How Safe is a Skoda Vehicle after a Motor Vehicle Collision (Accident)

Hello Everyone, A newspaper article here in Australia has quoted a professor as saying "If everyone drove a Mercedes Benz or another fully imported luxury car, there would be less accidents on Australian Roads".  I'm interested to hear from Skoda owners about thier experiences with having a collision in a Skoda. 1. Did the vehicle save your life? 2. Did the air bags deploy? 3. Did the anti Skid system work?. 4. Did the vehicle handle the way you expected it to?

I'd also be interested in seeing some photos of your vehicle after the collision (if you have them) I don't want any gory photos. I just want to see how the crumple zones worked. Do you think Skoda is a safe vehicle. How does it compare to other European cars? Do Skoda spend money on making cars safe like other Euro manufacturers?

All comments welcome

Edited by Shakey063

Hello Everyone, A newspaper article here in Australia has quoted a professor as saying "If everyone drove a Mercedes Benz... there would be less accidents on Australian Roads".  

That would be because they break down every 200 metres and dissolve if they get wet which means no one would be on the roads.  :notme:

Our problem is not the safety features of our vehicles, it's the low standard of training, lack of re-testing and suicidal smartphone-using pedestrians.

I don't understand why you require information on if the vehicle saved a life, crash pictures and if the airbags went off.

The quote was "If everyone drove a Mercedes Benz or another fully imported luxury car, there would be less accidents on Australian Roads"

An accident (or collision generally as accidents are usually someone's fault) is down to the lack of ability to avoid striking another vehicle.

So things that help avoid the crash in the first place are far more important.  Like a collision detection system that auto brakes, stability control, ABS etc...

If the quote was "less people would die in accidents" then I'd understand.

• Like 2

Use with care;  EuroKneecap (sic) arbitrarily downgrade the crash protection offered by vehicles tested to earlier standards whenever they uprate their standards, so the only valid comparisons are between vehicles tested to the same standard.

The Americans proved in the sixties that the more safety features in cars leads to drivers taking more risks. 

I can't see that accidents will go down if everyone drives a Merc, but injuries might be reduced though.

I don't understand why you require information on if the vehicle saved a life, crash pictures and if the airbags went off.

The quote was "If everyone drove a Mercedes Benz or another fully imported luxury car, there would be less accidents on Australian Roads"

An accident (or collision generally as accidents are usually someone's fault) is down to the lack of ability to avoid striking another vehicle.

So things that help avoid the crash in the first place are far more important.  Like a collision detection system that auto brakes, stability control, ABS etc...

If the quote was "less people would die in accidents" then I'd understand.

Boss Fox,   Don't read too much into this big boy. It's a Forum....and I've posted one. I actually think that's what it's all about. We don't have too many Skoda's here in Australia and I'd even doubt there'd be any involved in serious accidents. I  just want to see how they compare or stand up against other known brands.

I'm not here to take your birthday off you or have a fling with ya misses. So relax. If you have anything constructive to add to this post...knock ya socks off.  

• Like 1

"If everyone drove a Mercedes Benz or another fully imported luxury car, there would be less accidents on Australian Roads". 

If Mr Professor doesn't know the difference between less and fewer I'm not going to pay much attention to his conclusions.

Boss Fox,   Don't read too much into this big boy. It's a Forum....and I've posted one. I actually think that's what it's all about. We don't have too many Skoda's here in Australia and I'd even doubt there'd be any involved in serious accidents. I  just want to see how they compare or stand up against other known brands.

I'm not here to take your birthday off you or have a fling with ya misses. So relax. If you have anything constructive to add to this post...knock ya socks off.  

Thank you for your reply and it's tone.  Quite amusing.

I was merely pointing out the difference between car being able to prevent accidents and looking at how well they stand up to accidents.

Two completely different things.

Always nice to see people that can discuss things on a forum without resorting to being childish.

• Like 4

20140117_090732_zpsf53ca94b.jpg

20140117_090739_zpseedbea44.jpg

20140117_091004_zps0264ae8c.jpg

1. Did the vehicle save your life?

• I guess so; had I been walking down the road and the woman hit me in the head with her land rover i'd probably be dead

2. Did the air bags deploy?

• no but as you can see it was side impact so i wouldn't expect them to. Her's did though!

3. Did the anti Skid system work?

• no but she pulled out into the side of me as i drove past so i didn't have time to hit the brakes

4. Did the vehicle handle the way you expected it to?

• yes it went bang, thunk, crunch and nobody was harmed
  • Like 3

That would be because they break down every 200 metres and dissolve if they get wet which means no one would be on the roads.  :notme:

Our problem is not the safety features of our vehicles, it's the low standard of training, lack of re-testing and suicidal smartphone-using pedestrians.

and suicidal smartphone-using drivers too!

• Like 1

The Americans proved in the sixties that the more safety features in cars leads to drivers taking more risks. 

Yes - the best safety feature would be a large spike on the steering wheel pointed at the drivers chest.  Boy would that make you slow down!

• Like 2

Including lots in Mercs who seemingly refuse to use the expensive Bluetooth systems fitted! Of course plenty of Skoda drivers do it as well but just making the point that having the most sophisticated equipment fitted to a €100k+ S-class or equivalent doesn't necessarily make it safe.....if anything it can lull someone into a false sense of security

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was passed on The M6 by a guy holding a phone and making notes on a pad resting on the steering wheel  :devil:

Skodas are built to the same or possibly higher standards (Based on Skodas mostly being more reliable in consumer tests than equivalent VW/Audi group cars) than other cars in the VW group, They're all made from the same parts incidentally - just about everything under the bonnet on a Skoda has a VW or Audi logo on it. This means they're as safe as other cars from the VW group or safer for the money.

My parents were hit in the front corner of their Mark I Octavia at 90 degrees by another driver. They were stopped. The airbags went off and they walked out of the crash without anything more than muscle pain - the car was a write off even though it was only a year or two old though that was more because they were in France and the shipping cost back pushed it over than because the car wasn't repairable. 

Same story for another Mark I octy I was driving. I lost grip at low speed half way around a bend thanks to a diesel spill, took it from lock to lock thee times trying to keep it straight but eventually rolled into the ditch. No airbag deployed, no injuries. 

A colleague in work's brother was hit by an Octavia II a couple of years back. He was in a Toyota Landcruiser. The Landcruiser was stopped and the other driver didn't see it in glare from a low sun, so very little braking before he hit. He crumpled the back of the Landcruiser enough to bend the back axle on it, drove it forward a car length or so and left the Landcruiser with the front wheels off the ground on a gate post. Airbag went off in the Skoda, driver walked out of it without serious injuries. The guy in the Landcruiser was luckily wearing his seatbelt and had a bit of burn from that and some whiplash. 

So based on a very small set of data points from 15 years of Skoda ownership, Skodas are put together pretty well. The lower price doesn't appear to mean any compromise on crash safety (Unlike the Dacia brand for example), so the idea that a very expensive car is safer is in people's heads far more than in the data - once you correct for heavy cars being safer... 

• Like 1

That Land Cruiser folding up like that is good, it shows the metal absorbed the impact reducing the impact on the occupants, the more it folds without the cell deforming the better the job the engineers have done and lets face it nobody really wants a repaired car back anyway, soon the days of rebuilding in a new shell will be upon us rather than a new wing so cars smashed where two panels are as one and hard to replace without a blow torch will simply get their ineerds transplanted into a new cheap shell, that or the car will be deemed spares and the shell crushed,

Can't wait for the memorypanel to be used, you can bash into whoever is annoying you in the knowledge that the panel will self shape back to original, what a blast to give the snail in front a shove knowing it won't cost you your NCB anymore, coming through lol :devil:

Pedestrians as well, I knocked a guy on his @rse with my bike (legs not petrol) when he stepped out onto the road with his earphones in and glued to the screen. Cheeky git had the cheek to accuse me of not looking where I was going!

Darwin's Theory of Evolution at work weeding out the morons I suppose!

Sent from my XT890 using Tapatalk

I have crashed quite a few cars, never has an airbag gone off though, I feel sort of cheated and underwhelmed because there were a few decent shunts!

I have smashed a Mini up, this hit a Sierra Sapphire that was already in a ditch.

I have hit a 306 on a roundabout.

I have hit a Passat up the back end of a Lexus. (He thought he was being funny jabbing his brakes all the time) He wasn't laughing when we exchanged details. My car was a company effort so was not overly bothered.

I also hit a Porsche cayenne in the Yeti, again no airbags.

All cars were repaired and drove fine but panel fit was poor as was the workmanship, over spray, bits missing etc.

I have crashed quite a few cars, never has an airbag gone off though, I feel sort of cheated and underwhelmed because there were a few decent shunts!

I have smashed a Mini up, this hit a Sierra Sapphire that was already in a ditch.

I have hit a 306 on a roundabout.

I have hit a Passat up the back end of a Lexus. (He thought he was being funny jabbing his brakes all the time) He wasn't laughing when we exchanged details. My car was a company effort so was not overly bothered.

I also hit a Porsche cayenne in the Yeti, again no airbags.

All cars were repaired and drove fine but panel fit was poor as was the workmanship, over spray, bits missing etc.

Hate to think what your insurance premium is...!

At 0:02 I really thought you were going to make it.

Sent from my XT890 using Tapatalk

Ouch....I felt that!

Remember as well that Cars nowadays are designed to protect the passenger and driver cells first and foremost. It's all about diverting energy and the force of the impact away from that area so although a car may look badly damaged visibly after a collision it is often as a result of the external panels taking the impact and the structural safety systems doing their job.

Years ago people would be killed or seriously injured and the car might not have been very badly damaged visibly because the passenger cell took the full impact.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You doubt that any Skodas could be involved in serious accidents - why?  Do they have an invisible force-field?

Use NCAP ratings to work out how they perform in crashes & what parts of the body are likely to sustain injury.  EuroNcap has more info than the ANCAP site.

The biggest problem with your original post is that it comes from an Australian newspaper article (so it's poorly researched & lacks fact checking), followed by the words of a Professor, which means that they made most of their stuff up while looking into a large glass of shiraz (that's how my Associate Professor wife used to do it). 

You doubt that any Skodas could be involved in serious accidents - why?  Do they have an invisible force-field?

Use NCAP ratings to work out how they perform in crashes & what parts of the body are likely to sustain injury.  EuroNcap has more info than the ANCAP site.

The biggest problem with your original post is that it comes from an Australian newspaper article (so it's poorly researched & lacks fact checking), followed by the words of a Professor, which means that they made most of their stuff up while looking into a large glass of shiraz (that's how my Associate Professor wife used to do it). 

No...Read my entire reply. Or I'll clarify it a little better. Skoda have only been back in Australia since 2009. They were with us back in the early 1970's but disappeared through poor sales. Now...owned by VW Group, they have come back. But sales are very slow. Less than 200 Skodas sold here in our state called 'Victoria' (Which happens to be as big as the UK)  BECAUSE Skoda is only new (again) to Australia, BECAUSE there are not too many cars sold each year, BECAUSE they are a limited sales market. (GM & FORD, TOYOTA SELL MORE CARS HERE IN OZ) I doubt whether there would be a Skoda involved in a serious collision whereby the air bags have gone off and the people owning them would have a good luck story (Like above). I'm a Policeman here in Australia and I've never been to a collision involving a Skoda vehicle. Again...there is not enough of them on our roads so that's probably why.