Clunk?

Im getting a large clunking noise coming from the drivers front side when i turn to the right.

This doesnt happen all of the time but is quite loud when it does. The majority of the time it clunks when under hard acceleration then breaking can cause the clunk or going over bumps at an angle can make it clunk too.

Could this be a ball joint as when i was changing front bushes last month i noticed the ball joint looked a bit tired. Can these cause this type of noise when fooked?

Thanks  :thumbup:

Sounds like a worn CV joint or driveshaft spline but could also be worn bushes on the front driver's side control arm.  If you jack the car up you can see the bushes and evaluate whether they're worn.  If you put the car in gear then grab the wheel, see if you can rock it. If there's movement on the spline where it goes into the wheel bearing, you'll soon tell. If you rock it side to side and try and rotate, you should be able to tell if there's slack in the CV joint.  Not a big job either way but if it is the CV joint, it can sometimes be cheaper to buy a whole reconditioned driveshaft than pay labour for replacing the CV joint.

• Like 1