My Custom FMIC install......

cheers guys

When you consider i came from a sweet fitting Forge that had  a no hassle 1 hour fitting that came with everything needed,  I can really see why Forge do quote there prices coz most folks will go the hassle free way. 

However i am not known for taking easy route :p

Plus Forge are "not" the best for flow and as i want best this is the way

As you found out Rob install a custom FMIC is a challenge, not coz of the difficulty level but just labor intensive and pita getting everything to fit and line up.

Now couple that with my route of trying to get a oem type look , just add's to the pain. 

And the dam weather

this came handy

IMG_20140825_173904328_zpshjqxacug.jpg

Also a much as i planned in advance stuff gets missed , like the BAM charge pipe to Turbos. That is 68mm reduce to 45mm to get on K03s. There is no 90' elbow out there for this so i made my one temporary till i get a company to make one.

This is the 45mm

IMG_20140826_175121110_zps10xnb3fy.jpg

this is the 68mm

IMG_20140829_130307986_zpszdzmoeya.jpg

This is what i came up with

IMG_20140829_124450435_zpsxnz0pwe1.jpg

IMG_20140829_130300322_zpssqzhjnvr.jpg

IMG_20140829_131616183_zpsfnbpwqps.jpg

Then there is the stuff like

Bam servo pipe (smaller one)

IMG_20140826_153119956_zpscsf30x5r.jpg

The Bam fuel rail to help the Charge pipe sit better

IMG_20140826_121001900_zpstrvt6n6r.jpg

some careful wire adjustments

IMG_20140825_181048004_zps9zfqwu6c.jpg

making clearance for Bam map sensor pipe

IMG_20140827_101439714_zps4wx6cwap.jpg

means getting rid of this wire plastic retainer and making own.

IMG_20140827_095601344_zpskzzewaap.jpg 

trimming battery corner to get pipe to fit cleaner

IMG_20140827_101434250_zpsv1p6sh3a.jpg

careful drilling of bumper to get fmic bolts through 

IMG_20140827_141037595_zps17wpzxfl.jpg

IMG_20140829_145159561_zpsyde9sazt.jpg

cutting a lot off rear of bumper to allow pipes to route better.

IMG_20140827_105858419_zpsos0ihofw.jpg

new inlet mani bracket and cover

IMG_20140827_180356070_zpsdvs2rzp3.jpg

IMG_20140829_150447410_zpsgeep4o0n.jpg

new air filter coz the CAI want route with that bam pipework down bumper

IMG_20140829_145215790_zpsszbdw1oo.jpg

plus side getting rid of this load of ****e that must have been leaking for ages..(what a stupid design to seal a pipe)

IMG_20140826_142244140_zpslk7l663z.jpg

IMG_20140826_143525868_zpsd4eigxal.jpg

IMG_20140826_150228883_zpsjme3qpsz.jpg

• Like 3

Yoir car us stunning mate

Cheers..

Top work as always well done mate

Thanks

Really impressed with the work gone into this. So you say you've gone away from forge? What have you gone for now for your FMIC? (sorry if I missed this)

Hi I have a welly cooler . Basically a very large core FMIC that has inlet and outlet on opposite sides. The forge is a great piece of kit but it has inlet and outlet on same side. Although that makes for simple installation to car parts with no extra parts needed, it does not allow for best charge air flow.

Great work Bowders, superclean engine too :clap:

Cheers

Great write up as usual Bowders 'tips hat'

Thanks buddy.

I full diy guide will be done laters...

i had thought to myself a few days ago , "ive not seen Bowders rsponding to anything lately"...

Now i know why!!! You were obviously rather busy for rather a while!!

Top job as always Sir, both mechanically and Aesthetically!  :thumbup:

• Like 1

i had thought to myself a few days ago , "ive not seen Bowders rsponding to anything lately"...

Now i know why!!! You were obviously rather busy for rather a while!!

Top job as always Sir, both mechanically and Aesthetically! [emoji106]

Cheers buddy.[emoji4]

Yeah lol.

I basically have been collecting stuff for a while and been rather busy on other stuff as well. The project took me best part of a week working none full days and trying to miss the crud rain as well.

I am pleased with it now and glad I went the bam inlet and charge pipe route.

So now I am back till next project....

Appreciate the comments guys...

• Like 1

Good job mate!!! Clean and shiny install!

I have done the same to my Octy

20140312_162354_zps5ad6c593.jpg

nice buddy.

I noticed you must of kept your original pancake charge pipe under the wheel arch that goes up back of engine and route up to turbo. This I found with mine is a really poor seal and I am sure was causing a boost leak. It is such a poor design.

Could you take some pics of the throttle pipe and battery tray clearance looking down as you seem to have a lot of clearance there. Be interested to see how that routes . cheers

Mark

nice buddy.

I noticed you must of kept your original pancake charge pipe under the wheel arch that goes up back of engine and route up to turbo. This I found with mine is a really poor seal and I am sure was causing a boost leak. It is such a poor design.

Could you take some pics of the throttle pipe and battery tray clearance looking down as you seem to have a lot of clearance there. Be interested to see how that routes . cheers

Mark

Hi Mark,

Yes I still have that pancake pipe in there.I am collecting parts to do the S3 convesion so it will not last for so long.....

I have done my own FMIC install,TB hose goes forward to the grill and then 90 degrees down to IC...Here are some pics of the install....

IMAG0141_zpsd72c3ac7.jpg

IMGP1393_zpsac46f5ea.jpg

2013-08-28171159_zps32a79f5a.jpg

2013-08-28171557_zpsca905d10.jpg

Schlumph!!! This is one of those occasions that it is legally and morally ok to get a twitch in your under crackers!

Seriously though, what a bloody good job! I have been waiting to see how you ended up with this as I saw a while back that you had started to get the bits together and I'm in the midst of building up the parts pile to do this too but realistically I'm not going to get it done until next year with other jobs on.

Which size welly did you end up with? I've seen people using 2 different sizes to do this style of set up.

Good work dude!

Top workmanship again Bowders your attention to detail is excellent. It seems the main reason for this is an even tidier engine bay than before ( as it was a total mess before!! Lol ) but have you noticed any performance gains?

Schlumph!!! This is one of those occasions that it is legally and morally ok to get a twitch in your under crackers!

Seriously though, what a bloody good job! I have been waiting to see how you ended up with this as I saw a while back that you had started to get the bits together and I'm in the midst of building up the parts pile to do this too but realistically I'm not going to get it done until next year with other jobs on.

Which size welly did you end up with? I've seen people using 2 different sizes to do this style of set up.

Good work dude!

Thanks for comments mate

yeah there are 2 coolers the "welly" cooler is the larger one normally priced at around the £89....

this one

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/UNIVERSAL-ALUMINIUM-ALLOY-600x300x76MM-TURBO-FRONT-MOUNT-INTERCOOLER-CORE-FMIC-/230964068457?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item35c6880069

Top workmanship again Bowders your attention to detail is excellent. It seems the main reason for this is an even tidier engine bay than before ( as it was a total mess before!! Lol ) but have you noticed any performance gains?

I am still waiting for a custom made 90' elbow to make job complete to be able to use full boost as right now i have a bit of a bodge job join at turbo end which is enough to keep me running but if it pop's off it will be so dam hot i won't be able to re attach it. General feeling of car and as it picks up under low boost are very smooth and feels like it is about to take off, so hopefully intake temps are better.

Damn youve got one of those self cleaning engine bays :no:  loads of hard work I can only imagine, and this latest is up there with the rest

Top job buddy :thumbup:  :thumbup:

yeah i just open the bonnet and those pixie's have been at it again.....:)

• 2 weeks later...