De-Cat vs MOT

Just a quick one for you guys who've installed de-cat pipes: How do you get on at MOT time? Do you pass emissions tests? Do you pass/fail overall? (i.e. is it physically inspected)

It seems so much cheaper than a sports cat, so if I can get away with it I might go down that route :p

Thanks in advance.

Just a quick one for you guys who've installed de-cat pipes: How do you get on at MOT time? Do you pass emissions tests? Do you pass/fail overall? (i.e. is it physically inspected)

It seems so much cheaper than a sports cat, so if I can get away with it I might go down that route :p

Thanks in advance.

Get a fake cat fitted if in worries of visual inspection :)
  • Like 1

Previously with a decat it may have passed as it was based purely on emissions, but now if a car was fitted with a CAT from new then it must be physically present in the exhaust otherwise its a fail for it missing.

The MK1 Octy will barely pass an emissions test with a sports CAT, never mind without one. My old one with Miltek sports CAT had to be blatted around local roads just before the test to come under the limits, otherwise it failed. That was with an engine that had less than 50K on it, and 3 years old. At 13 years old it could take a lot more.

• Like 1

As above. My vrs failed in may for not having a decat and emissions, the guy even said I know as soon as you leave here its going to go back on when I went for the retest. I just swap them over for mot time, its a pain I know but worth it. Too tight to buy a sports cat too.

• Like 1

Thanks in advance.

Basically buddy you don't get on at MOT time with a decat.

It will fail, it will fail emissions 100%.

You either need to remove or get a friendly tester to pass it(though to do that,  is effectively running the emissions with another vehicle hooked up) which you are not likely to get one these days. :notme:

Get a fake cat fitted if in worries of visual inspection :)

Also a visual is not going to work on a petrol motor, it must pass emissions.

• Like 1

You can get anything to fit, even it means getting someone to custom fabricate an adapter. My Audi has two custom made flexi joints in stainless steel, and they were not that expensive.

So basically it's OEM or grief at MOT time.

In that case, does anyone know if a 2.5" Piper cat-back will fit straight onto an OEM cat, or will I need extra bits?

No it won't fit dude as the diameter of std exhaust is to small unless you have a reducer adapter. I have a sports cat I could lend for MOT if you get stuck.

Dose the piper not come with an adapter ? its sold as a cat back so should be supplied with a reducer like my old miltek was when I bought it new so I could fit straight onto std cat or simply remove the reducer and fit to sports cat did you buy it new or secondhand ?

Dose the piper not come with an adapter ? its sold as a cat back so should be supplied with a reducer like my old miltek was when I bought it new so I could fit straight onto std cat or simply remove the reducer and fit to sports cat did you buy it new or secondhand ?

Yes should come with adapter and or reducer, but the piper is already fitted to his car so unless he kept it or maybe it was already fitted and he never got the adapter/reducer .

So basically it's OEM or grief at MOT time.

In that case, does anyone know if a 2.5" Piper cat-back will fit straight onto an OEM cat, or will I need extra bits?

What have you got fitted at the moment buddy to the piper

At the mo it's completely OEM - it's just broken so I might as well get a Piper upgrade.

I also need to replace the Cat O2 sensors, so now would be the best time to get a replacement for that section as well (the whole lot is corroded to hell) hence this thread.

Because people are saying a De-Cat will cause problems at MOT time, I'm thinking of getting a replacement OEM Cat and then fitting a Piper Cat-back.

Why not get a decat pipe and weld in a 200cell cat.

That'd be good, but I don't have the capability to do that. Tbh I'm now at a point of just throwing parts on the car just to get it fixed - everytime I fix one thing, 2 things go wrong... so I'm playing catch-up all the time.

I've still got to sort the following:

- Rad & fans (overheating)

- Servo assist (trying to brake quickly is interesting)

- Discs and pads

- New tyres

- Tracking

- New gearbox

- ...I'm sure there's more

The list is getting so big now that I'm just going to chuck money at ready-made parts before something major happens :P

im about to fit a full system on mine, inc downpipe and decat. question is , are any of you declaring the decat to the insurance, if so will they actually cover you for it as they are not legal for the road.

I think I might cry... finally order it and this has happened:

Piper_zps2efd7607.jpg

The one single tailpipe design I liked the look of (6"x4" oval) and they've stopped making them. Now I'm going to have to choose between a 4" Jap slash-cut or another 6"x4" oval which has got a weird looking bit of extra metal inside the tip :(

Image101Large.jpg

im about to fit a full system on mine, inc downpipe and decat. question is , are any of you declaring the decat to the insurance, if so will they actually cover you for it as they are not legal for the road.

Go see the post by Toxicvrs where he got hit by a driver who had his insurance voided by their insurer due to them checking for undeclared mods.

I think I might cry... finally order it and this has happened:

Piper_zps2efd7607.jpg

The one single tailpipe design I liked the look of (6"x4" oval) and they've stopped making them. Now I'm going to have to choose between a 4" Jap slash-cut or another 6"x4" oval which has got a weird looking bit of extra metal inside the tip :(

Image101Large.jpg

I have that piper and it looks ok mate. When that inside bit gets black from exhaust gases you will not notice it.

Ooh thats nice that is! Just tell them its no problem you'll have one! As for the insurance question don't hesitate to declare modifications buddy. If your car is involved in a crash they almost certainly will send an assessor out to check the car and they will look for any excuse they can to avoid covering you. Tbh I'm not entirely sure they'll even cover a road car with a cat removed anyway.

Lovely bit of kit that Bowders. So am I right in saying the ebay downpipe+200cel sport cat will fit onto that piper system?

yeah , if you get the proper sports cat and downpipe (as seen in the same pic with the piper system) it will be correct diameter to fit straight into piper with no sleeves or reducers. 

The separate pic of the decat will not fit as i had to weld a extension to it .