mk1 Octy vrs exhaust for a daily

Hi all, I've come to the conclusion that my octy is too quiet when going for a blast and want to give the motor a bit more grunt.

My issue is that this car is my daily and most days I'm sat at 60-70mph on the motorway trying to save fuel for the special friday where I get to use the full range of performance through some B roads and my concern is that I do not want an exhaust that's boomy at 60/70mph.

In the near future I would look at decatting the car/sports cat and from previous motors I know the cat works wonders as a silencer.

In essence I want an exhaust that can be heard and brings a smile past 3.5k but doesn't drone at 60-70mph in 5th; an exhaust you open the window to hear roar... I'd also like to see a few gains.

I've looked at:

Miltek non resonated systems (apparently resonated systems are similar to stock?)

Piper systems 2.5inch (not sure on the exit and whether these are quiet enough for a daily)

Blueflame (heard mixed reviews)

So can anyone help on a exhaust system for a daily with and without cat?

My vrs had a non res blue flame turbo back (100cel cat) and at 60-70 it could not be heard over wind/road noise. Sounded great when on song though, not too Halfords/chav.. just nice.

Are Blue flame still going???

I have had middle section cut out and a de-cat wit original exhaust the car has also had a remap,the map was alrady done when i bought it,ots not too loud but sounds nice with a bit more kick when under heavu acceloration,i am really eased with the outcome of the de-cat as i have never done this to a car before 390433534315 this is the item number for the de-cat off ebay

Iv got 3inch milltek downpipe with sports cat and japspeed catback system was resonated but gutted the midbox so now non resonated sounds perfect to me slightly beafier on tickover and normal driving but stand on the go pedal and it roars but doesn't sound like a chavved up corsa haha

• 2 weeks later...

Resonated = quieter (centre box in system)

I run a Piper non-resonated system with their 200 cell cat/large bore down pipe (stage 2 map etc), nice burble at idle that builds to a roar at around 4500/5000 rpm, but at motorway speeds I would say not much louder that OE.

I'm in my fifties and couldn't be bothered with a boomy exhaust!

I had a custom one fabricated when I had my st220! Again i was doing motorway driving like you but also wanted it to be heard when opening the taps! I used a company called Mij in Birmingham really good work and got the exhaust spot on sounded absolutely epic and really suited the car!

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Hi all, sorry about my delay to your response. I finally pulled my finger out today and bought the exhaust based on your reccomendations. I have a piper system arriving within the week! Touch wood I'll have a sound clip for you all soon.

Cheers again guys! :)