Why didn't the vRS sell better?

AJR77

Because the Mk2 was damned fugly and therefore I would rather spend a few £k elsewhere to get something I could live with!

That and the diesel/manual argument...

But many people did not spend more and buy a VW Polo GTI Twincharger,  and its not exactly Fugly.

Odd that you have a Fugly Mk1, did you buy any other type of car since the Mk2  vRS came out

Edited by goneoffSKi
  • Like 1

Fugly grows on you,when you see the face of racers in you rear view mirror on leaving them for dust.

5 doors of Fugly practical space.

I loved my mk1 and mk2 for different reasons.

Unfortunately I won't be able to say that about a mk3.

• Like 4

I'm not convinced I would buy any hot-hatch that wasn't a looker, because then it doesn't really fit with the hot-hatch DNA to my mind. I wouldn't have bought a Mk1 or Mk2 VRS new for that reason as they didn't have the complete package. That's how I feel about it anyway.

I expect they were more likely to sell to people who wanted power for not a lot of money, and could cope with the looks. Though if you're trying to save money you'd probably see sense and choose a more reliable and economical mark - like a 2nd hand Mk1.

And yes, I have bought other cars. I don't own my Mk1 for its looks, and it probably cost 1/10th of the Mk2 VRS when I bought it, so can't really be compared!

Was alot of car for the money but was a bit of a niche product.

The Mk2 Fabia is a bit of a funny looking/proportioned little car, the vRS styling could only do so much to address this.

Also the vRS was quite expensive even with discount for a Fabia. Most people in the market for a Fabia werent looking for a 14-15k 180hp fast hatch.

Lastly despite having a great engine and DSG gearbox the vRS didnt drive as well as its Polo/Ibiza/A1 brethren; straight from the factory IMHO its handling and braking capabilities werent particularly clever.

I had one for about 18 months and had a bit of a love hate relationship with it; was my wifes car originally so only drove it occasionally but largely enjoyed it when I did, then for a while became my daily drive and whilst I loved the powertrain over time I struggled more and more to forgive it its other ills.

I changed it for an Octavia vRS TDi and whilst overall slower it was better to drive by some margin.

Edited by pipsyp
  • Like 1

DSG is the main culprit.

in 2014 we've had the controversy of two major drivers cars being released in dual clutch only guise, the clio RS and the GT3 porker. Both cars are great ( the later of course is out of this world) however you can see that when the package is good its still hard to persuade drivers to switch to an auto. So how the hell was the Skoda Fabia going to cope.

Interesting thing is when you look at some other hot hatches such as the M135i which has given the buyers the option to go auto or manual the sales figures clearly show that 80% of buyers ticked the auto box compared to 20% for Manual. but i do believe this turn around has happened mainly in the last two or three years.

Back in 2010 the Fabia had no chance.

Oh and lets not forget the Fabia mk2 was never the prettiest car, i think we'd all agree its no raving beauty and this affected buyers back then.

Many people think the Mk1 VRS was a big seller because it was an amazing car. lets be honest it was nothing more than a boxy Ibiza TDi 130. it was not that quick and was never a proper Hot hatch.

It still amazes me at how many well versed petrol heads are not aware of the spec of the Fabia VRS. The other week at the ring i was having to explain the engine to somebody who builds race cars. So i would echo the above comments on advertising, where as the Mk1 got loads as it was a diesel and different. strange thing is the marshals at the ring have been using a mk2 Fabia VRS estate for the last 3 years now yet most think its a bog standard fabia

I had the RAC out (for what fortunately turned out only to be a minor electronic issue caused by a broken bracket) and the patrolman was totally taken aback when he plugged in his diagnostic equipment and found out it was a 180PS engine - that for me is a good thing!

I occasionally contemplate selling it because of my low usage but when it comes to the crunch I can't bring myself to go through with it (I had an appointment with wewantanycar yesterday that I didn't keep - yes, I know they'll knock me down but even allowing for that their offer was surprisingly good). I liked my MKI vRS but I sold it without a moment of hesitation.

My vRS has been on loan recently so not driven it much.

So i have Serviced it, put in some 102 ron petrol  and went to have some fun. (Private Roads obviously.)

I used to regularly drive more powerful cars, and ones that are faster & i am getting soft and prefer more comfortable. 

But on full chat with some 99 ron or better, a lowly 1380 cc engine car with a minimum 180 ps can not half give you palpitations.

Love them, the lightness, the quirky handling, poor brakes, the lot.

(TC really needs switched off to really enjoy IME)

The Engine & Gearbox are very special IMO.

I will not be without a Twincharger with an autobox until something affordable comes along without a clutch pedal that is Better and can be bought for less than £10,000,

yet have very low running costs..

george

Juices are flowing now, so off to drive my favourite road.

(i maybe gone a while!!)

Edited by goneoffSKi
  • Like 3

Although the the performance of a modern small Fiesta does appeal to me, the dash and interior does not. Considering I will spend more time looking at the inside rather then looking at the outside I would still take the Fabia vrs estate although if I was a bit younger the Clio rs may have got the nod.

At the end of the day its all about what ever tickles your fancy. Funny thing is over here in oz the A1 out sells the Polo and Fabia.... of course we have alot more brand snobs here hence forth their will be no more aussie car manufactures after 2017. Then again serves them right for thinking that everyone wants to own a 4 door, 6 cylinder taxi that can tow a caravan.

In the future I would be happy to pick up another cheap second hand twin charger because in the end its all about the motor and the twin charger is still a kick as.. motor be it standard or tuned.

• Like 4

People bought the Mk I because it was cheap. Cheap to run. Cheap to insure. Cheap to buy too. It wasn't actually that fast, but all that torque very cleverly made it feel like you were driving a rocket-propelled sled. It appealed to traditional Skoda owners who loved a value proposition and the magazine reviewers raved about it. Remember that performance stat about the vRS being faster in-gear than a Porsche 911? It was basically a nonsense, but it sold a lot of cars.

The Mk II was expensive to buy. Compared to a Mk I it was expensive to insure and run.

The best way to sell Mk II's would have been conversion sales from the Mk I. But Mk I owners looked at the numbers and decided to stay with what they had. It wasn't a value proposition. So the Mk II had to make conquest sales against other brands.

And then the stories started about the oil consumption and the gearboxes. At first they were denied, but ultimately the truth will out.

Is it any wonder that people stayed away in their droves?

All they had to do to make the Mk II vRS a value proposition was to make the PD170 engine fit into the Mk II and couple that to a manual gearbox for a car that would have done 50mpg and the 0-62mph sprint in under 7 seconds. Simple really. But it didn't fit someone's marketing plan so it never happened. Just like why the Mk III is built on old Mk I bits because Skoda can't have a properly modern car to sell.

Very sad.

• Like 1

problem was the PD engines couldn't meet the new EU5 emission rules so hence we got the CR engines with DPF's and next we will get CR with DPF and AdBlue to meet EU6 regs

put the 2.0CR engine in the MKIII in a 160ish bhp guise and you might have a option, as there will be spare capacity for tuners and tweakers

part of the appeal of the mkI was the stealth mode of it, as apart from the wheels the only clue was a small badge front and back and a chrome exhaust

we had ours for 10 years from new and the wife looked at the MKII and decided it was not what we wanted

points against it for us were the engine being petrol and on the limits (we considered it likely to be unreliable) and the DSG gearbox was an instant no for the wife, then looked at the MPG compared to the MKI and definite no and the price was silly compared to the MKI it replaced

• Like 1

My MKII has always been cheaper to insure than my MKI - I'm certainly not the only person in that position.

Unless you do mega miles the difference in running costs is negligible (everyone's circumstances are different but I didn't get many more miles to the tank in the MKI).

I loved the gearbox and the torque of my MKI but I've absolutely no regrets about switching - and at least my MKII is watertight, which can make the MKI a bit of a miserable ownership experience (I got fed up driving in what appeared to be a mobile sauna due to the amount of condensation).

I loved the gearbox and the torque of my MKI but I've absolutely no regrets about switching - and at least my MKII is watertight, which can make the MKI a bit of a miserable ownership experience (I got fed up driving in what appeared to be a mobile sauna due to the amount of condensation).

did you ever change the pollen filter? or clear the drains from the screen?

never really had a problem with condensation on our except when the pollen filter was blocked and reduced airflow, then made sure it was changed every year, not just when it was supposed to be every other year

did you ever change the pollen filter? or clear the drains from the screen?

never really had a problem with condensation on our except when the pollen filter was blocked and reduced airflow, then made sure it was changed every year, not just when it was supposed to be every other year

Yes, had the pollen filter changed, but as George says it was down to the rear door seals. The condensation freezing on the interior glass was a particular ball ache - could take 15 / 20 mins to clear it before I could drive off - not much fun when it's freezing cold. Did get the door seals fixed twice - held up at first but then started letting water in again.

For me it was the handling/ride/steering that prevented a vRS sale.

I found the ride crashy yet it still rolled around corners with little steering feel. The exact opposite of a Fiesta ST which is firm but not crashy, corners flat and the steering feels alive.

I've had numerous Fabia's which are great as a budget spacious supermini but didn't work for me as a warm/hot hatch.

Lee

I must say I've never found the ride "crashy" but maybe that's just me. The handling's not great, but I find it ok - certainly within the limits of my driving as I'm not an overly enthusiastic driver.

Cos it didn't have a Diesel Engine and a Manual box

The answer to the post really is as simple as this.

I had a Mk1 vRS, & it was a brilliant idea to do a hot hatch diesel, & it sold & sold really well, it was tuneable.

When the MK2 was released as petrol + DSG only,  it was a car i did not want, along with LOTS of other mk1 fabia vRS owners, which is why sales have been particularly bad along with the reliability issues, in sales terms it has been a disaster.

This has just given Skoda an excuse not to do the vRS in the MK3. Personally i believe that this is a BIG mistake as this model will introduce a younger generation to the brand & hopefullly keep them.  

Another mistake, just like the publicity release of the Rapid, along with poor sales.

This has just given Skoda an excuse not to do the vRS in the MK3. Personally i believe that this is a BIG mistake as this model will introduce a younger generation to the brand & hopefullly keep them.

Wait and see what happens after the new Fabia III R5 (WRC2) rally car gets homoligated mid next year. My bet is once the new bodied A1 and Polo gti's come out with a new performance engine first you will see a vRS again.

• Like 1

My vRS has been on loan recently so not driven it much.

So i have Serviced it, put in some 102 ron petrol and went to have some fun. (Private Roads obviously.)

I used to regularly drive more powerful cars, and ones that are faster & i am getting soft and prefer more comfortable.

But on full chat with some 99 ron or better, a lowly 1380 cc engine car with a minimum 180 ps can not half give you palpitations.

Love them, the lightness, the quirky handling, poor brakes, the lot.

(TC really needs switched off to really enjoy IME)

The Engine & Gearbox are very special IMO.

I will not be without a Twincharger with an autobox until something affordable comes along without a clutch pedal that is Better and can be bought for less than £10,000,

yet have very low running costs..

george

Juices are flowing now, so off to drive my favourite road.

(i maybe gone a while!!)

A little off topic maybe, but that road looks awesome! Looks a very fast road mind!

The answer to the post really is as simple as this.

I had a Mk1 vRS, & it was a brilliant idea to do a hot hatch diesel, & it sold & sold really well, it was tuneable.

When the MK2 was released as petrol + DSG only, it was a car i did not want, along with LOTS of other mk1 fabia vRS owners, which is why sales have been particularly bad along with the reliability issues, in sales terms it has been a disaster.

Another mistake, just like the publicity release of the Rapid, along with poor sales.

The MKI only sold 11,000 over four years (obviously much better than the MKII buy still hardly high volume), so even if 'lots' of MKI owners didn't want a MKII I don't think that was the reason for it being a sales failure (and Skoda were aiming for a different market anyway) - as someone has pointed out the MKII was simply too much of a niche product (which was part of the appeal to me).

• Like 2

Hot hatches sell loads in the UK,  

VXR, ST, GTI, R, RS,  R Sport, vRS, Type R, STI, Sport, GP/JCW, etc

If you google UK Top Ten Hot Hatches, EVO will have £25,000 - £30,000 + cars, from  VW, Seat, Renault, Mini, Subaru, Honda etc

But the Lower Priced & Smaller ones are there as well,

Fiesta ST, Suzuki Swift Sport, old Renault Clio, Mini Cooper S' Peugoet GTI etc.

Its odd, but they fail usually to include the Polo GTI, Fabia vRS, Seat Ibiza A1 185, Renault Clio RS 1.6T

There is rather a Difference in buying a New Small & Lighter Warm / Hot Hatch from £16,000 - £22,000

& Ones from £22,000 - £32,000

But Car Magazines and Motoring road testers do not seem to be able to see the difference of around 200 bhp,  and nearer 300 bhp and £10,000 difference in price.

& still many ££££'s difference when bought used.

http://honestjohn.co.uk/topten/top-ten-hot-hatches

http://evo.co.uk/features/features/290242/best_hot_hatchbacks_top_ten.html

Edited by goneoffSKi
  • Like 1

Hot hatches sell loads in the UK,

VXR, ST, GTI, R, RS, R Sport, vRS, Type R, STI, Sport, JCW, etc

If you google UK Top Ten Hot Hatches, EVO will have £25,000 - £30,000 + cars, from VW, Seat, Renault, Mini, Subaru, Honda etc

But the Lower Priced & Smaller ones are there as well,

Fiesta ST, Suzuki Swift Sport, old Renault Clio, Mini Cooper S' Peugoet GTI etc.

Its odd, but they fail usually to include the Polo GTI, Fabia vRS, Seat Ibiza A1 185, Renault Clio RS 1.6T

There is rather a Difference in buying a New Small & Lighter Warm / Hot Hatch from £16,000 - £22,000

& Ones from £22,000 - £32,000

But Car Magazines and Motoring road testers do not seem to be able to see the difference of around 200 bhp, and nearer 300 bhp and £10,000 difference in price.

& still many ££££'s difference when bought used.

http://honestjohn.co.uk/topten/top-ten-hot-hatches

Audi S1 too

I forgot the Fiats & the BMWs ,  

as for the S1,  we will see how many of those sell, they might get more than the 500 or so A1 185ps they Register (sold maybe)  in the UK.

• Like 1