Fitting coilovers

Hey guys, me again lol..... I am going to fit coilovers to my octy vrs, is this going to be a difficult task?

I've opted for JOM's as they have a 2 year warranty and on a car less than £1500, I don't see it with putting a £700/£900 set on it,

I'm pretty capable of doing most things on the car with my mechanic friend max, (ok, I do a fair bit of watching, but I do help lol) but, is there anything I need to know before I undertake such a task.

Do I need top mounts, new droplinks? I don't plan to lower by much, maybe 40mm? Maybe 50mm...

Thanks peeps :-)

Joe

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Took me 12 hours to do the front, everything rusted on. It was the drivers side that was the pain.

You dont get much room to manoeuvre old shock and spring because of the shorter driveshaft hitting rollbar.

Spring clamps and that hub spreader tool is a must(I used a large bolt with threads sawn off, then filed into an oval shape. It was a 10 mm spanner fitment)

The rear needed heat on the top shock mounts, 2 bolts. Bottom nut came off pretty easy.

My previous cars were really easy but not tge octy lol.

Soak the nuts and bolts in wd-40 and a big breaker bar is a good idea also a air gun or battery gun does come in handy if you are confident it should take you 3-4 hours max I have done loads

Where are you based ?

Buy spring compressors if you can, would have made my life so much easier if i had them!

Make sure yiu have the hub splitter tool aswell or you are going to have problems

Plenty of wd40 and soak all nuts

Took me hours to do but if i was ti do it again i could do it in a few hours this time

Damn lol.... Thought it was a bolt off and on jobby lol.

I am in sussex, worthing... (jimbling)

May have to rethink tackling this one ah ha

Not  that simple dude if you are not prepared for a few problems along the way, and judging by your recent threads i would leave well alone and get someone else to do it. :D

I'm a mechanic and work in Fontwell BN18 if you need help!

please help him..................... :D

• Like 1

Bowders1, we have all had to start somewhere, so no, I will not leave well alone! I'm asking for advice on how to do it and help along the way. It's a learning curve, so please, encouraging and helpful responses only. You may be a master mechanic, I don't know. But I'm not. I'm just interested in learning how to modify and fit parts to my car. Thanks :-)

Bowders1, we have all had to start somewhere, so no, I will not leave well alone! I'm asking for advice on how to do it and help along the way. It's a learning curve, so please, encouraging and helpful responses only. You may be a master mechanic, I don't know. But I'm not. I'm just interested in learning how to modify and fit parts to my car. Thanks :-)

Mate relax. Joking......

Come on how many posts have I supported you dude. You should know me by now.[emoji4]

I would not expect you to stop..

Wait till you get to my age to be grumpy.[emoji12]

I am no master mechanic but am enthusiast with a sense of humour still.[emoji4]

I was actually referring to your recent bad luck in some of your posts, not so much your mechanic skills buddy.....

• Like 1