preventative maintenance

rv125

Greetings everybody I am the proud new owner of a 2006 2.5 diesel superb I've only had it a week bought it from an old man with no mot, one owner from new 40,000 miles genuine.Went straight through the MOT with two advisories on brake pads

Spent some time reading the forum and have already done the following

removed and resealed the plenum chamber Removed the rubber grommets Under the battery tray and brake servo

Fitted new outer CV boots both sides

removed the front suspension top bolts greased them well

the car appears to be dry everywhere inside I must be lucky

Is there any other immediate preventative maintenance I can do the MOT tester said I needed to replace the back brake pads in the next thousand miles do I need a special tool to do this. Apologies if these have been mentioned elsewhere but I'm still finding my way round

thank you

Clive

• Like 1

Hi Clive, welcome,

The rear brake caliper pistons have to be wound back, ideally with an appropriate tool. I got a set similar to this a few years ago, and it includes both left and right handed thread wind back tools and adapters for most cars:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BRAKE-PISTON-REWIND-CALIPER-WIND-BACK-TOOL-KIT-22-PCS-21PCS-34PCS-/251057931956?pt=UK_Hand_Tools_Equipment&hash=item3a743806b4

Have a browse on eBay etc, the above is just the first one I spotted.

The Superb rear brakes need a right hand threaded tool from memory.

0wl

• Like 1

You removed the plenum chamber????? That seems a bit excessive  :giggle:

Hello Clive - sounds like a good buy.

Gaz

• Like 1