Reversing light not working

ev9219

Hello all,

The reversing light for my mk1 1.4mpi has stopped working. I replaced the bulbs and fuse; still no luck. There are no warning lights on my dashboard either. Would this be a sensor problem?, I haven't had a chance to check it yet.

Regards.

I had this recently, it was caused by a wire breaking off from the reverse gear sensor on the gearbox.

Thats where id look first. 

Yes, either that or a failed reversing light switch on the gearbox.

If its both lights then could be the Brake Light switch under the dash, simple easy job to get done too if it is, only around £5 for the part and should take 10 mins to fit

Brake light switch has nothing to do with the reversing lights.

This happened to me last year! like said above the reversing light switch on the side of the gearbox is most likely the cause, common on fabias. You can get to it easily if you jack up the front of the car, its the contact in the switch that gets worn. Really easy fix, unplug switch, using spanner undo switch (may get a small amount of oil leak out), screw in new switch, plug wiring back in. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v3SJB_-hsQ8

This isnt the best video but shows what you need to see to locate it easily  :)

Just skip to about 40 secs and it gets to the bit you need to see, all the best with sorting it

James

• 2 weeks later...

Gents, Thanks for your suggestions.

Finally managed to get under the car today and it seems the cable connecting the sensor was disconnecting. The female connector that plugs into the sensor has also come off exposing the wires.

does anyone know the technical name for this connector? if I can get one of ebay, hopefully I'll be able to fix it?

Thank you

I obtained the following of E-Bay and spliced and soldered the required piece into the loom.

My link

Thanks for your reply. I managed get the part you mentioned of eBay. 0

On my car, the two wires exposed were red and blue. if it was the same on you car , would you be able to tell me which wire i should connect to the '1' and '2' wires of the connector.

Cheers.

Thanks for your reply. I managed get the part you mentioned of eBay. 0

On my car, the two wires exposed were red and blue. if it was the same on you car , would you be able to tell me which wire i should connect to the '1' and '2' wires of the connector.

Cheers.

It shouldn't matter as it's just a switch making a contact, it'll do the same whichever way round you join them

Sent from Richies iPad

Cheers.

Had a look at mine for you. Don't know if yours has the same colour wires but mine is...

1 = Black and red

2 = Black and blue

Spent some time this afternoon splicing the wires together and plugging it in only to find out that one of the pins inside the sensor is broken. Ohhh dear. 

The sensors on ebay are about £15, will it be an easy job?

Once again gents thank you for your help.