its either the car or the missus

After months of moaning about the seat the Superb is going .Getting an Octavia hatch bog standard se+. i worked it out it was cheaper to get rid of the car rather than the wife.n Im going to miss it though i really love the car

So let me get this right, you are selling a car fitted with electrically adjustable seats and going to buy one with manual seats because of an issue with the seats  :think:

I hope its not the comfort or adjustment that the Mrs is complaint about, because the electric seats (once adjusted correctly) are far superior than the manual ones.

• Like 2

Having had both, although not latest Octy, I'd say Superb seats are much better than Octy ones. Haven't experienced electric ones but suspect that they are even better again.

Strange decision but each to their own, good luck with the Octy

After months of moaning about the seat the Superb is going .Getting an Octavia hatch bog standard se+. i worked it out it was cheaper to get rid of the car rather than the wife.n Im going to miss it though i really love the car

Have you owned/driven an Octavia before?  I can tell you the Superb has far more superior seats than the Octavia.  I have had three Octavias and another family member has the latest one which I drive sometimes so I think I can make a fair comparison.  You will be more limited with the number of position options on the Octavia as nearly every aspect of the Superb (in elegance spec) seats can be adjusted.  Is the leather itself that doesn't have enough grip maybe or are there other issues with the car?  I recently drove a Superb with half leather and the seats did provide a firmer grip at times alright.  You could still get a Superb with the different seat option - a lower spec Superb would be better than an Octavia at any spec level IMO....just think it through well.  Good luck!

A look in the archive will show that many of us have had trouble with the Superb seats as they can cause hip and leg numbness and for people like me they pressed on my sciatic nerve. Other owners have sold their cars because of this.        Some of us have been forced to alter the seat slightly by bending the offending part of the seat chassis away from the painful area which certainly cured the problem for me. I still wouldn't describe the seats as comfortable but they are okay.

I never had a problem with the electric seats in the Superb, because of the number of adjustments it takes a while to get them right. I followed a guide that I found on the internet and the result was perfect.

The octavia manual seats have far less adjustment, for example when you increase the seat height, you can only raise the base as a whole and not the front and back separately as per the electric seats.

A lot of people drive with what they believe is a good posture whereas in reality its all wrong. Get the seat height correct for you in relation to the pedals, have the seat back not reclined at too steep an angle, then lastly position the steering wheel.

http://eddiejackman.com/how-to-adjust-your-seating-position-while-driving-part-1/

After setting the seats correctly I could (and did twice in the Superb) drive from the UK to the Costa Del Sol over 2 days driving 10+ hours a day and never had backache or anything leg related after driving 1500 miles.

• Like 3

I also drive to the  Costa del Sol , with the loads of adjustment , seat comfort has never been issue . I do tend to tweak it a bit when on a long trip , a great car for comfortable long distance cruising .

I must admit I am very happy with the seats in my Superb are way more comfortable than my Seat Exeo... like everything in life, what is good for one is not always good for another.. 

Car seats are a very personal choice. I have had several VW cars over the past few years and had a new Passat Highline Plus in 2009 with heated leather. The most uncomfortable seats I have ever had in a car - for me. My previous car was a Passat Sport which obviously had the sports seats which were extremely comfortable for me, I soon changed the car for a Passat CC as it had the same sports seats that I found so comfortable. The only way to tell is go for a good long test drive, both in slow moving city traffic and over a longer distance as well.

I also find it can take several thousand miles to find exactly the right seat position, but as I do quite a high weekly mileage that doesn't take me long. I like the electric memory seats on my Superb as if I alter them to a different position one push on the button and back to where it was. Another thing I have done is have all three memory positions in use, one I use for long distance cruising, one for town work and one for general town and dual carriageway etc, so quite often if I'm cruising the motorway on one setting as I approach the slip road I select another memory position - odd I know but it works for me.

• Like 1

Iv'e had a octy vrs ltd edition wonderful seats! Fabia mk2 vrs wonderful seats! Superb i love it but she doesn't .Catches the buttons for the adjustment every time she gets in it or out of it and she says it hurts her back so its got to go.

As a bonus though i get to get a Kenwood dnx521dab!

Just had my avatar removed because it said S H I T E my god i thought we lived in a society were free speech was allowed . Watch out big brother IS watching you!. obviously it upsets thesome of the southern softies on the forum

Edited by flamazine

I've just driven over 600 miles to the S of France in the L&K Superb, a journey I've done many times, and I have to say I LOVE the comfort of these seats. The last 3 times I've done the journey in big armchair seats of a CR-V, and by halfway there my backside was not happy. This time it was as happy as anything and not a complaint from any of the other passengers either :)  Only niggle was the tint in the rear windows wasnt enough to keep the heat of the sun off whereas all my previous vehicles with factory tinted glass did a much better job and it wasnt even that hot this time....

... can sympathize, the seating position in the Yeti gave me far fewer back problems than the current motor, a Superb estate as the initial reaction when you get in,  seems to be to set it for: 'comfortable armchair' ...... however with the lumbar supports and a far more upright back, we are getting there...

I found it cheaper to get rid of the OH and a lot more enjoyable!
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

... can sympathize, the seating position in the Yeti gave me far fewer back problems than the current motor, a Superb estate as the initial reaction when you get in,  seems to be to set it for: 'comfortable armchair' ...... however with the lumbar supports and a far more upright back, we are getting there...

...thought we were there.. but a thousand plus miles later... backpain not pleasant...   :thumbdown: ..

It does seem to be a personal thing with car seats. I still maintain that the seats in a VW Bora I once had were the best ever. Never had a bad back during my ownership. We have Volvo XC70s where I work and although the initial impression is that the seats are comfortable, loads of people complain that it gives them chronic back pain, myself included.

I thought this must be a thread by Auric :D

Slightly OT. I remember a Mitchel and Webb sketch about the Moon landing being a hoax. Roughly speaking they talked about the cost of staging the fake landing (you still have to build a rocket so people can see it take off etc) and in the end they reckoned the only difference between the real thing and the fake in terms of cost would be the catering. It was cheaper to go to the moon

Having had sciatica, a wrecked back, shoulder, hamstrings and knees I feel well qualified to comment on seating position. Adjustment is the be all and end all. Lumbar support is very important. The link Mannyo posted looks pretty good. Its a car seat not an office chair. With correct adjustment I can drive for hours without a break. We have several vans at work with partitions that stop me getting the seat in the right place. Basically I have to stop every hour and get out in order to avoid ceasing up. Electric seats should offer a great deal more than normal seats such as in the Octavia.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk