to add to the fuel topics, my car wont run on 95....

did the national meet, blyton park last weekend.... a WHOLE day on track and a WHOLE tank of tesco 99 used during the day .... car ran perfectly (as it always has) , and used NO oil.....

because I nearly ran it dry on trac, chose nearest tesco to fill up on satnav (assuming it would be the one I put 99 in on my way to the track) and it only had 95...

now I had been running on zero miles left for a while.... and instead of just putting in a tenner and finding some super, I filled it with 95 for this one time (they should run on 95 blar blar) and Ash was driving home, so would be a gentle drive, and I was knackered , and couldnt be arsed to stop again...

the drive home was ok.... no descernable difference.... (I wasn't driving though) my trip to work the next day was ok, but it didn't feel quite right (first time I had driven it with 95) this car has ALWAYS run super....

got to start it up from work and it was as rough as a dog.... misfiring ect .... but it started, and once warmed drove normally....

got in it NEXT morning to go to work and it coyghed and spluttered like it was running ONE cylinder! EPC light , emmisions light , blarg....

tried to drive it to warm it up (as these symptoms dissapeared when warm) and it wouldn't even pull, and I was stranded......

did the "jaboza" restart , to get it away from its cold start procedure, and it ran rough, but ok, warmed up quick , then ran normal to work.... (no warning lights)

got to work 1/4 tank left , filled it with 97 BP ultimate, and hoped for the best that my car wasn't knackered!

after work, it started and drove PERFECTLY....

several hundred miles later, and its still driving perfectly.... recreated same conditions, only difference super this time...

by a matter of illimination..... my car simply wont run on 95 ROn fuel........

Shark.

• Like 4

Just as a wee point on that and the 95 ron. 

It might be worth checking out your spark plugs now.   How many miles have they now covered if they are the originals.?

I know the last car was perfect and the plugs changed were looking fine, and these might be as well,

but it can be worth checking, and a Spark Plug Upgrade over the Standard Factory Fitted ones.

Some plugs that are less than perfect can have no picked up misfires when on 99 ron, but become quite noticeable by the Driver or the ECU when on 95 ron.

(Just my experience of them, and cars on 95 ron, CAVE not CTHE though.)

Edited by goneoffSKi

I didn't let it misfire for long George, and its been perfect since... I'm not going to stress about it and change the sparks UNLESS I get more misfires in the future... which I doubt.... I certainly wont be using 95 again! lol...

I just thought it was worth a post, as quite alot of people who have reported misfires have used 95....

Been using 95 ron in my Vrs since new in Oct 2012 as I cannot get 99 where I live, yesterday I filled up with 99 ron at Tesco in Stirling and drove 90 miles home and I can honestly say I never noticed any difference in performance or fuel economy, and saying that the car has been running sweet since new.

Dave, I did exactly the same thing probably even used the same TESCO forecourt lol. I did however have no problems whatsoever. Car run perfectly fine but I only filled to just above half mark. I normally run TESCO but due to circumstances my next fill up was with Shell Nitro+. Still no difference, all running fine.

• Like 1

Was it possibly not just down to the tank being nearly dry and sucking up the gunk at the bottom? In a previous car (long time ago in a Lupo Sport) I miscalculated the distance to the nearest petrol station and rolled into the forecourt running on fumes - I filled up and when I drove off again the car was running like a coo and the engine management system light was on (eventually cleared itself).

Was it possibly not just down to the tank being nearly dry and sucking up the gunk at the bottom? In a previous car (long time ago in a Lupo Sport) I miscalculated the distance to the nearest petrol station and rolled into the forecourt running on fumes - I filled up and when I drove off again the car was running like a coo and the engine management system light was on (eventually cleared itself).

perfectly good explanation... but I often run it to zero range lol....

all is still well.... two days of driving lessons now, and faultless performance ....

not going to panic and do anything with it, after all, only TWO cars passed me all day at Blyton :P (might have been four had Haydn and Boss been on at the same time ;) ) as it was was Jamies turbo golf 4motion and the mongrel ;)

so all is well, as fast and good as it has ever been :)

just NO 95RON fuel! lol...

shark.

• Like 1

well... thought I would update this....

although the car ran very well at the latest "how fast" session, and all the way home (650 miles in one weekend, and a whole tank of fuel on the day of how fast!)

this morning I started it, and it misfired again :( EPC light and engine management light.....

when warm it ran brilliant for the rest of the day ...

but THIS time no 95 fuel.... so I have to conclude that I was wrong, and it was probably nothing to do with the fuel, as ryno said above.... it may be worth checking out as something else wrong...

SO ITS AT THE GARAGE! :o

my first problem in these cars in 75,000 miles.....

25,000 miles on this one.... lets hope they sort it out, and nothing gets damaged :(

I can NO LONGER be the devils advocate , and stick up for them with a perfect track record :(

and I quote this weeks auto express, when doing the used buy story (scirroco) "the twincharged engine is prone to misfires"

*sigh.

thanks, me too! lol.....

I'm willing to bet they get the fault codes for multiple misfires, and can find nothing wrong! I don't want it to deterioate to a new engine, so will demand new plugs and coil packs at a minimum, and a check of all sensors involved in the cold start procedure....

for sure I will not be fobbed off with "we can't find anything wrong sir"

but to be fair to my local skoda dealer, even though the sales dept. leaves alot to be desired, the tech team are good, and will hopefully get it running nice for me again...

it was the fastest car at "how fast" with an unmodified engine!

shark

Just get the plugs and make the garage gap them for you to 0.75, 0.80 max. I do not believe coil packs are faulty.

If you can try this one out for me:

Cold start in the morning. Start her up, wait 3 secs, switch her off, wait 3 sec and start her up again. Let me know if you can still feel misfires.

Doesn't have to be morning, if she's stationery all day while you work the same could be done when you about to go home.

I think RON95 highlights the problem instead of being the root cause.

Edited by Jabozuma

I would get the plugs out and changed Dave, whoever pays the bill.

This is suspicious after having just done a track session in a previously faultless car.

My car produced multiple misfires when out with Jamie as passenger at Combe, Jason cleared them and the car ran fine with no noticeable difference. I wouldn't bat an eyelid at the odd misfire after track work but the fact it ran rough would have me running to at least change the plugs.

Best of luck mate, I am confident it will just be a blip and solved very simply.

• Like 1

Just get the plugs and make the garage gap them for you to 0.75, 0.80 max. I do not believe coil packs are faulty.

If you can try this one out for me:

Cold start in the morning. Start her up, wait 3 secs, switch her off, wait 3 sec and start her up again. Let me know if you can still feel misfires.

Doesn't have to be morning, if she's stationery all day while you work the same could be done when you about to go home.

I think RON95 highlights the problem instead of being the root cause.

I have read your theory before, and tried the restart method... it didn't work. only thing that "mended" it was warming the car up. I have only driven it to the garage... its up to then now. I told them they can have it until lunchtime on thursday! lol..

Well, it did work - it simply proved that you do indeed have a problem instead of ECU bending over backwards to satisfy emissions and warm up the cat ASAP causing rough running in the process. Could you ask the garage to give you back your old plugs and post photos of them here?

I am very interested in your situation as my car has the same motor, 23k mileage, similar oil consumption, is being tracked like yours and had that cold rough running as yours. The only difference is that the "switch on-off-on method" is working fine on mine where it doesn't work for you. I will probably pull the plugs in Sept unless I ask the dealer to change them for me as my vRS's telling me it wants to be serviced now.

I am getting VCDS so I will be able to log misfires and see what is going on.

maybe there is a misunderstanding on rough running when cold... they all sound odd/lumpy up/down revs ect when cold, they all do that.... mine always has, and it never bothered me.

by rough running from cold, I mean misfiring so the whole car is shaking, EPC light, enginemanagement (emmisions) light... unable to run/pull the car .... ROUGH. lol...

maybe there is a misunderstanding on rough running when cold... they all sound odd/lumpy up/down revs ect when cold, they all do that.... mine always has, and it never bothered me.

by rough running from cold, I mean misfiring so the whole car is shaking, EPC light, enginemanagement (emmisions) light... unable to run/pull the car .... ROUGH. lol...

That is certainly ROUGH!

Only when stationery or when driving cold as well? 

I only get that at idle, push the loud pedal and all fine...

sharkrider,

could you please add the Pic of the Spark Plugs that were removed so that anyone reading this thread might be able to see what the problem turned out to be. ?

I have lost lots of my pictures that were on my computer but i still have this one.

25,000 miles in a CAVE Engine, the one plug with the tip near gone, from Cylinder 3, and another, and a DENSO replacement.

(there were no Warning Lights, and no Fault Codes because no Misfires had Registered.)

Edited by goneoffSKi

• 8 months later...

bump just to add to the Spark Plug issue,

it is not just a CAVE issue, it occurs with CTHE Engines, and with the 'Uprated' Spark Plugs that VW / Skoda started fitting as OEM.

• Like 1