180mile round trip on an 8th of a tank !

DarrellGB

I'm loving the Yeti Greenline, now covered 8500 miles and with the DTUK box added the economy is better than ever. I'm not paying too much attention to the readout from the car but tracking mileage and brim to brim fill ups and there has certainly been an improvement.

Has anyone else found similar improvements?

I ordered a DTUK CRDe box but got the CRD2+ which I think must be an 'e' update model.

Fascinating outcome, particularly the first "eighth of a tank" as stated.

The 'overfill' I think accounts for that anomaly but subsequently the 'trip/range v trip/gauge seem to disagree.

At the beginning of an overfill ( the first eighth) I get a range/trip indication of a possible 1500km (950mile)

from the tank but once the tank sender senses a drop in the level the two (gauge v range) start to disagree.

My lowest flow rate, (3-4L/100km) at an economical 90kph, seems to occur with an accompanying 'surging' (all on flat motorways using cc) like a throttle pumper ....2sec on/2sec off and tacho indication of it. But other times 4-5L/100km under exactly same conditions, engine temp/road/wind etc.

From standstill it's very peppy but other times, say coming off a roundabout, the power gain goes missing until a gear change to 4th (I think) then v strong surge.

This box is only spliced twix the CR connectors so easily removed or a supplied 'dummy plug' can be used to replace the 'box' for fooling casual observers etc.

I'd estimate I'm getting a min 100km range boost but more impressive is the power gain.

I've asked DTUK to explain the strange characteristics but have had no response so far from sales.....don't know if there is a 'tech' email address.

Certainly happy with it but the surging issue has me at least surprised if not worried.

You say it connects to the CR? If its CRt+ it should connect to both the fuel and boost pressure sensors, the main difference are the external controls allowing for easy fine tuning. Here's a pick of mine......

...... I'm discounting the maxidot as I know it's thrown off and just working miles achieved on the odometer between tanks then calculated by the litres put in, that's how I know I'm getting more per tank.

post-120571-0-40879800-1409440505_thumb.jpg

As I said, I'm not using the maxidot but brim to brim, and it's a bit more sophisticated than slinging in a bit more fuel!! :o you of all people should know better Mr Yeti_Man, I'm not angry, I'm just disappointed!

As I said, I'm not using the maxidot but brim to brim, and it's a bit more sophisticated than slinging in a bit more fuel!! :o you of all people should know better Mr Yeti_Man, I'm not angry, I'm just disappointed!

why are you disappointed if you are seeing genuine improvements then, doesn't make sense?! The tuning box has no way of metering what it's doing in terms of adding fuel compared to the ECU's calculations and other environmental conditions - that was my point btw. 180 miles from an eighth of a tank doesn't mean much really without the supporting facts and figures but I'm glad you are enjoying unbelievably economical motoring. :)
  • Like 1

180 miles on an 8th of a tank? So that's now almost a 1500 mile range you have?

I'm a little sceptical here. What mpg are you getting if you do an accurate brim it brim calculation over a few tank fulls?

Nope, brim to brim (filling up when fuel light comes on) the last two tanks I've got 608 and 644 miles per tank. This was always theoretically possible with the Greenline's published figures but I just wasn't seeing it.

Obviously the second 'half' of the tank is smaller (as are most tanks) due it's funnel shaped design, so that all has to factored in. All I can day is what I'm getting in real world conditions and that's finally what Skoda told me it could do!

Nope, brim to brim (filling up when fuel light comes on) the last two tanks I've got 608 and 644 miles per tank. This was always theoretically possible with the Greenline's published figures but I just wasn't seeing it.

Obviously the second 'half' of the tank is smaller (as are most tanks) due it's funnel shaped design, so that all has to factored in. All I can day is what I'm getting in real world conditions and that's finally what Skoda told me it could do!

...so not actually 180 miles from an eight of a tank then? I've had easily over 600 miles from the 1.6 so it now makes far more sense to me.

• Like 1

I don't really see the point in claiming it's 180 mile from an 8th of a tank then, when everyone knows that's not true.

On my Mk1 octavia, if you filled it to the brim you could do easily 50 miles before the needle began to move, but that didn't mean that I was doing infinite MPG.

• Like 3

...so not actually 180 miles from an eight of a tank then? I've had easily over 600 miles from the 1.6 so it now makes far more sense to me.

I did a run to Yorkshire and back, filled up before set off, regular drive using M62, 180 mile round trip and only used 8th of a tank, doing 70-80mph, not sticking to 55-60. I'll let you know what I get from this one but it seems to be improving a little each time.

What were your driving conditions, speed etc, be interested to know details of the conditions you achieved that.

I don't really see the point in claiming it's 180 mile from an 8th of a tank then, when everyone knows that's not true.

On my Mk1 octavia, if you filled it to the brim you could do easily 50 miles before the needle began to move, but that didn't mean that I was doing infinite MPG.

I did the trip, got back and 8th of a tank was used, wasn't claiming, I was reporting, not sure why everyone seems to be so aggressively skeptical on this forum!

I got astounding milages from Der Galaxy, especially when travelling back from the Alps(and from above the summer snowline) to the Channel ports(hint:its downhill)

Anyone who knows the M62 from Widnes over the Pennines knows it's certainly not all down hill, be nice if it was!

I did the trip, got back and 8th of a tank was used, wasn't claiming, I was reporting, not sure why everyone seems to be so aggressively skeptical on this forum!

BECAUSE YOU DIDN'T USE 1/8th OF A TANK!

The needle may have moved down to the 7/8ths position but that's very different from having used 1/8th of a tank of fuel.

What's the capacity on a yeti? 50 or 55 litres? That would be 6.875 litres for an eighth , or 1.5 gallons. 180 miles on 1.5 gallons is 120mpg.

I think the reason you're seeing a certain amount of scepticism is that we've seen plenty of people on here before with completely implausible claims about performance and/or economy before, and we're pretty bored with them.

• Like 2

BECAUSE YOU DIDN'T USE 1/8th OF A TANK!

The needle may have moved down to the 7/8ths position but that's very different from having used 1/8th of a tank of fuel.

What's the capacity on a yeti? 50 or 55 litres? That would be 6.875 litres for an eighth , or 1.5 gallons. 180 miles on 1.5 gallons is 120mpg.

I think the reason you're seeing a certain amount of scepticism is that we've seen plenty of people on here before with completely implausible claims about performance and/or economy before, and we're pretty bored with them.

I was just excited that I'd filled up, done a trip I've done many times before and the needle had only dropped 1/8th of a tank where it would usually be at least a 1/4. Sorry if that gets your blood boiling, maybe you need to switch the news on and get passionate about something that actually matters!

God bless.

I was just excited that I'd filled up, done a trip I've done many times before and the needle had only dropped 1/8th of a tank where it would usually be at least a 1/4. Sorry if that gets your blood boiling, maybe you need to switch the news on and get passionate about something that actually matters!

God bless.

Being excited is one thing but stating a fact as the title of a thread when its actually very far from the truth is another matter and bound to get people's back up. People interested in a future purchase will read the title and assume its correct... It's not. That's all we were trying to clarify.

• Like 1

God bless.

On the contrary, I'm quite calm over here. You just seemed to be having trouble understanding what people were saying so I thought I'd try a larger font to see if that helped.

Darrell, I think it was probably a good idea to change your name from 'unreachable'.  Well done to you for that.

But you seem to be continuing to get peoples backs up whichever way you turn.  Is it everyone else that's always at fault...or could the problem lie somewhere else?

• Like 2

God bless.

And, Darrell, remember it was yourself who initially became "excited" about the 1/8th of a tank thing and spent time posting here....maybe it should have been YOU who should be taking up your own suggestion of "switching on the news" in that case, rather than posting here on a motoring forum when your concerns reside with the bigger picture elsewher?

Come on folks, calm down!

So the thread heading might be a tad extreme but everyone knows that in reality and I don't think sales of any product are going to be upped by one of exaggerated claims.... The OP has, it would appear, changed their name after starting other controversial threads and everyone appears to be on the attack.  

Every car I've owned or driven has a non-linear fuel gauge - that's a fact of life and don't we all really know that what is being reported here.

Personally, by and large, I've never seen the MPGs that people claim here with equivalent engined Yetis to TIBETs I-III. I put that down to the ever hopeful Maxidot results that are being reported rather than the more accurate brim to brim v odometer reading (if the odometer reading is accurrate, that is...). 

For the record, I've found that Maxidot versus the brim to brim method over reads by around 4-5% on average. Maxidot range on the other hand tends usefully be to be a little pessimistic as the tank empties. 

Those with ECU remaps will always scoff and slate 'tuning boxes'. Pros and cons time:

The tuning boxes are plug and play - and unplug and unplay. The latest generation tuning boxes such as the CRD-T multi channel devices work very well indeed (personal experience of recently driving a CRD-T equipped Yeti). If you use the available power, the MPG (in my experience) is much the same as without the 'box. Drive normally pre and post 'box and the MPG goes up around 1 MPG.

On the down side, the Maxidot MPG error increases from the 4-5% over read to around a 16% over read . Maxidot range with and without is actually broadly similar - slight pessimism as the tank empties.

Remaps on the modern VAG engines require a bit of open heart surgery to complete which to me seems to me a bit more severe than plugging a box in. I have no experience of a remapped Yeti but how do the pre and post MPG/range Maxidot/brim to brim figures relate?

At the end, why do we need an MPG readout on the Maxidot? Pub and Forum boasting? Range is useful to know but MPG (or average speed for that matter) is really of novelty value rather than helping with the safe or most efficient operation of the car.

Sun's shining, let's play nicely....

• Like 3