Gearbox nightmare, Mr Clutch incompetence

Hi all, I had my clutch replaced at Mr. Clutch 2 months ago, and a few nights ago there was an almighty bang/clunk and my passenger side driveshaft had come off. Working with just a light in pitch black, I thought I could just replace the bolts. But on closer inspection, there is a big hole in the gear box near where the loose drive shaft would've been flailing around. And 3 of the 6 bolts which hold the driveshaft to the transmission are very bent. Clearly not been put on right. Anyone got any idea where I stand legally? Mr Clutch apparently guarantee "all parts and labour", and I kept to warranty inspections (which basically involves some bloke driving your car round the corner). But I've got a nasty feeling this might be the end for my beloved Fabia :sweat:

I'd say you have a strong case to take the car back and get them to put a new gearbox in!

If they had torque the driveshaft bolts to the pecified torque then there is no way they should have come loose.

Give them a ring and speak to the manager and start from there.

If they start trying to back out then get some advice some the CAB or trading standards before trying anything else wit them.

Put pressure on and ask to have the car recovered to them to be repaired... you also want a courtesy car while it's being repaired which I think is a very reasonable request.

Good luck!

Phil

• Like 1

Hi all, I had my clutch replaced at Mr. Clutch 2 months ago, and a few nights ago there was an almighty bang/clunk and my passenger side driveshaft had come off. Working with just a light in pitch black, I thought I could just replace the bolts. But on closer inspection, there is a big hole in the gear box near where the loose drive shaft would've been flailing around. And 3 of the 6 bolts which hold the driveshaft to the transmission are very bent. Clearly not been put on right. Anyone got any idea where I stand legally? Mr Clutch apparently guarantee "all parts and labour", and I kept to warranty inspections (which basically involves some bloke driving your car round the corner). But I've got a nasty feeling this might be the end for my beloved Fabia :sweat:

Very sorry to hear of your misfortune with Mr Clutch like others had said be firm but positive if you are a member of the RAC etc perhaps get them to make a report.If the job was done correctly there is no way the bolts would have failed and the drive shaft come out. Poor workmanship with the fitter and Mr Clutch has quite a bad service report on the net. But like everything the job is only as good as what the person is doing it lets hope you get a good result.

The official Skoda procedure requires that new driveshaft to flange bolts be used each time they are removed. They must not be reused.

After an initial tightening of 10Nm, the torque should be 50Nm+45° if the bolts are M10 or 20Nm+180° if the bolts are M8.

If the correct torque is applied to new bolts, they don't come undone.

HTH

The official Skoda procedure requires that new driveshaft to flange bolts be used each time they are removed. They must not be reused.

After an initial tightening of 10Nm, the torque should be 50Nm+45° if the bolts are M10 or 20Nm+180° if the bolts are M8.

If the correct torque is applied to new bolts, they don't come undone.

HTH

Is that just because they have thread lock on the bolts?

Is that just because they have thread lock on the bolts?

I don't think so. If you undo one of the bolts and then angle tighten it again it has a different feel and takes a different peak torque.

Some time ago I did some tests to end an argument about reusing bolts. I checked these bolts, the wishbone to knuckle bolts, the ARB droplink bolts and the engine mount bolts with a digital reading torque wrench. The final torque for new bolts was very different compared to reused bolts in all cases.

I GOT A BOX OUT OF AN 06 PLATE 40K WITH PROOF OF MILEAGE OFFERS WELCOME

It's probably a bit premature to be going for endgame-legal-escalation-armchair-general-red-button-pushing-nuclear-armageddon-insanity!

Give them a chance to sort it under the terms of their warranty, it's clearly and unarguably their fault, they don't have a leg to stand on and they'll know it.

I don't think so. If you undo one of the bolts and then angle tighten it again it has a different feel and takes a different peak torque.

Some time ago I did some tests to end an argument about reusing bolts. I checked these bolts, the wishbone to knuckle bolts, the ARB droplink bolts and the engine mount bolts with a digital reading torque wrench. The final torque for new bolts was very different compared to reused bolts in all cases.

Stretch bolts then? :)

• 2 weeks later...

Great result!

You would hope that they checked, double and then triple checked the work this time!

Fingers crossed everything is sorted now.

I guess we all make mistakes... just nice when people hold their hands up and admit it and put it right.

Phil