Unconfident Weak Brakes

rajsta

I originally had all my braking system renewed due to the brakes feeling weak.

All Genuine New parts fitted were - 

4x Calipers.

4x Discs.

4x Pads.

Servo.

Master cylinder.

Flexy Hoses.

Brake fluid.

But the problem is, that they STILL feel weak!

Ive had the system re-bled, Calipers adjustment checked, All brake lines checked for leaks but its still the same.  its a feeling like there's air in the system, but there isn't.

Here's how i can explain it.....  

I press the brake pedal and can hear the pads engage the discs, BUT for any braking effect to happen im having to push the pedal almost all the way to the bottom, and even then im having to press it firmly to feel confident that the car will stop.

Does anyone have Any idea as to what the heck is going on?

The only thing i can possibly think of, and this is just a thought....

Do servos need setting up? i say this as they have a threaded rod coming out of them which can be shorten or lengthened which leads me to believe that they must be adjustable? may to get the correct feel? or vacuum?     so would incorrect adjustment of this rod cause an issue with brake pedal feel.?

I don't think you can bleed Mk1 Superb's unit with VCDS, it is an earlier design than Octy2/Superb2 units.

I'd just go along the pipework again and bleed every connection there is. There must be air somewhere. Either this or a dodgy servo, as you have already suspected.

I don't think you can bleed Mk1 Superb's unit with VCDS, it is an earlier design than Octy2/Superb2 units.

I'd just go along the pipework again and bleed every connection there is. There must be air somewhere. Either this or a dodgy servo, as you have already suspected.

You do the same for the mkI Octavia

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

From the Ross-Tech Wiki, how to bleed the ABS pump in older VAG group cars.

Procedure for Bleeding the ABS Brake Pump in many older VW Golf, GTI, Jetta, and Audi TT with Mk20 or Mk60:

There are certain test conditions that must be met before doing this procedure:

Vehicle must on a lift or safe jack stands with no wheels touching the ground

Ignition should be in the "On" position

[select]

[03 - ABS Brakes]

[basic Settings - 04]

Group 001 (may be group 002 in Mk3 VW Golf/Jetta)

[Go!]

This will trigger the ABS pump to turn on for about 10 seconds. You should hear the fairly loud pump clicking during this time.

Click the [Done, Go Back] button and you're all set.

• Like 1

2002 Mk1 1.9 TDI 110 ASV did not, my superb (2006 2.5TDI BDG) also does not have it. At least I could not hear anything when trying these.

Edit: unless wheels off the ground somehow make any difference. Might try it out the next time I change brake fluid (2016)

Edited by dieselV6