Engine Management Light Flashing & Judder

gordz

So as I stopped at traffic lights yesterday my vrs dropped down into 1st gear as per usual, but as it did so there was a judder and the engine management light flashed all for around 10 seconds... but then all was fine.

I've done searches on the forum and all I can find is that it's a possible misfire and spark plugs should be changed... but they were all changed only 1k miles ago!

Anyone any suggestions? Cheers, Gordon.

It can happen if you have just been pottering around, or sat for a while stationary with the engine running.

So do not panic.

So what mileage on the car.?

Do you run it on 99 ron?

If not, fill it up with Tesco Momentum 99 or Shell V-Power Nitro.   (BP Ultimate, Esso Super & Sainsbury Super Unleaded are 97 ron Minimum.)

If the light shows again, or you get the EPC & Exhaust/Emission Control Warning light at times, sometimes both.

Unless you fitted the spark plugs yourself, you had better check with who fitted them, they are the correct plugs, set with the correct gap.

Then if there is a continuing mis-fire it will need checked out for a Coil going or some other issue.

Do not try an Italian Tune up,  (Thrashing It.)  because it could go into Limp Mode.

Edited by goneoffSKi

You have read correctly.  Lots have had issues following Spark Plug Changes.

Many technicians take it that plugs come gapped, and they do, but you still check, & importantly you check what the Gap should be, then only adjust if you are certain.

Well some fail there at that point.

Then there is Ignition Coils being damaged at the Plug Change, 

or it is just a Failing Plug before replacement possibly also had a coil on  the way out.

It is all basic stuff, and mostly so straight forward, but as you say,  

There does seem to be a fair few 1.4 TSI Twinchargers hav Mis-fires after getting new Spark Plugs fitted..

It can happen if you have just been pottering around, or sat for a while stationary with the engine running.

So do not panic.

So what mileage on the car.?

Do you run it on 99 ron?

If not, fill it up with Tesco Momentum 99 or Shell V-Power Nitro.   (BP Ultimate, Esso Super & Sainsbury Super Unleaded are 97 ron Minimum.)

If the light shows again, or you get the EPC & Exhaust/Emission Control Warning light at times, sometimes both.

Unless you fitted the spark plugs yourself, you had better check with who fitted them, they are the correct plugs, set with the correct gap.

Then if there is a continuing mis-fire it will need checked out for a Coil going or some other issue.

Do not try an Italian Tune up,  (Thrashing It.)  because it could go into Limp Mode.

Cheers for the detailed reply. Forgot to mention, that the car had been sat at the airport for a week, so maybe could have been related to this? (but I had driven for over half an hour before this issue occurred... and since I've only just got the car I find it difficult to potter around :p ).

Car has just gone over 30k miles. I've only had the car for less than a month, and I've been trying to use super unleaded, but now you mention it, this last tank was standard unleaded, and to be honest I hadn't really noticed a difference between them in regards to performance or economy! Only reason I'm trying to stick to higher octane fuel is due to the fact it seems Skoda recommends 98ron as preferred fuel for the engine.

Hopefully it is just down to a mix of the car sitting around and rubbish fuel... but will be keeping a close eye on it and if happens again will be checking the plugs.

Out of interest, what is the gap required for the spark plugs? Can this be checked by myself or does someone mechanically qualified have to do it with some magic tool?

Sounds like you were OK.

Perfect Storm.

95 ron, car parked up.

Sometimes the Air Filter or Air Filter box a bit damp.

It is a Recommended 98 ron (super Unleaded.),  but really it makes the difference and since there is no 98 sold in the UK, then 99 it is, or 97.

The car runs on 95 and you might notice no difference, half using the power will still lose you your licence

But cold Starting etc sometimes clearly shows you are not using 99 ron (97 ron)

I will not say the Plug Gap, it is easy to find,

but it is nice to ask a Service Manager what they were set at, and watch them struggle to tell you.

You need the Coil Removing tool, or a DIY one, 

but i would leave it and dont mess, i take it you have a Warranty, if you get the light showing have the Dealership deal with it.

Best top up with 99 ron, and take it easy till all feels OK, but probably it is already.

Sorry to hijack the thread I've requested my spark plugs to be changed next week at the dealers, what is recommend to mention when I take the car in? Many thanks

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

What age and mileage of car.?

Skoda Dealership normally quote ridiculous prices.

You had best ask.

Another member recently was Quoted £100 over and above the £249 for a Major Service i think.

VW Dealers might do a Major Service with Long Life Oil for £249 & with the Spark Plugs Changed for £299.

Edited by goneoffSKi