skoda fabia vrs starting and electrics issue

Okay so I've been having issues starring the car on and off since winter. Because of the cold weather, I put it down to the battery however when I had the battery tested, it was all okay. Anyway didnt do anything about it, didn't think much more of it until a few months ago when I went to the fuel station, it wouldn't start at all and had to jump it. At this point again I was thinking it was the battery or starter motor. I had the battery tested again, and it was low so had it replaced. For a few days it was fine, started first turn of the key and sounded normal for a change. However today, it took a few turns of the key to get it started. Then when I went out in it, I did the same sort of length journey that I do everyday, I got parked.up. Then about 10 minutes later I came to start it and it took about 6 turns of the key and it sounded terrible. Also the battery light sort of kept coming on and also the power steering light came on. I turned the engine off and back on again hoping the light would go out, but to my horror, it took ages to start, the light stayed on and the worst part... My power steering had completely gone. I tried turning the engine off and on again for about half an hour and no luck. Then just randomly. It started fine, and my steering came back on.then a few hours later, started first turn and everythings fine again!!! So now im thinking alternator?? I I plug it in to diagnostics will it tell me what it is or is it just a case of elimination? Any help would be appreciated! Thanks

Edited by emmast123

This sounds like a very common problem many people including myself have experienced.

First off check that the load signal wire to the alternator is not damaged or snapped, its a common fault that can easily be fixed with a couple of bullet connectors.

If you don't have access or live near anyone with vcds( vag com diagnostic software) you might struggle diagnosing the fault as a basic scan will throw up any immediate fault codes which could be causing the issue.

In my case a faulty camshaft position sensor was identified which once replaced stopped the hard starting and cutting out problems.

Not immediately clear from a basic scan but also checking the MAF sensor output against the specification highlighted a faulty MAF sensor which was also adding to the problems, similar to yiur s which I experienced.