Is there a point in modifying my VRS when it's on 117k?

As people can probably see, I'm slowly modifying my Octavia mk1 vrs.

The car is on 117k miles ATM and I do around 15k a year

Is there much point in me doing mods like, front mount, exhaust, suspension, ko4 turbo and remap etc.... Plus a few little mods like gauges, wind deflectors and such like....

Is the engine too old?

Opinions would be welcome as long as sensible lol

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Engine is never too old.

Just maintain it well and do quality work. Be aware that on an older engine that may not have had the easiest life, asking components to work harder may reduce their life.

My vRS is on 100k now... and it's nicely modified. FMIC is on the list to do later on... I would say do what you want and go for it.

Then that's what I'm gonna do.

I do love my car and I want to actually create a more powerful engine and make it look nice.

I've always just bought cars, fast, slow, modified, but never actually started from scratch and modified it myself. The vrs is an awesome car tbh and seems easy to work on too.

Hell yeah there's a point! My mk2 Octavia vRS is on 116,000 miles; and going stage 2 revo soon (had a full turbo back exhaust fitted at the weekend: just under 116,000 miles). As long as you service it regularly; mine is serviced every 4,500 miles (oil and filter). If the turbo goes pop in the future I'll be going hybrid.

If I had the choice between a well looked after car on 120,000 miles or a neglected one on 60,000 miles; I'd go for the higher miles!

I didn't start modding mine until last year with 115K on the clock, I've owned the car for 10 years and had 9k when I bought it, plus has oil and filter change every 5k.

Now sitting with a full stage 2 set-up (map,fmic,tip, 200 cell cat etc) and I've had no issues at all, never put any oil/water in and still return's 40+ mpg on a run.

Not the most powerful stage 2 @ 228bhp but it's developing 280Lbft of torque from quite low down in the revs, no flat spots or poor idle issues.

I've just removed the 18's as the rubber band tyres were aggravating a permanent back injury I have, so now back to standard looking, so quite a sleeper! 

Only problem I did have was when it went from Stage 1 to 2 was the ECU locked everything down. Turns out that Revo security protect their maps to stop people copying them, so when Ant at AP Automotive tried to load the stage 2 it locked him out and put the car into limp mode (no boost what so ever  :swear: ), I ended up having a very slow drive to Midlands VW to have it unlocked and have the stage 2 map installed.

The car now flies and definitely put's a smile on my face (should know better as I'm in my 50's!).

Oh by the way that's not a criticism of Ant, he didn't know about the security thing on Revo maps and I would highly recommend his services  :thumbup: . 

• Like 1

"The car now flies and definitely put's a smile on my face (should know better as I'm in my 50's!)."

no worries, i'm in my very late 60's and so does mine put a smile on my face....gotta remember to grow up one day!!  :-)))

As people can probably see, I'm slowly modifying my Octavia mk1 vrs.

The car is on 117k miles ATM and I do around 15k a year

Is there much point in me doing mods like, front mount, exhaust, suspension, ko4 turbo and remap etc.... Plus a few little mods like gauges, wind deflectors and such like....

Is the engine too old?

Opinions would be welcome as long as sensible lol

There is never a mileage limit to modify just a case of is the motor in good nick and looked after to take the potential increase in punishment.

Mine is fast approaching 160k and gets driven well. On it's 4th re map and lot's of other mods 

I change oil every 4.5 k and look after it and it returns back the favour. :thumbup: 

Guys, thank you for the messages. I may annoy a few people on here with my various posts, but, at least I'm wanting to do things myself.

Can't wait to do more now! :-)