buying a mk1 octy estate

Hey guys

I'm looking at getting shot of my fabia when my insurance is due for renewal and buying a mk1 octy estate - looking at the 1.9 tdi engines as I'd like something with decent fuel economy and lots of space for mountain bikes etc. Plus, the extra power wouldn't go amiss ;)

I'll only have a budget of around a grand, can I get something reasonable for that, or am I just going to find sheds?

Any tips/things to look out for?

cheers!

I've got the 1.9TDi (90) ambient estate and it is quite happy to cruise on the motorways with the boot full and full of people and has enough grunt to pull away from some of the idiots in their BMW's and Mercs that think they own the road (shocked a few of them over the years) :rofl:  

Can do a run from London to the north east on half a tank for diesel too even with a heavy right foot  :giggle: 

• Like 1

For your bikes, try to find an Elegance model with the (sometimes optional, sometimes standard) flat floor. Loads of room for odds and ends under the three way fold flat floor and a doodle to slide in the bikes as the floor is level with the bottom of the tailgate opening.

For your bikes, try to find an Elegance model with the (sometimes optional, sometimes standard) flat floor. Loads of room for odds and ends under the three way fold flat floor and a doodle to slide in the bikes as the floor is level with the bottom of the tailgate opening.

Ah I didn't know this, cheers for the heads up!

The space is great and it all depends what engine you go for I know you said 1.9 but I mean power wise if it's a 90 100 110 115 130 150

To be honest, any are going to be better than my fabia (69hp), and they're all going to be more economical. I'd probably not get anything more than 110 though, for insurance reasons. It'll only be my second year of driving.

I've got the 1.9TDi (90) ambient estate and it is quite happy to cruise on the motorways with the boot full and full of people and has enough grunt to pull away from some of the idiots in their BMW's and Mercs that think they own the road (shocked a few of them over the years)  :rofl:  

Can do a run from London to the north east on half a tank for diesel too even with a heavy right foot   :giggle: 

that's what I like to hear!

Edited by samj2013

On a run I can average about 60mpg with a lead foot or even up to about 68mpg sticking top the limit

Get about 40 - 45mpg around town even with some quick accelerating to the speed limit  :notme:

That's pretty good! Most I've gotten out of my fabia was 35mpg driving like an old man on the motorway. A recent 1100 mile round trip to scotland with 2 bikes on the rack yielded 27mpg. Ouch.

Strange question, but has anyone tried sleeping in the back of their octy estate?? I had been thinking of buying a van-derived car, a berlingo multispace or something, taking the back seats out and using it to sleep in whilst on mountain biking trips etc. but I think it'll still be a bit small. That and I'd quite like to stick with Skoda because the engines and general build quality will be a lot better, and I've found Briskoda to be an awesome community for support when things go wrong etc.! Not many other brands of car have it so good!

Edited by samj2013

not slept in the back yet but with the seats down you do have plenty of room - probably a bit more than the citreon berlingo, Renault kangoo and pergeout equivalent has but it all depends on how tall you are as to how comfortable it would be  :notme: