pre heater

hi, I've just noticed that Renault laguna,s have a coolant preheater plumbed into the pipework, I might look into how they are wired in and maybe see about fitting one to my 2.0 tdi to see if it speeds up the heating process. i'm assuming it must have some kind of relay & temp device to switch off when warm. a trip to the breakers yard I think, before it gets too cold !

The VAG version of this is a different coolant flange on the engine block that has holes for basically 3 heater plugs.

When the ambient temp is below a certain amount they are provided power to speed up the heating of the engine.

Don't know what difference they make.

Another option is the electric PTC heater. It fits inside the heater matrix and provides up to 1000 watts (that's 80 amps!!!) of heat into the cab before the engine is warmed up. It doesn't always draw this though and the car basically gives it left over energy... so If the car can only give 110amps (due to alternator size) and you're already using 40 amps with various electricals then the heater can only draw the remainder... something along those lines anyway. It's controlled automatically by the climate control I believe.

There's a thread on the install in a MK5 Golf here:

http://www.golfmkv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=113468

Phil

are you sure you don't have some already   opposite end to cambelt?    I have a citroen one from a Picasso I think(cost £5) which has 4 plugs, on the seat- it's plumbed in to the coolant pipe to the oil cooler and makes quite a big difference in winter (on manual switches) mostly only use 2 at a time unless it's really cold  again total draw is approx. 84 amps !!!  I have some more details on here or seatcupra net from some years back if it helps

The VAG version of this is a different coolant flange on the engine block that has holes for basically 3 heater plugs.

When the ambient temp is below a certain amount they are provided power to speed up the heating of the engine.

Don't know what difference they make.

Another option is the electric PTC heater. It fits inside the heater matrix and provides up to 1000 watts (that's 80 amps!!!) of heat into the cab before the engine is warmed up. It doesn't always draw this though and the car basically gives it left over energy... so If the car can only give 110amps (due to alternator size) and you're already using 40 amps with various electricals then the heater can only draw the remainder... something along those lines anyway. It's controlled automatically by the climate control I believe.

There's a thread on the install in a MK5 Golf here:

http://www.golfmkv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=113468

Phil

I looked at the thread and like the idea of an electric heater but it looks a pig to fit and wire in so I may still try tapping into the coolant hoses and going that route - if I can find any room in there that is !

I wonder if anyone's been brave enough to tackle that one?  -- from memory I think on the Audi's they don't switch till approx. -5'C If I had such installed luxury, I would rewire to manual (and idiot proof it's too  easy to forget  !! )

I may be tempted to take it on but would struggle with the vag com thing, I assume you have to activate it for it to work. that was the only reason I sold my last Octavia tdi, great car but in the winter the heating was rubbish. I sold it and bought a £400 ford puma, cheapest car with tax and test in my area at the time, what a great little car, the heating was getting warm by the end of my road and after a couple of mile I was turning it down as it was too hot. I've now bought my fathers 2008 2.0 tdi Octavia elegance estate which has only got 39000 miles on it, great car but now its starting to get colder again i'm starting to worry about the old heating issues. still got the puma by the way, just in case !!

Sorry to be pedantic, but the value for the current supplied for the heater got me interested!

The formula for power is Power = current x voltage (P=IV), above we know that 1000 = current x 240

So I = p/v  in this case 1000/240 which is approx just over 4 amps!

84 amps is one hell of a think cable!

Sorry to be pedantic, but the value for the current supplied for the heater got me interested!

The formula for power is Power = current x voltage (P=IV), above we know that 1000 = current x 240

So I = p/v in this case 1000/240 which is approx just over 4 amps!

84 amps is one hell of a think cable!

Err, its 12V not 240.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk