Superb-which tyres?!

You should, I sold my superb with 23k miles on the F1 AS2's and the fronts still had 4.5mm and rear about 6mm iirc. I had a 4x4, so you'll get more wear on the fronts, but should still see a vast improvement over the previous Contis.

And I bought said Superb...  Can't fault Steve's choice of the Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetrics in the dry - very grippy and quiet.  However, I was out for the first time in heavy rain the other day, and wasn't quite so happy with them - felt a bit 'loose' a couple of times when hitting standing water, a bit like hitting a small patch of black ice.  

For any Superb Greenline drivers, I can recommend Dunlop Sport BluResponse tyres. I've just had a new pair fitted to replace a worn pair which, even after 50,000 miles, still had 2.5mm of tread remaining. The worn tyres were used on the rear axle for 30,000 miles, before being moved to the front axle where they covered another 20k miles.

Had an arguement with a curb yesterday (Thanks to another road user hogging most of the road!!!!), Anyway outcome was a punctured sidewall and a deflated rear tyre in less than 60 seconds!!! The tyre is a Goodyear EfficientGrip (Not performance version) along with the other rear tyre as looks like previous owner had them put on at same time and the pair of them don't look to be more than maybe 12-18 months old. So looking to get a straight replacement for the damaged one to keep a matching pair etc.... And that the EfficientGrips have got good rim protection compared to what people are saying about the performance version.

Been looking online to get some prices and surprised that not many places do the EfficientGrip compared to the EfficientGrip Performance.

So far only found two that do them, (Camskill - £94.95+postage & fitting and TyreLeader £99.79+postage & fitting). All the other places i've found only do the Performance version. So will have to call my local tyre place in the morning to see if they can get one and for how much.... And also make sure they get the normal version not the performance version.

Out of interest it's not something like the EfficientGrip Performance has replaced the EfficientGrip is it???? Hope not otherwise it means either getting two new tyres for the rear or having an odd pairing on the back as well as a different pairing on the fronts already.

Not bothered about the EGPs though as people have mentioned above that there is very little rim protection. I'd have been looking at an extremely damaged alloy as well as the new tyre if it hadn't have been for the far better rim protector on the EG.

I have found a local place that say they do the EG on their website and I have my local tyre place to try also in the morning.

Last resort will have to be replacing the other one too but it will go through me selling what is close to being a new tyre for what will be peanuts.

Well i spoke to my local tyre place today and the guy thinks he has managed to find a Goodyear EfficientGrip.... He can't be 100% but reckons it's not a newer Performance version. He's hoping to get it in tomorrow and he's happy for me to go round and have a look to check it is the right type before then fitting it or sending it back etc...

Fingers crossed he's right...... If not what are peoples opinions on the Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 2's??? And what's the rim protection like as it's what saved my alloy on the Goodyear EG that got damaged over the weekend. (Looking at the pics above of the Goodyear EGPs the rim protection is non existant on the 18" Elegance alloys).

Well called round to see the tyre guy and it was an EfficientGrip Performance that he'd got in. So looks like a case of a couple of new tyres for the back instead of one and then asking for the good one back and trying to get something for it either on here or on ebay.

Been speaking to my tyre man today and looks like they are having issues sourcing the Eagle F1 Assymmetric 2's in my size at present.... He also suggested either the Uniroyal RS3 at the same price (£110 fitted) or the Vredstein Ultrac Vorti for £90 fitted. Having looked on the tyre section it looks like the Vortis are well respected also. Having a think about it overnight and gonna call him in the morning with my choice.

Let me know how you get on as I am having 4 Uniroyal rainsport 3's fitted on Friday. They are currently £77 delivered per tyre on camskill for our size 225/40/18 Y with rim protection. May be use as a bit of a bargaining chip to get the price a bit lower.

Had the RS3s on the rears today. Paid £210 fitted for the pair.....They also checked one of my fronts which was setting off the TPM every four or five weeks and found some corrosion inside the alloy so cleaned that up and put the tyre back on etc.... that was all included in the £210 i paid for the RS3s though.

I did give the guy all the part numbers for him to replace the Skoda badges for the new style one's on the Fabia that he has got too though. :)

• Like 1

I've just had Bridgestone Potenza Adrenalin RE002s fitted today to replace the conti sports so will see how they perform.  They seem to have decent reviews and should be quieter that the contis.   €530 (that's around £420stg) fitted and tracked for 225/40/18s so not too bad I suppose.  I stuck with the 40s although I was debating moving to a higher sidewall because of excessive noise and poor handling since I bought the car however it recently became apparent to me that two of the tyres were feathered/sawtoothed and this was confirmed to me today along with huge misalignment at the rear!  This was despite a number of trips to another tyre fitter (and to a dealer) on previous occasions where they assured me the tyres were fine, so obviously a fault in the tyres from day one :devil:

BTW the price difference between the 40 and 45 profile was almost €70 a tyre as well which I was shocked at but its possibly due to lower demand for that size.

Looking forward to finally (hopefully!) having a quieter and better behaved L&K :)

Can I mix and match?

Got Contisport 2s on 18s and my fronts are gone.. rears are still good.

ShallI put Contisport 5s on the front or shall I go with something else?

The tyres have to match across each axle to pass MOT AFAIK, but can be different front and back. Generally it's a good idea to put the tyres with the deepest thread on the back to reduce the likelihood of spinning if you aquaplane, but I'd tend to stick the new tyres on the front for maybe 200 miles to get them to full grip quickly. A brand new tyre doesn't grip half as well as one that's seen a few hundred miles use. New tyres take a lot longer to get to full traction on the back as these wheels have very little work to do on 2WD cars.

Edited by psycholist
  • Like 1

I've just had Bridgestone Potenza Adrenalin RE002s fitted today to replace the conti sports so will see how they perform.  They seem to have decent reviews and should be quieter that the contis.   €530 (that's around £420stg) fitted and tracked for 225/40/18s so not too bad I suppose.

I hope that was for four!?

I hope that was for four!?

Yep full set and at my mileage level I will probably go through three sets in less than two years at that rate :sweat:   I could have got another couple of thousand kms on two of them but I just wanted them off the car!   It's like a totally different car now. The tyre fitters put 2.6 bar all round but I brought the pressures down to around 2.1 which is where I normally have them.

• Like 1

i just went from contisport 5's on 18's to bridgestone efficient grip performances today too (all round) and I have to say they are a lot quieter and a lot smoother (even with an XL rating) than the old tyres. 

so far, so good. 

t.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Need a new pair for the front! Superb come with some Kaiser kenda - cheap rubbish! shocking tyre in all conditions!

I just cant make my mind up, :sweat: as we have bad weather most of the time - rain and more rain. :rain:

Its between the Uni RS3 £67 or Vredestein Vorti £80, Cento £86 or Sessenta £70 ....or Contis5  £88 (www.Camskill.co.uk)

not much in them price wise, but dont want to buy the most expensive or cheapest and hope for the best, would appreciate your personal feedback from fellow SUPERB owners!

Im hoping I have the car for another year then trade up to the new 2015 shape MK3 Superb, esp. if theres any good deals to be had like on the black edition.  :notme:

But for now need a good set for my commuting around the midlands and enthusiastic driving at times with the lovely DSG 170 CR....