2.5 tdi V6 economy

oh_superb

You've basically got the wrong car if you want much more economy than you are getting. 

thanks for the reply, but i definitely have the right car , just the wrong hopes and expectations.

maybe time to go to lidl for the cooking oil and run it 50 - 50,   only joking

lol...  

Supposedly the 1.9PD doesn't like veggie, don't know if you can run the 2.5 on it.

As the car is new to you, you should probably check the tyres at least, and make sure you have a clean air filter and clean, correct spec oil in it, no brakes binding, etc... those could all make a bit of a difference, but probably not much. :)  Also, the climate set to ECON will save a little, but you'll probably need it to demist the car in the coming months.  I've needed it on the last couple of days here.

The only safe way to run the 2.5 on veg oil is to get a dual tank set up with the veg oil being heated. It will be way too thick for the pump otherwise and WILL break it!

The 1.9 will definitely not run on veg. The PD engines don't like it at all due to the inejctors.

The other ways you can save are pump the tyres up, get a parking heater to pre-warm the car when it's cold and drive like miss daisy!

Sometimes you may find it more economical to get your foot down and up to speed quickly then ease off to a cruise.

Phil

Edited by Phil-E

The other ways you can save are pump the tyres up, get a parking heater to pre-warm the car when it's cold and drive like miss daisy!

Sometimes you may find it more economical to get your foot down and up to speed quickly then ease off to a cruise.

Do you know anyone who has fitted a preheater and got an economy benefit?  I had a quick look, Webasto imply that you'll only recoup around 40% of the fuel used in the heating cycle from improved economy.

I tend to floor it usually from 35 (dual carriageway roundabout exit speed) up to 70, as I think it does use less fuel than going very slowly - particularly if the road has any sort of incline.

I'm baaaaaackkkk  :sun:

433 miles, 42.1mpg overall.  Was up to 44.3 mpg at one point on the way home, but an accident on the M27 soon put paid to that.  

Don't think I'll ever make it past the mid 40's, at least not down here.  Going up the A1 to Newcastle last year got me up to 48, but that was nice clear roads and very few junctions.

Sitting sedately on the A35, A31, and M27 is quite enlightening when it comes to observing some pretty appalling driving.  It's quite amazing how people can't keep to a steady pace.

Gaz 

• Like 2

Best way I've found to really get good fuel economy is to remember that the V6 produces maximum torque at 1200 rpm ( by definition it's most efficient rpm) and that the turbo starts to cut in at around 1800 rpm, where the fuel economy starts to dive. If you've got a manual, coast where you can and use the gearbox to slow you down on hills ( closed throttle = zero fuel injection)

So, accelerate slowly between 1200 and 1800, get into top as soon as possible, build momentum on the flats to enable you to get up the hill with minimum throttle ..... and always travel to places that are at a lower altitude than your starting point :) 

Does MC Escher do maps?! :)

Had to look that one up :)

Does make a big difference though. I regularly travel to a site in Shaftesbury ( a hill top town) and the best I've ever managed is 52 mpg going there, but 63 mpg coming back.

It's all about the potential energy being stored in the cars mass when you're there and using it on the way home, which has more downhills than uphills.

The obvious "other" tip that a lot of drivers don't seem to realise is that by following the car in front at about ten car lengths distance allows you to  adjust your speed without touching the brakes and brakes make heat and heat is paid for in loss of kinetic energy  and that kinetic energy has to be replaced with heat energy from the burning of fuel.

I know it's all teaching your granny to suck eggs, but  "If you tell that to't young folk of today they just woooon't believe you"  ..... done in a Yorkshire accent for readers of a certain age :)

Edited by CRC