please bear with me, my mechanical knowledge is extremely limited.

have tried using search but cant seem to find what i am looking for.

I have bought an aftermarket air filter for my car last weekend and have some time to fit it this week and thought i'd check everything before starting.

after inspecting the air inlet intake ( number 18 on link: http://www.partsbase.org/skoda/fabia-fab-eu-2000-12912-air-filter-with-connecting-parts/)

there is a pipe that goes somewhere on the engine and looking inside the inlet there is a valve with a smaller intake. 

what I would like to ask is, what is that pipe is for and what does it lead to?

if I replace the whole air box assembly with the aftermarket airfilter and new air inlet pipe, where would that pipe go?

any help would be apreciated, thanks!

I think that's for the automatic hot/cold air feed, you wouldn't have a hot air feed any more so just disco it from the heat shield on the exhaust manifold and chuck it in the spares box with all the other parts.