Will old suspension be the cause of knocking noise and rough ride?

I'm kind of running out of things that might be causing a rough knocking noise when I'm going over uneven road.

I've changed the roll bar drop links, the roll bar bushes, the console bushes were changed to the uprated solid ones a couple of year back but I still getting constant hollow sound knocking when going over rough uneven road.

So, because my VRS is now 11 years old and done 120k, I was wondering if the shocks or/and springs are worn and this is causing the noise. The ride from the front seems a little harsher as well. Oddly, the knocking seems to be less prominent when the weather is warmer and if I've been driving around for 20 mins+.

The only way I can describe the knocking is it's sounds very 'hollow' like I'm driving over a wooden slatted bridge. When going over speed bumps it seems fine with no harsh sound. I've done a bounce test on all 4 corners and the car returns level straight away with no constant up and down moment.

Does anyone know what could be causing this noise, could it be the suspension or something else?

Thanks.

From your description of the sound it's something knocking against the bodyshell, normally I would say exhaust but that would be from the middle or the back of the car, jack it up and have a really good look and grab and shake everything that's close to the body.

My front struts are shot and I get a knocking and squeek. Rest is all pretty new and I keep checking.

I have also noticed there isnt as much give in the suspension like there was. Its gone very bouncy specially with 3 of us in it.

I am thinking of going for some shocks and springs with a slight lowering maybe 25mm want it as std as pos seen as its only my daily.

At that milage ide say its well past its best and the bearings and mounts if original. Mine are all less than 10k old.

I am also wondering if the engine mounts could have something to do with it also. But they are not that cheap and from my personal findings while driving I would go for suspension first for me but cant really say for sure without seeing the car.

As the mechanics say in our vmu at work"let it develop"

;-)

Top mounts, main suspension bushes, CV joints, even worn driveshaft splines:  all can be the cause of knocks and clunks.  Only thing to do is to visually inspect all bushes/engine mounts, jack the front up, put car in gear and check for slack in driveshaft spline/CV joints too.  Had this recently where driveshaft splines on my Volvo were shot and it clunked going over road imperfections, catseyes etc.

Had this recently where driveshaft splines on my Volvo were shot and it clunked going over road imperfections, catseyes etc.

This sounds like the symptoms that I'm experiencing. Over rough road or small bumps the ride sounds very clunky & feels quite harsh.

I've been looking at maybe getting the AP 25mm lowering springs & shocks suspension kit from DPM Performance. They are very well priced @ £256 inc VAT & Delivery. However, I guess the kit doesnt come with top mounts do they? Also are suspension bushes part of the shock/dampener?

Nope.  Control arms and drop links I guess would be the standard ones already on your car.  The AP kit is just shocks and springs.  If going the whole hog you may as well replace the drop link bushes and renew the top mount bushes anyway.

I'm kind of running out of things that might be causing a rough knocking noise when I'm going over uneven road.

I've changed the roll bar drop links, the roll bar bushes, the console bushes were changed to the uprated solid ones a couple of year back but I still getting constant hollow sound knocking when going over rough uneven road.

So, because my VRS is now 11 years old and done 120k, I was wondering if the shocks or/and springs are worn and this is causing the noise. The ride from the front seems a little harsher as well. Oddly, the knocking seems to be less prominent when the weather is warmer and if I've been driving around for 20 mins+.

The only way I can describe the knocking is it's sounds very 'hollow' like I'm driving over a wooden slatted bridge. When going over speed bumps it seems fine with no harsh sound. I've done a bounce test on all 4 corners and the car returns level straight away with no constant up and down moment.

Does anyone know what could be causing this noise, could it be the suspension or something else?

Thanks.

I have these exact symptoms too. Over bump or rough road surface I get a rattle/knock that stops as soon as the road surface smooths out. I also have a rough idle and vibration through the pedals, some days worse than others. I've been told it might be gearbox and/or engine mounts are shot. I recently replaced front console rear bushes with the two-part solid rubber ones and that seems o have made things worse. Not had time to have the car up on ramps to check anything recently. Is there a definitive test for worn gearbox mount? I'd like to sort it out soon before my car shakes to bits.