Getting Sick Of My Superb...

Getting a bit sick of it now. It has been a great car the last 2 years with unrivalled economy and running costs for its size. But now it's ****ing me off.

It's starting to fall to pieces and I'm thinking is it time to call it a day?

I took the preventative maintenance with the water coming in via the pollen filter area. But water has still found it's way in. Right now the issues are...

No number plate lights, these are well and truly rusted. Thus an MOT fail.

No levelling of headlights, both levelling systems seem to have failed, and they just point down not lighting up the road ahead. MOT fail.

Need a new ballast for one headlight as it's not working but it's not the bulb. MOT fail.

Clutch is starting to slip, made a terrible smell the other day after slipping a lot.

The central locking doesn't work all the time. And when it does the rear near side door doesn't always lock.

The parking sensors don't work.

Air con doesn't work despite a re-gas.

Headlight washers have stopped working, they come out, but don't spray? MOT fail.

The alloy wheels have corroded and are allowing air to escape. Meaning I have to pump them up every 5 days. PITA!

I've just paid to have the top arms done, ball joints and new shocks and a new spring. But I feel like there's really no point in throwing more getting the above done as so much is failing so fast now I don't see the point.

Thing is, the engine is absolutely excellent. And I don't fancy a new complicated DPF ridden diesel.

What do I do?

I can't really afford a new car either. I've spent all my money restoring my 1990 MX5, I didn't mind spending thousands on that as it's my toy, I love it and I'm passionate about it.

The Superb was meant to be a cheap commuter but it's not so cheap anymore :(

Edited by Alan16ac

Well, for me the way to not be annoyed with an ageing car is to fix faults as they appear, I doubt the long list of faults you posted has appeared overnight, I guess they are a result of years of ignoring them. Not judging, just stating the obvious, my father in law used to have similar attitude to car ownership, buying another one when the list of faults got long enough.

Considering the airco, the clutch, the central locking and the alloys, I'd be looking for a new car, this one is 12 years old after all. 

The only thing my Superb annoys with so far is the V71 flap motor, but so far recalibration cures it for a period of 1-2 years so I'm not replacing it until it dies completely. Everything else has been dealt with as it appeared, though the list was not long. But the car is "only" 8 years old.

Edited by dieselV6

The parking sensors haven't worked for years, and the air con didn't become apparent until the hot weather in July as I didn't really use it. The boot rust was apparent, but since last summer seems to have really taken over! Unbelievably so.

Everything else developed fairly recently.

I don't know why I'm asking here as I know the answer.

But I've really loved this car.... What to replace it with.

On the wheels matter; I thought mine were corroded beyond usefulness, but the place I most recently used for tires must have put a better sealant on and they have been fine since last change.  I know it is a small thing though in the list...

Golden rule - address VAG design faults before they bite you. Golden rule 2 - always avoid complications and go for a basic model. (I had the aluminium wheels removed from my car as a condition of sale - breaker's yards are full of perfect steel wheels, so why buy trouble?) Military and commercial vehicles use steel wheels.

The build design and to a lesser extent the build standard of "rubbish badge" VAG vehicles will not reliably support complexity. Even M-B have trouble with idiot fitments when they get to middle age. Some of the components fitted to higher spec "Superbs" eg. parking sensors are unbelievable rubbish.

The 1.9PD is a gem - pity they buggered up the later PD engines.

Get the right B5.5 and look after it - it will run for miles. You can't do this on a shoestring - and I'm still finding design faults. One day, I might write the proper servicing book... 

rotodiesel.

• Like 1

There is currently an edition 100 1.9 auto on ebay with 320,000 miles on it... though it has a list of faults which puts yours to shame... :0

On the wheels matter; I thought mine were corroded beyond usefulness, but the place I most recently used for tires must have put a better sealant on and they have been fine since last change. I know it is a small thing though in the list...

I did have them re-sealed by my local tyre place. It did help, but the issue is still apparent.

I'm not too bothered about the sensors to be honest. I've managed to park without them for 2 years. It's just one of those things that adds up...

Is it possible to replace xenon headlight units with halogen ones as they're not too expensive, but I imagine a xenon ones to be a lot!

I have found a boot lid on eBay, although not my colour... I have been checking for one in my colour, but none seem to come up.

It seems a shame to get rid given how much I've spent, and the fact that I can't think what I'd want instead! Other than another Superb.

hi Alan16ac

maybe stating the obvious here, but how about another Superb and bring one or the other up to your requirement using parts from the both cars, it would be hard to find a 12 year old car without any issues, or at least one thats for sale !!!! 

Design faults affect all cars of the same origin. For instance, the Audi A4 of the same vintage has most of the Superb's faults - we have one of these in the family. Unless you're very lucky, a similar vintage vehicle will have all the same faults. As has been said, a vehicle which has been properly cared for will not be for sale.

It takes far less effort to keep one vehicle in good order rather than cannibalise.

rotodiesel.

• Like 1

It seems there are a lot of VAG issues across the board. My first car, a MK4 Golf had water ingress twice! Engine went forever though. I, a few years later bought another MK4 Golf and this had the same issues.

Do I go Japanese instead? Haha. That said my MX5 hates water too!

I'm half thinking of just leasing a new car and change every 3 years. I'm beginning to think it may be cheaper.

It will only be cheaper if you are prepared to drive something small and frugal.  Anything Superb sized is going to cost pretty big I imagine...

• Like 1

It will only be cheaper if you are prepared to drive something small and frugal. Anything Superb sized is going to cost pretty big I imagine...

Yes this is true. I keep saying I could live with an Ibiza or a Fabia, but then I look at my Superb. And it's so big and comfy, and such a nice place to be. We have a Fabia VRS too, it's a great car. But too small in my opinion for long journeys.

I was half tempted by a Suzuki Swift, they're so cheap given the kit you get! Release the teen in me again. But I have the MX5 for that. Haha.

• Like 1

I have similar thoughts every so often; but when I work it out there isn't anything going to be cheaper than this devil I know pretty well now.  And certainly not as comfortable.

Apart from the fact that the Superb is definitely not a town car (and I didn't buy it for that job), when fitted with a 1.9PD engine it is more economical than a petrol Ford fiesta I once had. It also has very considerably better performance.

So, it's a bargain second hand if you get a good one (I did). Finding the right age to buy is tricky - too new and you pay for cliff-edge depreciation. Too old, and they have been comprehensively messed up by the dealers, and it's too late to fix water ingress, rusted pinch bolts, seized wiper spindles, rusty number plate lamp holes, fatigued door-post wiring and about a dozen other stupid things.

I reckon 2 years old is a good compromise - 1 year's worth of warranty, no significant dealer "attention" and new enough to sort out properly. It has worked very well for my Superb, and I'd do it again. 

What I may not do again is deal with VAG. Their standards of trading integrity do not match mine.

rotodiesel.

The levelling fault might just be a disconnected/failing axle load sensor.  Jack the car up and have a look.

In fact it's likely to be this.

Unlikely both light's motors failed at the same time.

Washer coming out but not spraying likely a cheap/free fix, drop the bumper, take the light out and have a look, 15 minute job.

I too have the central locking problem, sporadically, but I am thinking I can live with that for a while longer, nursing the car into high miles...

At some point you have to make a call the that unnecessarily throwing money at an old car is silly, but many repairs are low cost and are definitely worth it.

Others are pointless, like marks left on the bodywork by inconsiderate fellow drivers and dents, just not worth fixing on a 12 year old car.  But mechanically she is good as gold and hence reliable and dependable.

Well the headlight washers have fixed themselves. Sprayed the windscreen yesterday with the lights on, and saw them working again. So that's sorted itself.

I wouldn't know how to check for a failed axle load sensor though?

Any ideas what the central locking issue is though? It's getting irritating, is it likely to be the CCM?

CCM or associated wiring is certainly a possibility or another possibility could be a faulty door module or modules.

Given your list of symptoms, a vcds scan would really help you to narrow things down.

Well it never knows when the driver door is open. It doesn't appear on the maxidot when it's open, and the puddle light, and interior lights don't come on. But for the other 3 doors they do. Same for the boot, it doesn't appear on the maxidot when it's open, and the light doesn't come on.

I think the headlights are buggered, as the actual inside bit is loose. £700 for new ones! Searching breakers on eBay.

The door control modules are linked to the ccm by the comfort canbus. The canbus wiring is two wires, orange with brown stripe and orange with green stripe in a twisted pair configuration. Given you say you've had water ingress and the fact your boot lighting is also misbehaving it sounds very much like damage to the wiring harness on the passenger side. If it is the wiring it can be fixed as a diy task but it is time consuming.

If you can get your car vcds scanned - it'll really help you with the diagnosis.

My doors are intermittently not unlocking - relocating and unlocking sorts itself out most of the time.  WHen it gets stubborn I have to bang the door when I press the unlock key.  That does it.

Cracked low lead solder in the door locking modules.  They are not that expensive to buy but a PITA to replace!

Well, for me the way to not be annoyed with an ageing car is to fix faults as they appear, I doubt the long list of faults you posted has appeared overnight, I guess they are a result of years of ignoring them. Not judging, just stating the obvious, my father in law used to have similar attitude to car ownership, buying another one when the list of faults got long enough.

Considering the airco, the clutch, the central locking and the alloys, I'd be looking for a new car, this one is 12 years old after all. 

The only thing my Superb annoys with so far is the V71 flap motor, but so far recalibration cures it for a period of 1-2 years so I'm not replacing it until it dies completely. Everything else has been dealt with as it appeared, though the list was not long. But the car is "only" 8 years old.

i have to say im a bit disappointed with my skoda superb 07 plate 78.000 miles and it seems the oil pump and turbo need replacing at a cost of around £16,000

Getting a bit sick of it now. It has been a great car the last 2 years with unrivalled economy and running costs for its size. But now it's ****ing me off.

It's starting to fall to pieces and I'm thinking is it time to call it a day?

I took the preventative maintenance with the water coming in via the pollen filter area. But water has still found it's way in. Right now the issues are...

No number plate lights, these are well and truly rusted. Thus an MOT fail.

No levelling of headlights, both levelling systems seem to have failed, and they just point down not lighting up the road ahead. MOT fail.

Need a new ballast for one headlight as it's not working but it's not the bulb. MOT fail.

Clutch is starting to slip, made a terrible smell the other day after slipping a lot.

The central locking doesn't work all the time. And when it does the rear near side door doesn't always lock.

The parking sensors don't work.

Air con doesn't work despite a re-gas.

Headlight washers have stopped working, they come out, but don't spray? MOT fail.

The alloy wheels have corroded and are allowing air to escape. Meaning I have to pump them up every 5 days. PITA!

I've just paid to have the top arms done, ball joints and new shocks and a new spring. But I feel like there's really no point in throwing more getting the above done as so much is failing so fast now I don't see the point.

Thing is, the engine is absolutely excellent. And I don't fancy a new complicated DPF ridden diesel.

What do I do?

I can't really afford a new car either. I've spent all my money restoring my 1990 MX5, I didn't mind spending thousands on that as it's my toy, I love it and I'm passionate about it.

The Superb was meant to be a cheap commuter but it's not so cheap anymore :(

i love my superb but im also getting a bit peed off with it its been serviced regularly but today the oil presuure light came on and i had no power in the engine, had to call the green man to take me home ,seems its the oil pump and possibly    turbo .the car has only done 78,000 miles   its a 2007 late the last qoute i got was £1,600 i didnt really expect this to happen as diesel engines can cover over half a million miles ,must have got a friday car i think on monday