TMG Stage 1 (+ couple of mods) looong review

Really,

More than a match in what way , Acceleration or better economy?

Which particular Audi A3 TDI if it is in acceleration to over the National Speed Limits, 

or say from 30 - 70 mph?

the 3.0l TDI with 245ps certainly gets a shift on.

The 184 ps does not stay with a Twincharger.

george

Just posting experiences. Coming off roundabouts the A3 seems to have way more ability to put the power down, whilst the Fab's ECU is busy interfering, but secondly even on the straight as you suggest the TDi is only a whisker slower (rolling starts, I don't know about off the line)... certainly not enough of a difference to be able to pull past.

Probably somewhat less smoke puffing out the twincharger though :)

Sorry i misunderstood, is it you driving A3's and finding that they are more than a match.?

I find when they are behind or in front and going for it, they are just not in the game.

But then i do not have TC on , cutting power to the engine or nipping at the brakes.

Just posting experiences. Coming off roundabouts the A3 seems to have way more ability to put the power down, whilst the Fab's ECU is busy interfering, but secondly even on the straight as you suggest the TDi is only a whisker slower (rolling starts, I don't know about off the line)... certainly not enough of a difference to be able to pull past.

Probably somewhat less smoke puffing out the twincharger though :)

By interfering, do you mean the ESP/ASP cutting power due to wheelspin? That's a totally different thing, nothing to do with the A3 being as powerfull though which is how I interpreted your original message.

I agree that even as stock, you will find the vRS can't easily put the power down while at 2nd or 3rd gear and you'll get the ESP light flashing often. But this is traction and depends on a lot of things, tyres and throttle control being some of the most critical ones. I had discovered I could actually get going much faster if I didn't slam the pedal until past 4K in 3rd gear when rolling at slow speeds, I think it takes some getting used to and understanding the behaviour of the car. But usually, anything above 60-70 kmh would just slingshot it forward without any drama. Similarly, from a standing start you wouldn't have much traction issues once half-way through 2nd gear. To put it this way, if the engine is already in med-high revs (>3.5K rpm) you will almost always shoot ahead. Below that, I think the supercharger and turbocharger deliver the power so quickly that it can't get through the tyres  properly. Although, even if you don't get the best possible start, you usually make up for it pretty quickly. A good example of this was once against a 2000 BMW 330d (stock vRS at the time) when we almost simultaneously entered an empty two-lane highway coming out a roundabout and apparently both slammed the pedal (big smoke puff from the beemer). Due to me not being prepared for a "race" I had 4th gear ~ 2K rpm and naturally, planting my foot without downshifting first resulted in ESP cutting power. So, up to 50-60 mph we were going one next to the other which actually surprised me, but past that I started moving away from him at an increasing rate. Now since this happened to me against a 2000 330d, (around 185 bph?) I would imagine it's fairly easy to leave an A3 behind in a similar situation.

Put on a set of Federal RS-R's (other brands available) on and go to a track, you will be rather surprised :)

Road driving is not very telling really... last night I was "playing" with 135iM the only time he was able to get close or get away (I am no lane hogger) was on straights a while after bends and that car has 200bhp more than vrs... I was ramming his bumper on corner exits and in braking zones...

Edited by Jabozuma

I actually am, that's the plan at least if the weather doesn't beat me to it. I plan to change brake fluid to Motul RBF 600 so that I don't boil anything and my Dunlops are on their final months anyway so should be fun... Thing is the local track will be probably closing for the public rather soon.

Try this one out, you will find it a "bit" better :)

http://www.opieoils.co.uk/p-69356-gulf-competition-rf1000-racing-brake-fluid.aspx

"This feature distinguishes RF1000 from standard high performance brake fluids, as they are suitable for use even when the brake discs get so hot they start to glow orange-red."

I guess that means I'm at least expected to get my brake discs glowing otherwise it's money thrown away??  :D

On a serious note, will these extreme racing fluids be fine for slow everyday driving as well?

Edited by newbie69

That is what I am using and I am not complaining :). The issues  I had with my brakes was halfwit at Skoda factory set my ABS to minimum assist. After I set it to max it felt like I bolted on Big Brake Kit lol.

With your power levels you will be putting much more thermal energy into your brake fluid so will be more than justified.