I had to order a 63-51mm reducer pipe for the air inlet to turbo.  I also had to make a bracket to support the turbo from underneath. So in work the next day I popped into our workshop and made a bracket. I also cut down both ends of the oil return pipe and de-burred it.

So tonight I fitted the bracket and new oil return pipe. Kev then rotated the turbo snail around so that the boost piping would line up nicely and not interfere with the driveshaft. He also trimmed the reducer down and popped the inlet manifold and intake pipe on.

The EGR cooler was also removed during this, so had to top the coolant back up. Oil and filter were obviously changed too. I took the opportunity to fit new PD150 head bolts and a new cam cover gasket as well, as I think I was getting a bit of head lift previously.

New 4 bar map sensor was fitted whilst Kev uploaded the base map from John (Faboka) through MPPS.

Everything checked and car started with me worried!! Checked for leaks and everything is fine  :thumbup:  :)    I do want to change the turbo inlet pipe though, as it's currently blue (only colour Demon Tweeks had in stock at short notice). I'll pop a red one on soon enough :D

I am towing the car to BM Wizard near Oswestry tomorrow evening for them to make a custom side-exit exhaust system :)   Then once it's done, Kev and I will be setting the stop screw and adjust the actuator as best as possible with the help of VCDS. I can then start the logging procedure for John to get the map spot on.

Pics....

Turbo install...

36956991292_2eec639e20_z.jpg

36730666230_2e15b59a1c_z.jpg

Very hard to reach oil feed braided pipe...

36291809114_7798300195_z.jpg

Inlet pipe doesn't line up very well due to the size of the new turbo. I may make a custom pipe in the future...

36730665950_55d1cc473a_z.jpg

The bracket I made to support the turbo and the modified oil return pipe...

36291808704_78d8f06d89_z.jpg

Turbo to inlet pipe connection (red pipe coming soon!)...

36956990512_2318d86baa_z.jpg

Everything fitted (shot taken underneath)...

36730665800_18387e2fd9_z.jpg

Not the most exciting pictures, but gives people who may be fitting a Xman GTB2260vk an idea of what is required. It's definitely not a completely straight forward conversion - some modification of parts required...

Can't wait to get it back on the road after the exhaust is done :)

Edited by alex_e3
  • Like 2

Ok, so time for a fairly big update!

2260 has landed :)

Huge thanks to Kev for helping with the fitting and much banter [emoji106] :D

Ok so I've had the car off the road for the last week so that I could take my time with the install. As expected, things got a little tight for time due to a few reasons.

Started off stripping the old exhaust and PD150 hybrid turbo off. Things came apart relatively easily in all fairness, due to the turbo having not long been changed.

Then the rebuild started....

Stripped the original oil feed with use of the vice and mole grips, then fitted one end onto the 2260. I also had to transfer across a few studs from the old exhaust manifold. The turbo was then offered up. Turns out that due to the size of the turbo that the actuator would have fouled the driveshaft once the car was lowered back down. So off it came again and the housing rotated to move its position. It was then bolted up to the correct torque (that comment is for Kev :D ). Kev fiddled with the oil feed for a while - pain in the backside to fit unless your hands are tiny! So the pressure switch was removed in the end to help fit it. I was busy faffing about with the oil return under the car. Turns out that due to the size and position of the turbo, the oil return was kinking. So I had to remove it to modify it.

In the meantime I had to order a 63-51mm reducer pipe for the air inlet to turbo. I also had to make a bracket to support the turbo from underneath. So in work the next day I popped into our workshop and made a bracket. I also cut down both ends of the oil return pipe and de-burred it.

So tonight I fitted the bracket and new oil return pipe. Kev then rotated the turbo snail around so that the boost piping would line up nicely and not interfere with the driveshaft. He also trimmed the reducer down and popped the inlet manifold and intake pipe on.

The EGR cooler was also removed during this, so had to top the coolant back up. Oil and filter were obviously changed too. I took the opportunity to fit new PD150 head bolts and a new cam cover gasket as well, as I think I was getting a bit of head lift previously.

New 4 bar map sensor was fitted whilst Kev uploaded the base map from John (Faboka) through MPPS.

Everything checked and car started with me worried!! Checked for leaks and everything is fine [emoji106] :) I do want to change the turbo inlet pipe though, as it's currently blue (only colour Demon Tweeks had in stock at short notice). I'll pop a red one on soon enough :D

I am towing the car to BM Wizard near Oswestry tomorrow evening for them to make a custom side-exit exhaust system :) Then once it's done, Kev and I will be setting the stop screw and adjust the actuator as best as possible with the help of VCDS. I can then start the logging procedure for John to get the map spot on.

Pics....

Turbo install...

PA200261_zps62a3ba78.jpg

PA200262_zpsf199038e.jpg

Very hard to reach oil feed braided pipe...

PA200263_zpsc806be27.jpg

Inlet pipe doesn't line up very well due to the size of the new turbo. I may make a custom pipe in the future...

PA220264_zps23d13eb2.jpg

The bracket I made to support the turbo and the modified oil return pipe...

PA220265_zps3bf519ae.jpg

Turbo to inlet pipe connection (red pipe coming soon!)...

PA220267_zps085c75d6.jpg

Everything fitted (shot taken underneath)...

PA220266_zps0effbb2b.jpg

Not the most exciting pictures, but gives people who may be fitting a Xman GTB2260vk an idea of what is required. It's definitely not a completely straight forward conversion - some modification of parts required...

Can't wait to get it back on the road after the exhaust is done :)

That's why I haven't passed you in a while. Ha. What are you doing with the pd150 hybrid. If your selling it inbox me

That's why I haven't passed you in a while. Ha. What are you doing with the pd150 hybrid. If your selling it inbox me

Have you still got the private plate on it? I keep seeing 2 black vRS's on the way to work most mornings! Both with tinted windows. Can't remember the plate on yours.

Yeah I'm selling it now mate. I'll PM you in a bit. There's a thread in the for sale about it somewhere - do a search. I want a little bit less than I advertised it for back then though, as it's got a few more miles now.

Nice to see you have finally got this all fitted fella, rather jealous indeed, need to pull my finger out and get mine all sorted. Gonna have to flutter the eye lashes at mother to let me borrow her car whilst I strip the box down

Lol! I thought you looked a bit sheepish at me, couldn't believe I spotted you.

Fair play to you're mum, not something I would enjoy! ;)

Thanks mate, traction was a slight issue haha!!

Still holding up traffic even with a 2260 fitted? :)

Get a grip..............

Oh yeah and Dan messaged me and said your mum is a MILF!!!!!!!!!!!  :x

Well not all of us have a fancy differential Kevin ;)

Pmsl trust Dan ha ha! It's alright, that's a comment I've had to deal with about my Mum since I was in school!! I'm immune to it now!

I wouldn't have said 'sheepish' Dan! I was just concentrating hard coming up to a busy roundabout towing my motor with parent on board lol!

• Like 2

Pmsl trust Dan ha ha! It's alright, that's a comment I've had to deal with about my Mum since I was in school!! I'm immune to it !

So presume you were adopted?

Or look like your Dad?.................

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Figured I best put some pictures up of my new exhaust system. Full turbo-back system from a Longlife dealer - 2.5" from the turbo back, 1 box, and a fake cat put in for MOT purposes. It runs using the original exhaust channel, but pops out just in front of the n/s/r wheel. The handbrake cable has had to be tied out of the way to avoid it melting.

It's quite dirty at the minute due to the weather, but just so everyone gets the idea....

36730665450_8cf721d18d_z.jpg

36291807344_8b52ce8ecc_z.jpg

36956989422_19ab5ca680_z.jpg

36291806294_e37b39b36b_z.jpg

36956988932_eab9f50027_z.jpg

36291805454_a73eca728f_z.jpg

I appreciate it's not to everyone's tastes, but I really like it. It doesn't catch over bumps at all, and the boot no longer gets sooty after a week's driving! The side gets virtually nothing on it also - the pics are after nearly 2 weeks driving without a clean and lots of data logging runs!

Edited by alex_e3

What are you doing with the cutout in the rear bumper. I was behind you earlier tonight going from abermoddu going into town. And pass you most mornings on the way to work

Edited by AaronD95

Just fancied a change alex? I prefer your old piper system ;)

I fancied not having soot on my boot!! This system definitely sounds better than the old Piper too! Plus it's 2.5" all the way for the bigger turbo :)  Glad you're happy with it though mate!

What are you doing with the cutout in the rear bumper. I was behind you earlier tonight going from abermoddu going into town. And pass you most mornings on the way to work

Gonna get it plastic welded and sprayed eventually. I may get a piece of carbon to neatly go in there for the time being.

I did wonder if it was you! Did you used to have a private plate on it? I struggle to see who's driving it through the tints! I'll wave in future now I know it's you!!

I fancied not having soot on my boot!! This system definitely sounds better than the old Piper too! Plus it's 2.5" all the way for the bigger turbo :) Glad you're happy with it though mate!

Gonna get it plastic welded and sprayed eventually. I may get a piece of carbon to neatly go in there for the time being.

I did wonder if it was you! Did you used to have a private plate on it? I struggle to see who's driving it through the tints! I'll wave in future now I know it's you!!

Ye B18 TLJ since the number plate change I've fitted ap coilovers and octavia spiders

• 4 weeks later...
I fancied not having soot on my boot!! This system definitely sounds better than the old Piper too! Plus it's 2.5" all the way for the bigger turbo...

Can vouch for this it sounds epic, especially with the passenger window down, side exit and all that!

Surprised you've not updated on here Alex! This car is bloody quick now, especially impressive that it's still not eaten the clutch despite having a 2260 running at 2.45 bar or however much it is

Also, you've convinced me, I'm going to order a GTB...

• Like 1