Engine Light, coil light, dpf light all on

I drive a 2008 2.0 tdi Vrs PD. I Had this problem a month ago. I took the egr valve off and cleaned it all. Everything has been fine since.

However today whilst driving the in laws to the airport after my wedding, the lights came on and went into 'limp' mode. They missed their flights unfortunately.

Anyway, I managed to get the car to a garage and 2 faults came up;

05735 - PD unit injector cylinder 2 electrical malfunction P1667 short with power intermittent

08194 particulate trap 1 efficency below threshold P2002 short with power

They cleared the fault then turned the car back on. The coil light came straight back on, the plugged in the machine again and fault 08194 was present.

The car is still in 'limp' mode.

any ideas on what to fix/replace first?

Thank in advance

Has your car had the injectors replaced under the VOSA recall?

Did all three lights come on at once or were you driving for some distance with only the DPF light illuminated?

I have no idea, I have only had this car just over 1 month and nothing in the history I have to show this. Its an ex police car so I would have thought so? The DPF light came on yesterday and has been on since. I did have this shortly after getting the car but I used some dpf cleaner you put in the diesel and it went off until now.

Check in the boot next to the spare wheel...

Campaign number 23J7...
InjectorRecallCampaignNumber_zpsd4f3e9a0

If DPF cleaner cured the fault for a short while then the DPF is likely shot.

This is confirmed if you are getting the EML and glowplug lights very soon after the DPF light appears.

The DPF works by burning off the soot it traps, the outcome of the regeneration process is ash. On high mileage cars (such as ex-Police) it is likely the DPF is full to capacity of ash which is preventing it from working properly. 

You have three options...

1) Professional DPF removal and mapping out of the sensors. This may have issues come MOT time and with your insurance. Lots and lots of threads on here with opinion divided as to the legalities of it all, however there are plenty of vRS's out there with their DPF's successfully removed. Well respected outlets (such as Shark) also continue to offer this service for around £450.

2) Have the DPF professionally cleaned. Not as popular and it's long term effectiveness is questionable. Around £250.

3) Fit a new DPF. Upwards of £1,200 so not a viable option on older vRS's.

Ideally you need to get the car plugged in with someone who knows how to read the ash content of the DPF. This will allow you to confirm it is the DPF at fault.

Without turning this into yet another 'should / should not' remove the DPF thread there is a lot of genuine information on the web (including this forum) but also a lot of scaremongering too.

There are lots cars out there with their DPF's removed that continue to pass their MOT tests and with valid insurance.

This doesn't however make it legal, or morally right etc.

We all need to make our own decisions in life, including the best course of action regarding a failed £1,200 DPF on a £3,000 car.

Do your research would be my advice and don't take everyting you read online to be gospel.

If injector fails, those 'problematic' ones (manufactured by Siemens), in 99% car wil immediately stop, engine off with message on maxi dot "Engine error". Even if you drove your car (like on Full speed at highway) it can easy with no pre-warning message/sign turn of.

This happened to me, while driving, very near to my home, but still I need to use s towing setvice and activate mobile insurance to tow it to main dealer.

There, they found put a one only injector as bad and even try to charge me for big sum for repair. But I have persist they should wrote a letter to Skoda CZ and ask for full cover of cost by them, abd the have accept that (after the nattle with me...). So xar back then repaired and then I got a 'Tip' from a friend about 'silent campaign' for the 'known problematic injectors' on a 2.0 TDI engines. So back again and they check that other three are 'Siemens ones' and order needed parts for me and boom me a date. No costs for me...

Remaining injectors changed, and...all Ok.

Except....as I discover later on, they put in car used rafurbished Continental injectors (in part number of them a letters TX at the end mark them)... (service guy show me physical and ecplain...)

And...no warranty on them (or first injector also fitted), like, this is 'free' gift and if fails again...buy new ones...

So...TX = --> REFURBISHED (Continental)

• Like 1

Ok my local garage tried a few switches. The exhaust gas pressure switch takes the car out of limp mode when disconnected and the car drives fine, but still with the DPF light on. They have suggested replacing that before going ahead with a new DPF. Is this worth doing?

Ok my local garage tried a few switches. The exhaust gas pressure switch takes the car out of limp mode when disconnected and the car drives fine, but still with the DPF light on. They have suggested replacing that before going ahead with a new DPF. Is this worth doing?

Exhaust gas pressure switch changed on my vRS but under waranty...this part can fail... Failed recently on my friends vRS CR (MY2010)... Try to find it as spare on eBay.

Problem with this pressure swith is, if it meassures wrong value due to failed state (too high or too low mbar), car 'would think that the regeneration time is come and run it, over and over again...or in other cases....it wil not...and DPF can be easy fullfilled....bad ...

But try to go to local Skoda dealer garage and ask them to try 'forced- regeneration of DPF, as they for sure have proper tools and diagnostic for that. Prior that you go for change of DPF...

Yes, the G450 sensor is a very well documented weakness on the PD170.

If the G450 sensor is faulty it won't allow the DPF to perform a regeneration. Over time this means the DPF fills with soot without being able to clear itself - hence the DPF light.

If replacing the G450 gets the car out of limp-home mode then you need to take it straight out for a good motorway run in 4th gear, either that or ensure the garage replacing (and coding the new sensor) perform a forced regen straight away. 

Run it between 2.000 - 2.500 rpm...but if regeneeation donnt want to start then forced regen is needed.

In iddle, if your rpm's are at 1000 at this moment then a regeneration is allready started and go on open road...4th and 2-2.5t rpms...

And...do not recommend to go on long trips if you run your car with this sensor switch disconnected...you will allways get yellow light and a regen running....and that is no good.

If you have 100% confirmation that this sensor is faulty (in this case it sounds like), change it prior changing other parts...

• Like 1

It worked! new exhaust pressure sensor fitted! Was a little nervous at first as the light was still on but after running a manual regen its all cleared. The comp said I had 0% build up in the DPF. So I'm pretty happy.

• Like 1

Thanks for all your help! This is why I highly rate car forums! Can save you £££'s from the knowledge of owners. I believe that without this kind of help, I would have spent a fortune until it was resolved.

• Like 1