CAN YOU GET A TUNNING BOX FOR VRS (2014 ENGINE)

I wondering if its possible because all I see is CAVE engines on here with a box and not much detail online. can anyone tell me what the later engine BHP is and what boxes I could get. thanks

you can... but there are not really any proven gains yet...... no remaps available yet....

generally the box gives 200bhp on a cave engine from 180bhp...... which is good value for money.... (my old cave gave 199.6 on setting 7 with a TMC box and nothing else) I have seen 215 with intakes + exhaust ect .....

however I have seen at least 3 RR results of the cthe engine at 195bhp standard.... and one with a box at 200bhp......

sooooo, I would say no conclusive proof a box is worth it on a cthe car....

if the standard cars are 195bhp, I would hope for 220-230bhp with a box, and that simply hasn't happened......

some may disagree ;) but they will post.

• Like 1

It doesn't appear that anyone has cracked the latest ECU from reading the various mapping threads so a direct remap is oit and from what sharkrider says the boxes are a gimmick on the newer engines. However it also sounds like they are rolling out of the factory with a decent amount of power anyway.

Personally I'd go for upgrades to the handling as the straight line capabilities of the car are okay but push it hard round some bends and you see the weaknesses. RARB is a good start.

Iv been told by the guys who sort my dunno runs out that a friend of theirs with a polo 1.4 tsi gained 22bhp with a turbo back exhaust. An intercooler on top of this and I reckon it'll take it to 30bhp more. All on stock map. I'll throw it out there that on a cthe with a full exhaust, intercooler and possibly igt intake you could be looking at 225bhp

• Like 1

Beat me to it! ^^ My impression is that if you have a CTHE, save you money and invest in a intake IC and exhaust. It's seems that tuning boxes don't make enough of a gain to warrant buying one. I also get the feeling UK tuning companies are reluctant to invest money in cracking the ECU and tinkering with it.

IC and heat shielding to intake pipes (there's an inch between turbo charge pipe and the turbo housing!) to lower the charge temps are the simplest mods. I recorded 55C intake temps and that was not even on a track day... 

More reliable Spark Plugs with the Engine Management as went with the CAVE and now the improved CTHE is rather important.

Because as the tip burnt out on Cylinder 3,

you might be lucky and feel a misfire or get one of the 2 lights or both show and warn you.

When those misfires are missed or ignored by the driver or the ECU. and the tip breaks off the spark plug, it can be a bit of a hassle, to say the least.

(Understatement if ever there was one.)

Edited by goneoffSKi

Well for the 125quid the bluespark cost it was worth it for the torque alone. Have quite bit more low down in the rev range and say its worth the money. I would say worth the money because of the price. If i take it off you can see a noticeable difference.

• Like 1