Responses to posts

You make a valid point but as they say we are all different and where some people see comments as banter then some people see it as insults. The one common theme is obviously we are all different and will all see things as such that is why we are not clones of one another, I can hear the "thank god" for those that know me.

Incidentally you mention another site, well I have for years belonged to another site that has a p... taking but general banter section where the "pilots" question would have been answered while having a great deal of liquid extracted from him.

Let's hope the "pilot" can see past the comments and return because this site is full of very knowledgeable people.

• Like 1

niveketak ,  You've obviously read my post. You get my tick of approval. I was also criticising the people who had a crack at Pilot. I hope he comes back. And it was me who posted the collision question where someone had a crack at me over a selection or choice of words.

All I look for is constructive answers. No banter, No abuse. There's enough anger in this world without throwing some around this forum If they can't do that...don't reply to the forum. Simple!  I support this topic 100%

I'm really sorry to say this again, but are you actually being serious? This is without doubt one of the friendliest and most helpful forum I've joined (and I'm a member on a few too) and I'm proud to've been a member for nearly 10 years and I take real exception to your statement. Ok.... Yes I was the "one" that had the poke at the "pilot" with his massive understanding of aerodynamics. He had been to his dealer and had been shown that buffeting is completely normal on his car (and on every enclosed vehicle produced in the last 60 years I suspect) and yet, this then chose to reject this fact and state he felt his car was not "fit for purpose"? Seriously?

+1 oops have I upset anyone, only kidding while keeping things nice and light.

Just recently I have noticed that some of the responses to posts have been a little less than friendly when it has been perceived the post was somehow wrong or unnecessary. A recent one by a pilot asking about wind buffeting met with some clear answers and some abuse. It was an honest question, he hadn't experienced it before on any other car.  A poster today has been criticised over his choice of title concerning collision damage.

It would seem to me that if someone posts a question on a forum and you know the answer then the poster will be happy with that, if you don't know the answer but have helpful comments to ask then fine but I cannot see the point in alienating people as they may be the only one who can answer a question you may have at some point.

I am also a member of the Hobby caravan forum, Volvo Amazon forum, Peugeot 205 forum and Renault 4 forum and this is the first time I have seen unfriendly responses to posts and in the case of the pilot, abuse.

Now I will no doubt be told to mind my own business, that people are entitled to say what they like and that there are people on the site who decide what is wrong or right it's got nothing to do with me. That may be the case but then I am also entitled to have an opinion. It takes no effort to be polite.

Kevin

Well said Kevin.

Kopparberg & numskull,

Have to say I'm with you 100% :clap:

This has been by far the friendliest and most helpful forum I have been a member of, sure people have different ways of reading questions and answers and perhaps a merry jape can be misconstrued.

I for one hope the "grumpy old men" do not get a hold on the forum as it will definitely decline if they do and just put the Skoda image back a few decades to where it was. As has been shown in 1 topic in particular the average age of the Superb driver on this forum is not that high and as such lively, lighthearted, constructive and informative communication should be expected.

Pilot - well I posted in reply to his post, I did wonder at the time if it was a wind up but hey benefit of the doubt. I make a suggestion (and I could be totally wrong and apologize up front if so) but what if Pilot just posted to create angst within  the forum community ? He certainly seems to have done so. To best of my knowledge has not posted since to accept any of the apologies that have been offered - it does not take a lot to post an acceptance does it ? Do I Hope he returns - YES! as we can all benefit from each others experiences and knowledge.

My thoughts summed up - Lets all carry on as we were :thumbup:

Smudgers

I for one hope the "grumpy old men" do not get a hold on the forum as it will definitely decline if they do and just put the Skoda image back a few decades to where it was

Smudgers

When I see a post like this it gives me a Green light to reply.. well i would wouldn't I, being a Grumpy Old Man. The only time I get to take the p... is when I am in the pub with my mates. ( I have tried expelling to HWMBO that it is man thing. She still does not get it ) On the occasions be tempted on this site, i seem to have got away with it, more on that later.

Does Smudgers el at mean that I am no longer welcome on this site and I cannot join in this august forum? 

Should I take offence? Should I smile and go along with what is clearly just banter ( hope that is what it is )

When I posted something that may be misinterpreted, I make use of smilies to ameliorate my comments. Perhaps this is the way forward  :swear: ?

Have you seen this Post Smudgers? :rofl: 

You're too young to be driving around in a Skoda estate 

Well I'll be the unpopular one then...

I don't find it annoying if 9 threads out of 10 are emotion-based threads like "I love my Superb" or "I hate the Columbus"

I don't find it annoying if 9 threads out of 10 are very specific question-based threads like "My car throws error code X what do I do?", or "How do I remove part Y from the car?"

I will let you in on a secret...

99% of the content on the internet is old. Not original. Rehashed. It's read, digested, reformulated and retyped by people because a. they want to sound knowledgable, b. they want to help someone or c. they collect and share this information out of commercial interests.

Want to know another secret?

It's out there. For all of us to seek, find, and discover. 99% of your problems have a solution (at least one, possible multiple) and these are all over the net. If there is no readily available solution, there will be at least a discussion about a possible solution, again all over the place.

You know what annoys me?

This thread;

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/326757-gps-receiver-location/

Can anyone tell me where the GPS receiver for Columbus is located? Is it in the shark fin aerial? 

You know what happens next?

I go to this miracle of a place called Google.com. I swear, it's made of unicorns, rainbows and the tears of kittens.

I type "GPS antenna Columbus Superb"

I hit inter.

I find a result for a thread ON THIS SAME FLIPPING FORUM;

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/217559-roof-antenna-fake-or-not/

I mean, this thread has it all. It tells you which MY has a fake, and which one has a real one. It even goes as far to tell you which option code is on the sticker in the boot, depending on your model/equipment;

Look at your PR numbers !

7Q0 = No NAV.
QV0 = No TV.
9W0 = Not preparred for phone
9W8 = Preparred for phone
9M0 = No aux heating

Meaning if you have:
PR 9W5, 9ZF, 9ZG your shark ant has GSM.
PR 8AY your shark ant has GPS.
PR 9M9 your shark ant can receive signals from aux heating remote.

From this you get 7 possible shark ant combinations and therefore 7 different partnumbers for the shark ant. One of these is the dummy ant.
So your car will have the dummy if you have ALL the following PR's 7Q0, QV0, 9W0, 9M0.

Seriously? 5 seconds with Google and I have the most detailed information you could possibly wish to find? And it's even on the same forum as where you post the question in the first place?

I could copy/paste all the info over (and make myself look really smart and helpfull), but I don't like stealing other people's credit. So I post in his thread, and point him in the right direction. I don't berate him 'Google it you numpty', but still. Do we *need* to have another thread about something that has already been answered (very detailed) at LEAST once??

But then again, I might be a very grumpy 29 year old... :p

Edited by Too Tall

I don't find it annoying if 9 threads out of 10 are emotion-based threads like "I love my Superb" or "I hate the Columbus"

I don't find it annoying if 9 threads out of 10 are very specific question-based threads like "My car throws error code X what do I do?", or "How do I remove part Y from the car?"

99% of the content on the internet is old. Not original. Rehashed. It's read, digested, reformulated and retyped by people because a. they want to sound knowledgable, b. they want to help someone or c. they collect and share this information out of commercial interests.

It's out there. For all of us to seek, find, and discover. 99% of your problems have a solution (at least one, possible multiple) and these are all over the net. If there is no readily available solution, there will be at least a discussion about a possible solution, again all over the place.

You know what annoys me?

This thread;

I go to this miracle of a place called Google.com. I swear, it's made of unicorns, rainbows and the tears of kittens.

I hit inter.

I mean, this thread has it all. It tells you which MY has a fake, and which one has a real one. It even goes as far to tell you which option code is on the sticker in the boot, depending on your model/equipment;

Seriously? 5 seconds with Google and I have the most detailed information you could possibly wish to find? And it's even on the same forum as where you post the question in the first place?

I could copy/paste all the info over (and make myself look really smart and helpfull), but I don't like stealing other people's credit. So I post in his thread, and point him in the right direction. I don't berate him 'Google it you numpty', but still. Do we *need* to have another thread about something that has already been answered (very detailed) at LEAST once??

Maybe people post on here for more reasons than just finding a solution to a problem.  Maybe they actually want to interact with other members and keep the forum active.  Also it's handy to learn little tips that people have come across while fixing the same issue on their cars. 

Personally, I'll do my own research if trying to get to the bottom of a problem, but I'd also post a thread to canvas opinion and find out what other members have done.  Forums are here for discussion after all.

You know what annoys me?

This thread;

I hit inter.

Easy tiger. I had checked with Google, and on this forum. But I wanted to make sure by getting info from people I know and trust on this forum - you being one of them.

Didn't want to knock you or anyting (and I try to never be rude so I just linked to the post in your topic), but it's one of my pet peeves so to speak. So when people discuss "forum decorum" I always try to make a point that more content isn't necessarely better than quality content.

And don't trust me on anything related to cars, I know absolutely nothing about them...The people I go to for advice or help are Eddie-NL and Enriquez, both helped me immensly!

Sometimes this forum does feel like the teletubies, everything repeated 5+ times.

Like most things in life I find that I take from the posts what I need.

Some topics are hard work to read and leave me scratching my head with amazement. I get frustrated with silly questions that are really obvious. Some topics actually make me wonder if people are "for real"??

I'm my opinion if you post then don't be surprised if you get a response or tone you don't like. It's a forum, not a nursery rhyme.

Raptor

We need some Grumpy Old men  :thumbup:  They have the knowledge and that's what we're all after at the end of the day from this site. :happy:

Keep up the good work  :clap: 

Smudgers

Raptor

We need some Grumpy Old men  :thumbup:  They have the knowledge and that's what we're all after at the end of the day from this site. :happy:

Keep up the good work  :clap:

Smudgers

I'm 56, very grey and overweight. I know a lot about a little and a little about a lot. If, through experience I can help, I will; if I cant, I won't. Oh and I'm too sarcastic for my own good a times and sometimes that is misconstrued, for which I unreservedly apologise - sorry if I've offended anyone.... :)   

I've always found it a very good forum myself *and I've also been on a few* but forums are always best at inception where there is a genuine will to gather knowledge and share it,

The one thing that gets me with forums is they always end up with cliques, normally cliques of those that without social media would have no use for their mouths other than to shovel grub into it (please don't go into he means me mode just yet) because they struggle to interact face to face unless there has been some sort of introduction prior to that,

Now I know I've a few knife weilders here who don't like it that I might say something negative about the VAG group or that I might say something positive about another marque but I really don't care as I think the truth is always the most important thing, then we get the eye of the reader syndrome where what was written was not what got read,

Let me give you a prime example without names, one user I've clashed with was so pro Skoda that he's now moved onto another marque of car, that's right the leading defender defected pdq and the real thing that makes me chuckle is what he bought isn't as good as what he got rid of, the media might say, the owners might say, but I'll bet that new car sees more ramp action than the Skoda ever did or will, and if you're still reading don't bother to answer me on it as I don't need another slanging match with you, what I just posted on the subject is the truth and that's as far as truth needs to go thx,

Anyway I'll still try to help those of you who want help and will listen and not take a "you don't drive Skoda so booogahoff view" of me,

Last thought, ever wondered why I still visit 4 years after selling the Superb? because just like when I first joined 7 years ago there are still some fine people who make the forum go around, some old some new, but when a forum becomes a trumpet zone of aren't we wonderful it kinda dies for me, I saw it happen on Vectra C, the team type poster gradually went and John Lately arrived and muscled in, and if you don't believe me so be it but I can assure you two guys who helped set it up were gone within 18 mths saying they want nothing more to do with it all the time certain others are involved in it, and another group of prime members walked away from it to set up their own non marque forum over something they no longer wanted to be associated with,

So all in all when you consider that lot this ain't a bad forum at all and the OP is correct because eventually it's the shooters who ruin a forum and if they continue to treat others like a YTS kid on his first day then those people will leave until all that remains is the shooters who then go remarkably quiet and also walk away,

TFR.

Sometimes this forum does feel like the teletubies, everything repeated 5+ times.

Like most things in life I find that I take from the posts what I need.

Some topics are hard work to read and leave me scratching my head with amazement. I get frustrated with silly questions that are really obvious. Some topics actually make me wonder if people are "for real"??

I'm my opinion if you post then don't be surprised if you get a response or tone you don't like. It's a forum, not a nursery rhyme.

I 'm moderator on another forum, this ^^^^ is the most accurate description of any forum I have seen.