MDI annoyance - draining iPod battery

OK, I curious to know if this is a unique or common issue.

I have a slightly battered but fully functional 160GD iPod Classic, specifically for my new 2014 FL Estate, which has the factory MDI fitted. Picked the car up on Friday and the iPod would have been fully charged when it was plugged in. Since then, I have driven the car a bit, including quite a bit yesterday, so the ignition has been on for some of the last 3.5 days.

I works perfectly, but on disconnecting to bring it it to sync some new playlists, I noted that the iPod battery was significantly down on power.

I had assumed that the iPod would either be permanently on charge, given that the Superb audio and power outlet circuits are helpfully 'active' without the ignition on. That said, even if it only charged when the Columbus was powered, I would have expected this more than enough to keep the battery topped up as the iPod is 'sleeping' and I have even turned the backlight off completely.

It would appear that the MDI connection is allowing drain when the audio is not in use.

I don't know if the 2 hrs per day of my normal commute will be enough to keep it working, as a totally flat iPod has to charge for a while before it can be used, it looks like I may have to disconnect the MDI overnight.

I know this isn't exactly a deal-breaker, but it's not the 'fit-n-forget' arrangement I was hoping for.

Has anyone else experienced this issue? 

Eliminate the chance of it being the iPod battery itself, then search the net for other people having issues with older iPod Classics.

It's not unheard if for them to not charge up, but I'm not sure why or what the solution is.

Try this for starters: http://www.my-gti.com/3009/volkswagen-media-device-interface-mdi-firmware-upgrade-0111-kw22-2011

Then look at the latest firmware updates for MDI on the same site. There might be one that fixes the issue, but I don't know.

Yep, I've checked the iPod and it holds charge fine. Also this is a current model Classic, so it's not that either.

Going to keep and eye over the next week and also test using a Nano to see what that does.

I used a small hard drive (60Gb) permenantly attached via MDI cable and this worked faultlessly, but I did notice that it seemed to run for some time after the ignition switched off (and TBH always ran a bit warm in the cubby). Does the MDI set up for Ipod do this as well?

I changed to a 64Gb pen drive and this really is fit and forget

This is on a 2013 just pre F/L Elegance

I have exactly the same issue on my 2013 pre FL.

I have a 4th Gen iPod Nano, and after being left plugged into the MDI for anything from a few minutes to a few hours, its' battery can be flattened

It definitely charges OK - but I cannot leave it plugged in to the MDI if I am going to leave the car parked up

Did he MDI cable for the iPod come with the new vehicle or did you source it elsewhere?   I've a Superb on order and plan to use an iPod Classic 120gb via the same configuration. My order includes the MDI upgrade so I'll watch this thread with interest as I don't really want to be unplugging the upgrade each time.  I'm watching a couple of MDI cables for the iPod/Iphone on ebay at the moment and will purchase closer to when my Superb is ready.

Best of luck and hope you get it sorted.

OK so for the benefit of others (hopefully), the MDI cable, while not from the dealer, is definitely a VAG original item. I actually have two as I ordered one and misplaced it, but have now found it again. Issue remains the same with either.

It does look like a problem with the MDI interface itself to be honest. It's fine if you use a USB powered device like a USB stick or small HD, but if you have a device with it's own battery, it's clearly leaving something connected when the ignition is off, but unfortunately NOT the power.

Basically if you leave the MDI connected with the ignition off, your iPod will go flat, so unless there is a fix known, or on the way, unplugging the iPod seems the only solution, which is a bit of a pain.

I've had my 160GB Classic unplugged on my desk all day and night and as expect, it has not lost any visible charge, so it's defo the MDI causing the issue.

I'm just popping out to check the Nano which was connected overnight and fully charged when I left it......

Right, confirmed problem because the Nano was dead as a Dodo, so it looks (annoyingly) like the MDI is not designed for an iPod to be left permanently connected, which is a bit of a pain.

I'm going to contact Skoda UK to see if they are aware and if there is any solution.

Any device left switched on will drain the battery.

I presume that the iPod is losing its charge significantly quicker than it being left on and not plugged in!

Have you tried updating the MDI firmware?

I leave my ipod (nano?) plugged permanently plugged into my Toyota, and it powers on/off with the stereo. The ipod screen says something like "connected to car" and doesn't allow you to control the ipod itself, ie you must use the car's touch screen stereo. I use a genuine Apple lead to the car USB.

Surely Skoda have thought of this, maybe it's just a setting?

Any device left switched on will drain the battery.

I presume that the iPod is losing its charge significancy quicker than it being left on and not plugged in!

Exactly that. Charged but unused iPod will lose minimal charge in 24 hours, but left attached to the MDI it will be very significantly drained in the same period. So much so in fact that a fully charged Nano went totally flat over night.

Also my car was only built at the start of July, so I'm doubting this is a firmware issue. 

If it is that new, could you go back to the dealer with a query under warranty?

It may be a known generic issue or a specific problem with your car / iPod.

Yeah it's not charged when the car is off.  The power is controlled by the MDI unit which is connected to the CAN bus and therefore knows when the car is off.  The MDI does signal the iPod to turn off, or at least 'pause' which should then cause the iPod to turn itself off after a timeout but sometimes this doesn't seem to work.

I have a iPod classic in mine too and it regularly goes flat.  It's not an issue for me as it never leaves the car and I've started using Spotify on my phone more and more now (which means I don't have to use the turd that is iTunes anymore).

I have iPod Classic 80gb that must be around 6-8 years old running the latest Apple firmware and believe it or not mine stays fully charged !! I can leave it in the car plugged in overnight and then take in house and battery is full.

However, and there is always a but,

Most annoyingly 9 times out of 10 when the car is switched off and then restarted Columbus will not re find the iPod ! iPod is showing full battery and is on ok, I have to remove the iPod from the MDI lead and re connect and then all is fine. Its been back to dealers for investigation and they have replaced MDI lead but did not cure fault - dealer blamed my iPod for not having most up to date firmware - which it does.

I'm just wondering if the two could be connected - everyone seems to experience battery drain - I don't, everyones iPod is reconnected automatically - mine is not.

Interesting !

I thought it was just mine. My nano often loses charge and quite often the car "loses" the ipod and I find I have to disconnect and then reconnect the Nano to make it work. Interestingly my wifes Golf, same age, same style of MIDI lead etc has no problem with her mark 1 Ipod Nano. Could it be a head unit problem? I currently have a Bolero fitted to 2012 Octavia.

So I got a callback from Skoda UK about the web enquiry I made about this topic.

In summary, they are aware of the issue, but having investigated, it seems this is 'normal behaviour' - i.e. not a fault as such, just annoying.

It seems the power connection and management of the MDI connection is hardwired, rather than something which can be fixed by a firmware update, so disconnecting is going to have to a daily event.

Having Googled 'MDI drains iPod', it seems the same quirk has been reported by 2013 Passat owners in the USA, so this clearly isn't a Skoda specific weirdness. Also owners of older VWs have said the MDI doesn't do this, so seems like it's related to later model head units.... Which is nice.

Clearly the DIY solution would be to hijack the 5volt positive feed to the MDI loom at the head unit end and connect a 12v to 5v regulator, then connect this to the permanent live on the 12v power socket.

The 12v to 5v regulator I have. What I don't have is the MDI wiring diagram for the back of the Columbus.....

So having established that the MDI charging weirdness 'is what it is', I've decided on a simple compromise to at least make it slightly less annoying.

I've  one of these to the bottom of the arm-rest cubby with Velcro and connected the MDI cable to the dock.  This at least makes plugging and unplugging the iPod much easier, as it is vertical and makes it less awkward, given the hid of the storage box gets in the way. 

$_12.JPG

• 1 month later...

OK, for everyone's benefit, I *may* have discovered a solution.

By chance, one day I happened to switch over the radio from the MDI input before I switched off the radio and ignition.

I forgot to unplug the iPod from the MDI but when I returned and switched on 2 days later the iPod still seemed nearly fully charged.

I'm testing to check, but it seems that switching input before switching off stops whatever was causing the drain.