Yeti L&K Sat Nav Amundsen updates- how?

petergee

Anyone know how to update the map on the Yeti L&K amundsen unit?

It doesn't seem to be the same as the Octavia amundsen sat nav (which I found instruction for).

But there is no instructions that I can find on the Skoda website on how to update the Yeti version.

Anyone got the knowledge or ideas?

Firstly, I think you'll find that your Yeti has the Columbus unit and not Amundsen.

Secondly, what exactly are you trying to update, the maps, or to add map content ?

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

When we did the Croatian road trip earlier in the year, I bought an Eastern Europe Columbus CD from an on-line supplier (Google is your friend). Worked a treat and gave the option to either load into the unit or run in the CD player. One presumes you can buy a latest version Western Europe disc and load that. 

Or go to a Skoda dealer...!

You see, that's the funny thing, I've been to the skoda dealer and they say it's a customer download but have no information on how to do it.

I've dscovered my map is a navteq 8048  but other than that I've no idea on whether this is up to date or if it can be updated or how?

I've dscovered my map is a navteq 8048  but other than that I've no idea on whether this is up to date or if it can be updated or how?

I not sure but I think 8049 v10, ARE the latest maps.

• 1 month later...

Finally got a reply from Skoda UK - the satnav can only be updated from a CD- ordered from Skoda dealer!!!!

So that answers the question  but why did the dealer say I had to do it via download- obviously, a little knowledge is a dangerous thing!!

Thanks for all the suggestion, guys.... now to order the discs.......

As I mentioned earlier: I think there may well be alternative suppliers for current nav data and also the Coumbus in the Octy III is set up for download updates.

A friend of mine is interested in buying a secondhand L&K Yeti. The dealer he spoke to and then a tech rep from SUK both told him that the Columbus does not have voice control beyond controlling the phone function. He was therefore somewhat surprised to see me demonstrate total voice control of my Columbus. It remains appalling that some dealers and even tech people at SUK know very little about the products they are selling....

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

Sorry, should have updated this thread - went to dealer, wanted to relieve me of £180 for the disc to update the sat nav.

Told them, ever so politely, that I could get two tomtoms for that price and that they could.......... so no deal and an out dated sat nav on the L&K that I could have updated if I had spent  less money and bought an Octavia instead... Way to go Skoda - big selling technique on your top of the range Yeti!! Not!

That's why I put some of you.

If not the maps can MK1 owners get the software upgrades from there?

No, they have to be obtained from the dealer as there is no download available. You can go to either a Skoda/VW or Seat dealer, because the same maps are used by all three brands, but it is a dealer purchase. The software licensing on early versions are such that they are not free, don't forget the MK1 Columbus is actually quiet dated now and has been around nearly 10 years. Luckily its still in production, at least that means you can get the latest maps.

No, they have to be obtained from the dealer as there is no download available. You can go to either a Skoda/VW or Seat dealer, because the same maps are used by all three brands, but it is a dealer purchase. The software licensing on early versions are such that they are not free, don't forget the MK1 Columbus is actually quiet dated now and has been around nearly 10 years. Luckily its still in production, at least that means you can get the latest maps.

Comment in Honest John's Q&A section in Motoring telegraph last week to the effect that  ..  Lots of reports being received of faulty VW built in sat -nav units, particularly Columbus, as fitted to VW & Skda cars.

That's rather worrying!

Edited by speedsport

Sorry, should have updated this thread - went to dealer, wanted to relieve me of £180 for the disc to update the sat nav.

Told them, ever so politely, that I could get two tomtoms for that price and that they could.......... so no deal and an out dated sat nav on the L&K that I could have updated if I had spent  less money and bought an Octavia instead... Way to go Skoda - big selling technique on your top of the range Yeti!! Not!

Try Fleabay - I got a perfectly good SD update card for my QQ from Russia (?) for £75 compared with a dealer price of £160.

I've now had a Columbus in each of my three Yetis. The only problems I've had is the occasional freeze on the one in TIBET III (perhaps 5 times in 15k miles) - cured by either turning the unit off and back on or by turning the engine off and back on. 

I've just updated the map (now version 8118 from 8048) via a CD bought from a company that I found by searching on an internet search engine. Whether it was a genuine Škoda item, I have no idea. It possibly might not be given the price but it works fine.