Tiptronic lever self destruction

jimbof

I had my tiptronic lever repaired (replaced?) under warranty two and a half years ago.  It had the common floppy / sticky button issue.

Yesterday the snazzy beauty trim came off in my hands while parking... which was interesting as I thought these were basically impossible to take apart.

Anyhow, looks like some clips at the top of the trim have snapped and given way, along with a fatigued clip along the back of the trim.  It basically slides down onto the lever but in it's current state won't click on.  

Gearknob beauty trim

You can see in the top of the lever, with the trim removed, an access hole for the mechanism.  I attach the photos in case they are of use to you guys.

Gear knob without decorative cover

Hole to access mechanism?

Anyhow, I refuse to spend any more money on repairing sillinesses on this car - a small amount of hot melt glue to the back and top of the trim and the trim is held securely back on now.

Re-assembled

It looks like options for repairing the button if broken are very limited - the main body of the lever is a rubber over moulding over the plastic mechanism and button - so no way to remove the button without cutting into the rubber moulding.

The US Passat guys have adapters available which let you use any manual gearknob - you pull the knob up to have the same effect as pushing the button in.