Selling and trading in your car, vRS MK2 Fabia Particularly. Remaps.

Rooted

I think it would be good if people that used to own cars that had been Remapped gave out the Registration Numbers so that people 

going to buy a used vRS know that there could be issues if the car proves to have a faulty engine down the line.

To me it seems only fair to Briskoda members or others.

I can understand that it is highly unlikely to happen, just like when i asked a couple of years ago if those that got 

a buy back or settlement from Skoda on Rejected cars to give the details & Registration Number.

There are not many Mk2 Fabia vRS around in the UK, About 1,800 June 2010 - 2012 CAVE Engine,

& 1,200 2012 - 2014 CTHE engine.

(These CTHE will not have been Remapped, but maybe someone has had the ECU opened to try.)

Buying a used one is a bit of a lottery due the if it was a Oil user had had a Oil Consumption Test, Breather Mod, or a Engine replaced,

once or more than once.

Anyway that can all be checked with Skoda UK, the Service and Warranty History.

But,

What can not be checked is if Someone Remapped their car, and then Sold or Traded in the vRS and never let on.

* To be a bit safer when buying used, best make sure that when the car is serviced, you get the latest Skoda ECU Update applied.*

Buyers of used vRS might think they have the Remainder of the Original Warranty, or there is a Extended Warranty,

only to find out later it is Void because the car was previously Remapped.

george

Edited by goneoffSKi
  • Like 2

George, I like the thought process but I'm not sure how many people will openly admit to having modified the car like this albeit there are no comebacks for them.

I would ask them to think of folk like me though, who have just had to take their car in for the first stage oil consumption test and who were sitting on a knife edge due to not knowing if the car was standard or not. The technical report hadn't been filed on the Skoda system as of yesterday so in fact I'm still in the dark, but hopefully all is well on that front. I wouldn't like to find out that even with 9 months manufacturers warranty still on the car that it could be invalidated due to a previous owner, and thus leave me and others like me with a £4500 problem to resolve.

Another thing I have noticed very recently is the sheer number of mk2 Fabia Vrs that have appeared for sale. When we bought ours at the start of June 2014 there were very few available within a 100 miles or so. There are a lot available at the moment, and I notice most are aged between 2010 and 2012, either out of warranty or due to go out of warranty and most likely with a CAVE engine. As before the great majority will of course be absolutely spot on, but for the minority that are not and are about to be bought by an unsuspecting new owner, it would be good information to possess knowing whether or not the warranty would be goosed.

That said of course, I've no idea how many would be members on here prior to buying one so therefore wouldn't see this thread.

• Like 1

I know it is wishful thinking that some ex owner is going to give up a Registration Number.

It might help only a few if they did, but at least 2 on the forum now might be forewarned.

What sickens me is members that did sell/trade in with a car they know got fixed after they broke it, and they put it away with the Remap still on,

someone now has that car, and the previous owner might think it is funny that someone has it and does not know.

There are a few vRS like that out there, but hopefully not Briskoda members that find it funny.

It is 'Buyer Beware'.

Maybe best to, Have the Skoda Dealer apply the latest Skoda Update to the ECU before you collect the car,

& have them put ECU setting back to Factory Setting for , Brake, Steering Assistance & also the XDS if you want to reduce any argument as 

to how the Approved Used Car or just Used Car was when you purchased it.

george

Edited by goneoffSKi

There is nothing to stop people posting up a reg number that they are ineterested in buying and seeing if anyone knows the history. People may be more inclined to respond via PM rather than posting on open threads.

Also not all cars are going to be sold on by Skoda dealers so getting an ECU flash done to ensure it is stock may not always be an option.

There does seem to be a reasonable market for them as I traded mine in a few weeks ago and it has already gone from the dealers website, the salesman even said they had no problem shifting them and they weren't a VAG dealer.

If buying at an Independent or even Private, now that Skoda are sending out letters about the DSG Service campaign and a Free Check or Service Action if you book your car in at a Skoda Dealers, 

you can ask the Seller who will be the Registered Keeper or the Person / Dealer with the car 'In Trade', to put it in to Skoda for the the Action on the DSG 

if no record of it already having been done

& you could while it is there, have the ECU Engine Management Update done, just pay for the 1.4 TSI ECU update if required,

that is if it was not done at a Dealership Service.

Just an Idea, so that the Work is done before you get the car and to help reduce the risks down the line & save the new buyer having to have it done.

george

Edited by goneoffSKi

So not a very common car in the UK, and the vRS Fabia Estate is certainly not plentiful.

Best enjoy them as what there are now are all there will be.

Around about 1,800 CAVE Engine 1.4 TSI vRS Twincharger Hatch & Estates June 2010 - around September 2012

and 1,100 plus 1.4 TSI CTHE engine Hatch & Estates 2012 - August 2014.

http://howmanyleft.co.uk/vehicle/skoda_fabia_vrs_s-a

There is a dealer with a new Unregistered Hatch asking £19,100, and there are some with less than 1000 miles on them

at £4,000 less.

Edited by goneoffSKi

This is part of the risk of buying second hand. There is only one way too be sure that your car hasn't been remapped. Personally I wouldn't buy a mapped car but if I mapped one myself I wouldn't let on either. Would you let on if you had a puncture repair done in your brand new tyre and risk losing £200 of your asking price.

Even if you have the ECU remapped back by skoda, the damage through extra stress in components s already done.

The reason the is an increase in the number of vehicles is that's they have come to the end of 3yr PCPs and leases.

Confused. 

?An increase in the number of what vehicles?

There are usually around 120 Fabia Mk2 vRS advertised on Autotrader and that is what there is now.?

Production has ended, so the only new ones to be registered in the UK are probably already here, so that is pretty near 3,000 UK cars in 4 years & 2 months.

Edited by goneoffSKi

Confused. 

?An increase in the number of what vehicles?

There are usually around 120 Fabia Mk2 vRS advertised on Autotrader and that is what there is now.?

Production has ended, so the only new ones to be registered in the UK are probably already here, so that is pretty near 3,000 UK cars in 4 years & 2 months.

Another thing I have noticed very recently is the sheer number of mk2 Fabia Vrs that have appeared for sale. When we bought ours at the start of June 2014 there were very few available within a 100 miles or so. There are a lot available at the moment.l..

I was referring to a few different point raised.

I reckon this won't be a popular thread George , the chances of anyone stating what they've done is pretty low however it makes perfect sense to do so, this would greatly diminish the risk of buying a lemon but as previous post said you would be opening yourself up to some risk if you do, the reason that's a few on the market now could be down to the information coming out that the unit is badly put together

Edited by seboni121

Sorry what risk are you opening yourself up to,  

do you mean you never told the Dealer or Private Individual that you mapped it, or declared with the Insurance. ?

Then yes that would be a reason not to say,anything once you had sold it on if that is what you did.

As to the 2010 - 2012 engines and the problems that about 20% or more have had, then that is well documented and buyers do need to be aware,

but then it hardly possible for someone to hide the issues, even if VW, Skoda, Audi, Seat would like to.

The cars sell quite well when you tell a buyer what was done, or needed doing with some and the Service and Warranty History if there is any.

There are no more for sale now then there have been or anything unusual, it is just Skoda Dealerships that sometimes ask crazy money,

and often seem to find buyers to pay over the odds.

george

We have been reading and referring to the likes of that for over 3 years.  as you used to often.

Some of us on here actually contribute to that forum, and others and correct some Errors on the Likes of Honest Johns answers.

All issues are well known, and hopefully now Skoda UK deal promptly with the vehicles now showing problems to any buyers of used ones.

The point of my post is they need to know or check that any Warranty provided when buying is Valid and will see to them getting the Financial Assistance.

A Remap on the ECU current or showing as previously done can Invalidate the Warranty.

george

Edited by goneoffSKi

seboni121,  

it is a shame you deleted that link, from post #12,  it is a great help to anyone looking at used Twinchargers.

Forewarned is forewarned. Lots of Lemons out there needing attention sadly.

http://honestjohn.co.uk/carbycar/skoda/fabia-vrs-2010/?section=good

As Skoda release a New Fabia with Euro 6 Emission engines as they have been using in the VW Polo Face Lift, prospective buyers should be aware that as Buyers  of Skoda / VW Group products that fingers crossed, they prove reliable and problem free, 

because owners of previous Skoda models have been treated badly by Skoda & VW, and they are not likely to admit Design or Manufacturing faults

unless forced to, and even then, possibly still not.

They just let owners of badly built or problem engines have to put up with them, fight for the manufacturer to look at the issues, and drag out the proccess

and maybe buyers of used ones have issues well into the future.

Edited by goneoffSKi

If someone reads the honest John negative comments on the vrs there's not a cat in hellz chance they would buy one. It seems that if you manage to sell privetly your darn lucky as someone's not done their homework. Such a shame coz mines performed faultlessly over the 10000 odd miles iv done in a year (now on 30k) and I would recommend it to a friend. Wondering if it's time to get rid before the reputation precedes them too much

• Like 1

If only 2 in 10, or 1 in 4 had issues,

then there are lots that have had no issues, and the ones that have get repaired by Skoda as long as the Warranty is Valid.

The reputation or knowledge of the ones with issue did not put many people off, and has not hit the Twinchargers value for the past 4 years.

People were getting better than with many VWG vehicles at trade in.

A car that looses £2,000 or less a year from new and never cost much in the first place is rather rare.

& a car that there are only 3,000 of in the UK is rather Rare.

There must be around 1,350 CAVE vRS cars that have not had problems.

Edited by goneoffSKi

My point is there seems to be far more bad reviews eg 'notoriously high oil comsumption' then there are good ones - these are the things people looking to buy will remember and it is a shame.

The seller will by trying to convince the to be buyer that 'its not an oil burner I promise, its been a great car. But it is remapped though........ goodbye

That was the point of this Thread as i started it.

Buyers of the early vRS 1.4 TSI that can have issues need to be aware that they need to be sure the ECU was not remapped if they want the 

benefit of a Warranty, or extended warranty.

Because there are a few that bought used cars now finding out that Skoda will not have anything to do with a Warranty Claim if there was 

a Remap on the car.

There are ones that have been Mapped and have no issues, and are not going to need a new engine,

it is proving tough for those that have spent their hard earned & are just stuffed,

and if lucky & can put the car back to a Dealer you bought it from because they never checked, then that is not so bad.

If people are happy with a car out of Warranty and with a Remap on or they are putting one on, then there are no problems,

its just good to know where you stand IMO.

There is no problem having a Remap on, the problem can be where someone has no idea there was a remap until Skoda 

find it was on the ECU once, or still is.

Edited by goneoffSKi
  • Like 1

I px'd mine this time last year.

White Fabia vRS with black pack GK11OFV.

Sold it with an APR Stage 2 remap, miltek downpipe and wossner uprated pistons which were installed by me after the piston rings failed.

Prior to all of this it was a fully fledged stage 3 car running kits of mods.

When it was sold the power steering wasn't working correctly.

Wouldn't buy another fabia or any other car with this engine again and certainly wouldn't wish my old car on anyone. Was quick though lol

• Like 1

Hi Ally

Thing is, with all these horror stories on here the 1st thing I did when I picked up the new to us (3 year old) vRS was to go to the motor factors and get rubber mats (I think there's a day or 2 of Autumn left before winter sets in next week) and the other thing I picked up was a litre of oil which now lives in the boot just in case this car develops a thirst like Oliver Reed.

• Like 1