DRL/switchback wiring help

Guys

I'm new to the forum so please go easy on me :)

I'm looking at fitting some DRL/switchback led strips inside my headlight cluster.

However I'm stuck on how I would go about wiring them up? Any ideas?

Thanks

Sam

Ps

I know there's numerous opinions about aftermarket drls... But I'm just toying with ideas at the moment

Your best bet would be to get a DRL controller. Something like this:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DRL-LED-Daytime-Running-Light-Relay-Harness-Auto-Car-Control-DIMINISH-12V-A014-/390687136564?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item5af6c49b34#ht_2848wt_1399

Then this would wire up to a switched live, headlight wire (live when headlights on) and an earth.

This then means they comply with EU regulations (on when ignition on and turn off when headlights switch on).

Phil

Hi Sam,

You are right on the aftermarket LED's, they divide opinion! In all of the 'add-on' LED's I've seen, especially those that take the form of a flexible tube of LED's that can be shaped to follow the line of the cars headlight they are often woefully underpowered.

You can buy new aftermarket headlights with them already incorporated...

http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/2011-Skoda-Octavia-Headlights-Assembly-With-LED-Angel-eyes/217602_915070824.html

Or better still (only in my opinion) fit a decent set of branded DRL's (Philips) down near the front foglights...

http://www.philips.co.uk/c-p/12825WLEDX1/led-daytime-lights-drl-12-v

My preferred route (as you have an Elegance with front fog lights) would be to use VCDS to set the front fog lights to perform the role of DRL's (they can be adjusted to reduce their brightness). This requires no wiring or physical modifications and they will work exactly as DRL's do on the latest models (automatically turn off when side or dipped headlights are turned on).

My preferred route (as you have an Elegance with front fog lights) would be to use VCDS to set the front fog lights to perform the role of DRL's (they can be adjusted to reduce their brightness). This requires no wiring or physical modifications and they will work exactly as DRL's do on the latest models (automatically turn off when side or dipped headlights are turned on).

I've done this. You can even then increase/decrease the brightness of the bulbs.

I can even do this in Maxidot thanks to my Polar FIS+.

Phil

Just been out to try this on my VRS and I have the correct boxes to tick, but now it come up with another box I'm not sure about, asking 3 questions, do you want this or this or cancel, has anybody else come across this, downloaded the latest software this morning V 12.12.3, may have something to do with that?

One of the questions relates to the coding of the controller, but I can tick and untick it, don't want to say yes do it just in case it buggers it up!!!.

Trev

I've got the module that controls turning it off when the full beams come on... But then I need a way to wire it up to a ignition live,, I read somewhere about splicing it to a headlight wire?

I'm not very technically minded and I'm learning as I go :(

Have you got a multimeter?

It's a must really for doing anything electrical.

There should be a switched live to the headlights. I believe it is the black wire but this is where the multimeter comes in. Test it with ignition off, ignition on and headlights on to make sure it definitely is a switch live.

You're not going to be drawing a lot of power so this will be fine. I would also suggest fitting an inline fuse on your live if it doesn't already come with one. Always best practice when adding new electrical items for them to be seperately fused as the fuse on the circuit you're tapping into is a much higher rating so in the even of a fault with your new circuit the fuse may not blow quick enough. You should use just a small 5 amp fuse.

Phil

Edited by Phil-E

Okay I'm really stumped?...

I've got all the inital wiring sorted to the drl,

But from reading this threat

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/167065-drl-fitted-working-tutorial/?p=2035806&fromsearch=1

I cannot work out where on my fuse box to find an ignition live to power the drl when the ignition is on.

This is what I've got fuse box wise? Any ideas anyone

I've tried with the multimeter to locate it but can't :(

post-120004-0-50974000-1409666136_thumb.jpg

I would advise using the fuse box in the dash (behind the cover which is visible with the door open). Loads of switched lives there and a couple of empty slots you can use for a dedicated feed if you prefer. You can run the wire down the wing to the engine bay.

I prefer a dedicated feed and that was not (as far as I could see) available in the engine bay when I did mine. Nor could I find a switched live.