turbo or alt whistle just started?

I've just done an oil and filter (genuine, as always) on my mk1 oct estate 90bhp AGR engine 140K miles (FSH). After running for about 500 miles after the oil change it had developed a whine / whistle. It sounds like the old alternator interference you used to get on older cars without a suppressor on the radio!, but its coming from the engine! It starts around 2000 rpm and is noticable above other engine noises, although still not LOUD. The noise increases in pitch with engine revs. The car runs fine still, just done 250 miles up and down hill and along motorways, with no loss of power, no oil consumption, no smoke, no dash lights, just an audible whistle. I've checked all the hoses etc and can't seem to find any air leaks (not obvious ones anyway)

Is this likely to be the start of my turbo on its way out or possibly the alternator?, both are still the originals, now with 140K on them. Not had much to do with turbo's so any advice greatly appreciated.

Cheers

• 2 weeks later...

Cheers Jimbling, thanks for the reply. Thanks to everyone else for their input on this!!!. As it happens, nothing at all wrong with the turbo, nothing wrong with the alt. Took the alt belt off and ran the engine and the noise went away. The alt tensioner pulley bearing was to put it politely 'broken'. the deflection pulley also had a tiny bit of play on it, so changed them both. Price from the dealer (even with my dicount as i spend a lot there) £157, price from euro car parts (for a genuine SKF pulley and genuine Litens (sp?) tensioner £89. Sound now gone and hopefully good for another 140K miles!!

Happy Days