boring MPG question, think mines a bit too thirsty!

Hi guys,

One of the reasons i bought the vrs was due to it being powerful, yet having half decent fuel consumption. But i can't seem to get good MPG out of it. 

i know cars never meet the quoted figures, but the ones for a 2.0 TFSI VRS are:

• Urban 25.9
  • Average 35.8
  • Extra Urban 45.6

I went on a long run to hastings and back at the weekend and the highest i could get it to read was 33MPG. 

What do the rest of you get? Is there something wrong with my car or is this usual?

Should i give it more of a chance on a longer motorway journey? 

Cheers

Steve

Was this on your dashboard or worked out with maths etc??

On my dash on my pre FL vRS TFSI, i used to get 40-42 on a long run and 30-35 around town (obviously i was driving sensibly , cruise @ 70 etc)

On my current FL vRS TSI i can get 40-44 on a run and mainly about 32-35 around town.

But remember the dash is inaccurate compared to properly working out the figures

My dash reads about 4 MPG higher than reality.

Best 'real' figure I have got is 38 on a long run at sensible speeds.

Worst I have got is 24

My average is 32

If you keep the revs down and don't boot it, they are not too bad... But not if you drive with any enthusiasm :)

• Like 1

On my dash on my pre FL vRS TFSI, i used to get 40-42 on a long run and 30-35 around town (obviously i was driving sensibly , cruise @ 70 etc)

On my current FL vRS TSI i can get 40-44 on a run and mainly about 32-35 around town.

But remember the dash is inaccurate compared to properly working out the figures

dashboard read 33, and i worked it out mathematically to 33-34 mpg

Last month I went on a driving trip to the Swiss Alps in my petrol VRS. 2000 miles there and back and averaged just over 41mpg. I know a fair proportion of that was motorway driving, however quite a lot was also gunning it up the mountain passes and driving through towns. I was quite pleased with it. I can recommend such a trip - it made me enjoy my car even more than before.

I average low 20s there again i have lead boots, pretty dismal really but it is a big lump to be moving around.

Also most of my journeys are short stop starts does not really bother me personally if i wanted better miles per gallon would have bought a diesel or smaller car.

Well at least this is reassuring............sort of lol, maybe I should have bought another clio sport instead lol. I got 45mpg on a run and 38 average in that and it was quicker lol oh well remap and some better suspension will make me feel better haha

dashboard read 33, and i worked it out mathematically to 33-34 mpg

If your doing 33 on a long run i would suggest thats not right, as above on long runs most people above are getting 38 - 41. hmmmmmm

The older TFSI isn't quite as frugal as the newer TSI

My long term average was 35.6 but I could get low 40s BUT my commute was a 60mph A road with very little stopping and starting, so pretty much perfect for mpg.

It was not difficult at all to see this drop to 32mpg, just by it being a windy day.

what were you doing on the motorway. I got 35-37mpg at 70mph. Push that to 80mph and 33mpg it about right.

Also check tyre pressures and tyre type. I changed to Goodyear efficient grip and my mpg went up by about 5%.

Check your oil, my mpg dropping use to give me heads up that the oil had dropped.

Are you running it on super?

If I had to put in the supermarket crap 95RON petrol my mpg dropped by about 3. Car felt awful too.

Running mine on v-power made a world of difference to my MPG. I went to Bournemouth from Cornwall on cruse and managed 42 which I thought was pretty good. My commute for work is 14 miles and I get 30-32 on that which I think is pretty good.

Shell V-Power makes around 3mpg difference in my 2010 petrol vRS over normal 95 RON equivalent. Supermarket petrol is awful!  Goodyear Efficientgrip Performance tyres also help (and have really low road noise). Motorway driving at 74 mph indicated (70 mph real) gets between 42 and 45 mpg on the readout.  Commuting gets anywhere from 30 to 38 mpg depending on traffic conditions and whether I decide to have a bit of fun.

That's not far what I get in my 2.0CR around town and generally a run is 44-50 maybe more if I'm light footed (best ever was 57)